Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Mark Roberts Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I have been fairly unorganized in my training for the past year - Fitness is ok though. Prior to Christmas I was doing a lot of rides on Zwift and FTP was where it usually is in the Spring. Running has been my weak spot recently as I had hip/hamstring issues that limited my running all through 2017. 

Your Races

• 06/03/2018 Ironman 70.3 Kraichgau (2018-06-03)
  • Ironman European Championships (2018-07-08) #IMEuroChamps_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

•  Last updated by Coach on 01/12/2018
  • On 1/8/18 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/18
  • On 4/16/18 Load the Intermediate EN*Full to end on 7/8/18
  • On 7/9/18 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/5/18

Coach Notes

I say you plan on the OS, but keep the run light and simple. Just frequency and self care so you can run a lot. That will add up and give you speed without the risk that intensity brings. Deal? 

And enjoy your trips / weekends, the Mallorca camp will boost you big time for the Half En Route to the Full. Remember, you will need at least one hard day off a week....so honor your body!!!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I agree, the run durability is key. Can't tell what plans you have loaded now in Final Surge but I have my recommendations below. I think we'll want you to target some run mileage as 20/20/24/20/24/28/20/28 for your 8 OS weeks, such that you exit into the last 12 weeks of the EN full plan "on time" with the run fitness. No long run is required...just lots of runs!

You'll want to spend time on Zwift on the weekends so you are ready for the MTS in Mallorca...going to be EPIC out there (again) and it would be nice for you to be ready.

LMK what you think and if you need help!

Your Races

• Ironman Lanzarote (2019-05-25) #IMLanzarote_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Final Surge website. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/14/19
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  4/14/2019
    • On 3/4/2019 Load the -- EN*Full Bike Focused to end on  5/26/2019
    • On 5/27/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on  6/23/2019

Your Notes

Happy new year! Just checking in to start the season. I raced IM Frankfurt last year on below average fitness as well as a few halfs. After being run limited most of 2017 I have never gotten the anywhere near the run fitness I had in 2014 and 2015. Training and racing in Europe has been great for travel but not so good for training! Great experiences though. This will likely be my last year over here as we are due to move this summer but don't know where. That said I decided to continue to focus on bucket list races and I signed up for Lanzarote! (A week later I found I got entry into Roth but will likely defer that to 2020 as we will probably be moving that month.Started some focused training in October and started the Nov Outseason, was making good progress on the bike -- Got FTP up to 252 or so before running a mid month half marathon in November in a not too impressive 1:41. Then in the next 8 weeks we went to Milan, Verona (for the half marathon), Vienna, Budapest, Rothenburg, and then did a week long trip before Christmas to Cologne, Dresden and Prague. So, my training kinda fell off and Im somewhat starting over again. I have 20 weeks until Lanzarote which is the only race I'm focusing on this year. Need to get in consistent running as well as build strong bike fitness for arguably one of the toughest bike courses on the IM circuit. Planning on Mallorca camp in April which will be good timing (Check to you is in the mail.) Let me know what you think, I was thinking last 8 weeks of Outseason (with some swimming) then 12 week IM build. I was about to start the VO2 blocks before my training fell off. The few workouts I did showed me that my 30sec, 1min and 5 min power suck compared to m 20 min and 60 min. Anyway -- No rush on this. FYI Lanzarote it 25 May.

Hope you and your family are well!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Patrick,

Just wanted to check in and update you on how the first several weeks of IM prep is going prior to Mallorca. I was selected for Col earlier this year and had to go on a 1 week trip to the US on the 1st week of March. It kinda messed up 2 weekends and really limited my training. Additionally, I got sick on the front end with some type of stomach bug and basically didn't train all week as well as dealing w the jet lag on both ends. Had a good 2.5 weeks of training with a few 10 mile runs and a couple 3 hr trainer rides on Zwift and was in a good build until this week. Did my FTP test Tuesday and got within 5 watts of my all time high in FTP at about 3.9 w/kg although I know I don't yet have the 5 hr endurance I need for IM. Then I spent the rest of this week with a low grade fever, cough, sinus crud etc. that I got from my family.

I feel like I've made some good gains but am concerned about a 2nd illness in 4 weeks. Its making hard to string together any consistency. I missed 3 days of training, am feeling better but still no where near 100% and plan to just do some easy Z1-2 riding on the trainer this weekend and cut it short if I start coughing or anything. Focusing on good sleep, hydration and trying to knock this out as soon as possible.

Going forward -- I have about 10 days to train assuming I get healthy quick before I leave for Mallorca. I'm arriving pretty early on Wed the 10th. I also have a 3 day weekend next weekend and thinking about doing a 3 day bike block of some fashion just to jump start some volume before camp -- I also haven't been outside much due to weather here. Hopefully can also get in at least one long run in the next 10 days. Any thoughts on specifics? (realize i have to get healthy first)

Secondly -- I will have Wed (travel day) through Sat in Mallorca before the camp rides start on Sunday. I would like to get in some good training but obviously have to balance that with family time. I'm thinking a long run and a few rides starting early so that I have most of the day Thurs, Friday, Saturday w Katy and the boys. Let me know if you have any recommendations given those parameters -- Looking forward to an awesome week in Mallorca!

• Options

Thanks for reaching out! I know you feel up against it right now, but I think the progression is pretty good given all the things that you’re dealing with. The timing of the bike camp is perfect in terms of speaking your volume and then returning you back home again to be Iron Man specific over the final weeks.

I recommend that you Focus on a weekly run in that 10 to 12 mile range and we can carry that through camper. All other runs can be shorter, ideally with the total run accumulation in the 28 to 30 mile range.

Yes to a minibike camp over the long weekend, at least two back to back days of longer rides. Don’t worry about being outside, it’s more about just getting the rides done. None of us here in the US have been outside really!

When you were there on the ground I would use that lighthouse route as you go to auction. It’s close to town and you can go easy or hard and get some good riding in. I wouldn’t do you any volume necessarily but you should be able to get in an hour to 90 minutes of quality work, plenty at ABP.

During camp your mission will be to runoff of all the bikes. Even if it’s just 10 minutes. Nothing fancy just adding a little more time to the equation. Once you get back you’ll be ready to rock.