Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Jerry Brown Official Coach Thread [TeamEN, Returning]

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Races

• 01/07/2018, running, Disney Marathon
  • Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga (2018-05-20) #703chattanooga_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. 

• Last updated by Coach on 01/10/2018    
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 3/12/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 05/20/2018
  • On 5/21/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/3/2018

Coach Notes

Jerry, not sure how much you need to rest but want to make sure you are ready to train when you do come back. I think that you should load up the OutSeason Plan Bike Focused, and do L1 (Beg) workouts for the bike for two weeks...really no running at all until the last week of January so your body can heal back up again!  

Then you'll exit the OS into the EN*Half Plan  plan and begin prepping for CHOO 70.3™.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is: Ironman Maryland September 2021

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is: Chattanooga 70.3 May 23, 2021

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is: Boston Marathon April 2021

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/12/2020

• On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020  27 [  4  weeks  ]
    • On 11/2/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks  to end on  02/07/2021 97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 1/11/2021  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks  to end on  04/18/2021 97 [  14 weeks  ]
    • On 4/5/2021  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  5/23/2021  48 [  7  weeks  ]
    • On 5/24/2021  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  06/06/2021 13 [  2  weeks  ]
    • On 6/7/2021  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks)  to end on  07/18/2021 41 [  6  weeks  ]
    • On 7/11/2021  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  09/19/2021 70 [  10 weeks  ]
    • On 9/20/2021  Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, Trial Member Version, All Levels (4wks)  to end on  10/17/2021 27 [  4  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: Been running marathons for 20 yrs (40+), triathlons off and on for 18 yrs. Have completed 5 Ironmans, 9 HIMs, but its been several yrs since last triathlon

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: Finishing 2021 with 3 dominant performances leaving me healthy and looking for more.

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Myself. Keeping focus and attention to the effort required to succeed and reach my goals.

Anything Else We Should Know?  Nope

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@JerryB Super cool have you with us. 👊

Our short term goals are:

• Get subscribed to Coach Thread (and dialogue via email)
    • Start using the Final Surge app (if you haven't already)
    • Establish consistency - find a repeatable workout pattern between (family, work, etc.)
    • Join our private chat and community
    • See the big picture and explore the site & forums

Let's get after it! 👊

If you have any questions getting started - schedule a call with me here.

Talk you you soon,

Matt

------------------

Things to do:

#1 Respond below

Post a comment below or give me an 😀, 👍️ or a short GTG. Let me know you are subscribed and will respond back via email. Let's get the conversation started!

#2 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us.

How to subscribe screen capture. Click on the star. Boom. You are all set.

#3 How to use your Coach Thread 

This is totally up to you. You can post a lot or very little. You post. We answer. We find it is helpful for you and us, if you post a weekly update once you get started. Pick a day. Any day that works for you. Many athletes pick Sunday to summarize the week. Others pick Friday to end the work week and get ready for the weekend. Choose something works for you. Comment on how you felt this week, what went well, and what you want to work on for next week. Its good accountability and helps you keep you on track for your goals. After a couple of posts, you can decide on what the level of interaction works best for you!

#4 Get Setup in Final Surge

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

#5 Consider downloading the Final Surge App

We definitely want to see those hours, miles, watts and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, energy level, how mentally/physically easy or hard the workout was for you. The workout isn’t over until you make some notes. And the app makes this way easier. 

Data + notes = complete story. Workout data is only only half the picture. Your comments provide the other half. You could be crushing all the workouts but feel terrible or feeling great. Work, family, sleep can all be factors in how you are training. So, how you felt is just as important as posting the workout. 

To make comments, select the activity and click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Just a quick note goes a long way.

Download Final Surge | Mobile Apps Here

#6 Quick Start Guide

Here is the reference guide on how to read the workouts, abbreviations and lingo.

#7 Customize your workouts in Final Surge

You can wait on this one. But remember it is an option. You will eventually do bike and run test. We will use your average power (or heart rate) for a 20' time trial to set you customized workout zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) or 20' @(100- 110 Watts) vs. 20' @ Zone 2.  We can do the same thing for the run. Once you do a 5k race we can use your average pace or heart rate to establish run zones too!

Here is a video on how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones. 

#8 Join our private group chat

We also have a group chat - with specific Run, Bike, Swim, groups. The rest of our Team is in there. It would be super cool to have you in there too. With your experience you could help other athletes or just stalk it and watch it for a while and see if it your thing. Coach Patrick and I are always in those groups. The groups only talk workouts, training, racing etc - no other noise and its only EN Team members. Here is your invite. Check it out!

#9 See the big picture and explore ways to get smarter

See the big picture. Join Coach Patrick for a walkthrough of the Endurance Nation Athlete experience to learn more about how our system works to help you achieve your personal best. You'll want to watch the Phase One Structure videos -- there are four -- to get completely up to speed!

Coach Patrick has designed a Season Roadmap for you. The progression of workouts will get you fitter and prepare you physically to race but, getting smarter about training and race execution is what sets Endurance Nation apart from other programs. Here you have access to Coach Patrick (11x Kona qualifier), a library of his Coach Lessons, and the experience of hundreds of other athletes across all age groups - willing to share their advice and what has worked (or not) for them. We would love to have your experience and voice in those forums too.

Explore the Forums

All these topics are covered in our forums: Want to know the best equipment to buy? Where to stay for your race? How to triage you week of training when you have to travel for work? How to ride hills efficiently? How manage your power and heart rate on a hot day? You name it the Team can help you and make you a smarter athlete. There is free speed out there just by being smarter at how you play the game.

Search our Race Forum for race plans and race reports. Learn from the shared experience of the entire Team

Read the General Training Discussions and get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans.

Learn how to race like veteran. Dial in your race execution using EN race guidance

#10 Smart Trainer Integration

If you want to join us on Zwift here is how. We have big group of athletes that ride together and use a voice app to talk - just like like a big group ride. Logon on and join a group ride. Use the Group Me Zwift Chat to stay up to date on when we are riding. 

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. Scroll down. Find your plan - link to the pre-built workouts are on the right

If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library.

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

#11 Whew. You made it.

You don't have to do it all a once but, we would love it if you responded below. I'm here talk you through all of the above. I would love to hear from you.

Matt

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@JerryB Brenda mentioned you might need some help with your schedule next week. How can we help?

• Options

I am traveling to Orlando this coming Monday and no access to bike for the week. Would like to make it a run focused week with strength conditioning obviously included. Can you adjust my schedule appropriately. Feeling great and getting in some awesome workouts. Want to keep the momentum going. Thanks, Jerry. My first post! :)

• Options

@JerryB Thanks for the heads up. You can move all the workouts around to fit your schedule. Here some guidelines.

-Avoid doing the Tempo run and Long run back to back

-Follow the Tempo run with a easier 30' brick.

-Add only 10' to those easy brick runs. A little extra mileage is okay this week. We don't want a big jump.

-We would like to get the bike intervals in this week if we can.

So, I extended the "brick" runs to 30'. I moved the bike intervals to Sun. I left the cross training in there as an option. Do one or the other not both!

Right now I left the long run on Sat with bike intervals on Sun.

It would be great if you could get the long in Fri. Then Bike on Sat. Cross train on Sun.

How does that sound?

• Options

My bad for incomplete info. Will not have access to bike next weekend either. We are driving back to Virginia on Monday Oct. 26th (rest day) and will resume bike workouts Tuesday the 27th and going forward. Slowly learning how to use Final Surge for accuracy.

• Options

@Gerald Brown Jerry thanks for the full story! 🤣 Our best option is to get something in everyday. The long run on Sat would be great, if that can fit your driving schedule. We will pick back up on Tues!

• Options

Boston Marathon rescheduled to Fall TBD, so obviously need to alter my training plans. Is that something I need to do through Coach Patrick. And if so, how do I go about doing that.

• Options
    Gerald,
    Yeah. I saw that. Real bummer. But at least you know now and can plan.
    Depending on your goals and the weather by you we can talk about shifting
    your marathon prep or keeping it the way it is if that time of year works
    for you to develop your fitness and time trial an effort.
    If you have other events or want to shift to other dates use this link

See the big red button at the bottom of the page and re-submit for a new
    season roadmap.
  • Options

No big red button at the bottom of the page. New roadmap for sure with cancellation of Boston. "A" race is now Chattanooga 70.3, outseason with bike emphasis, and "B" race is Ironman Maryland. My training for fall Ironman shouldcome close to cover my training needs for Boston. First 8 miles of Boston and miles 20.5-23 are quad demanding so bike training has an added benefit. This coming Boston I'll be 64, so following year I get an extra 15 minute qualifying break. We can always tweak schedule once we have a Boston date. Ready to Roll!

• Options

How do I go about a new roadmap? Boston poatponement til the fall changes my emphasis over the outseason considerably. "A" race is now Chattanooga 70.3, with bike emphasis for outseason and no marathon training per se until after "Choo". Training for the 70.3 covers a good bit towards the full and Boston in the fall. Do I need to reach out to Coach P?

• Options

okay, switched outseason to bike focused for entire 14 weeks, removed marathon training section, and extended half ironman prep for entire 12 weeks. 3 week gap between end of prep for 70.3 and actual race can be modified sometime over the course of the outseason. Does that sound about right?

• Options

@Gerald Brown You can use 3 of the 4 weeks of the Half IM prep BEFORE the 12 week Half Bike Focused block. That will push the 12 week block up against the race nicely. That is what the prep block is designed for!

Excellent work!

• Options

@Gerald Brown

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several TeamChat channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN Chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• Options

@Gerald Brown - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

I think the bike fitness is the place to start for sure...and you can see / feel the results. We can be patient on the run. And @Jonathan Benson would be the first to tell you that his mental grit was built, not gifted. The work you were doing right now is critical, and the foundation for future success. Those healthy habits are white compound over time!

Rate Your Fitness (Scale of 1 to 3):

• Your Swim: 1
    • Your Bike: 1
    • Your Run: 2
    • Body Composition: 2
    • Additional Info:
    • Biggest Improvement So Far? increased bike fitness through more saddle time
    • How Else Can We Help You? #MentalGrit like Jonathan Benson
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes