Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Naftali Presser Official Coach Thread

@naftali presser -

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Racing history: 

• started racing (of any kind, no athletic history, etc... trying!) in 2016: 
  • first race: Ironman Syracuse 70.3 -6/2016: result DNF- swim 74 min, bike 4:22, didn't bother running-really wasn't prepared for this...)
  • second race: 10K in Los Angeles (10/29/2016)- first completed race- 55min
  • third race: 1/2 marathon- San diego (3/2017)- completed in 1:55
  • fourth race: 1/2 marathon - mammoth lakes (8000-9000' elevation) completed in 2:10
  • fifth: IMLP 70.3 - DNF on swim ~75min- felt better prepared overall than Syracuse but didn't make it through swim
  • sixth- Arizona 70.3- aborted pre-race 2/2 ankle injury (sprain following fall down stairs- just stupid stuff, not traning related injury)

Currently Training: 

• run about 25 miles per week (long ~11-13mi)
  • biking mostly on trainer (2-3 sessions per week - also daily biking as commuter) long rides when have time off are about 60-70 miles
  • swimming- hired a swimming coach after last debacle in placid- improving but still the weakest link...
  • overall doing ~6-7 sessions per week depending on work schedule (highly variable and unpredictable)

Your Races

• Los Angeles Marathon 3/18/2018
  • Wildflower olympic triathlon 5/6/2018
  • Ironman Boulder (2018-06-10) #IMBoulder_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on January 24, 2018
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 3/26/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Full to end on 6/10/2018

Coach Notes

Okay, great to have you here Naftali!!! So we can talk more on our call -- https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min -- but I want you to load our OutSeason Plan, Run Focused, and do the L1 workouts. You can take Mondays / Fridays off to recover, but the structure of the plan is great, especially on the early end. 

** Note, you load your own plans!!! **

I assume you have some kind of Marathon Plan for LA, if not, let me know and I can help you modify your plan to account for it. 

Regardless, you will exit the OutSeason®  a bit early and load up the Full Plan (Again, doing Level 1 workouts) to prepare for Boulder. Along the way you'll do Wildflower. You'll be fit enough for it, but I don't want to take away from the overall "pull" of Boulder by modifying the season. 

When it comes to race week, we can adjust your IM training for it, but for right now let's get you into your OS plan on the right schedule!!!!

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    limiters: my swimming is atrocious. did the swim test with t-time of 2:45/100. DNF x2 secondary to bad swim.
    biking limiter is speed- in my attempts to work on the bike have been able to increase duration/distance of my long rides to 60-70 miles but my speed is exactly the same as it was several months ago...
    Success in 2018: tier 1: completion of marathon in 4:20 or less, Ironman-complete
    Tier 2 (but to be honest part of me won't be really satisfied with just tier 1...) Marathon as above, ironman Boulder in 13:00 or at least 13:30.

PS you wrote in your outline to load the bike Outseason plan then in text the run, i assume you meant the run but just wanted to confrim
    thx
  • Options
    @Naftali Presser -  thanks for catching my error on the specific focus of your training. You are correct, I would like the run plan to be there. We do the run focus an odd years, so this being your first year is where we want you to spend your time.

What steps are you taking to address the swim? There’s a lot you can do to improve.

The way we recommend that you fast track the swim is to find someone locally who can give you swim lessons… Or enroll in a total immersion weekend seminar. 

What you need is essentially someone to give you feedback that you can then put into action right away. Repeating that process will help you fast track a few critical changes. Given your lack of speed in the water, my assumption is that your body position, or alignment, is the biggest limiter. Having someone give you feedback or seeing yourself on video can be super important.

Let me know what your plan is for this area when you get a chance.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    for swim: working with swimming instructor - making some progress.
    run: marathon training continues to be bothered by nagging achilles irritation backed off entirely for last week and feels better so will restart running in the next 2 days and hopefully things are better...
    Testing has been a problem: tried run test three times: First 2 had to pull over after 1-1.5 miles with really bad side stitches.. third time is when this whole achilles thing started so since then I have tabled testing until after LA marathon
    completed bike test but think I must have messed something up as was really low on HR... so will be completing again this week and will see if changes.
    so been a bit rocky start but will keep plugging away at it....
    np
  • Options
     I appreciate the update. There is no need to test right now given the Achilles situation you’re dealing with. We can always adjust those zones in the future when you’re healthy. For now, your injury is your coach. Which means I would like you running for frequency but not for intensity. When you get back to running, make sure you do so on a flat soft surface and you include a 10 minute walking warm up.

Since this is your Achilles, can you tell me about the shoes that you wear? Sometimes people wear racing shoes which can aggravate that. 
  • Options

shoes: saucony iso series -size 14 Im not really sure what constitutes racing shoes vs running shoes to be honest! also on long runs usually have the right ankle wrapped with an ace since the bad sprain I had back in September from fall down stairs....

• Options
    @Naftali Presser 

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory,  3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory,  3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 1

• Bike Fitness: 1

• Run Fitness: 2

• Weight / Body Composition: 1

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? consistency in running- shorter runs (5-7miles) now don't feel like Im dead at the end and feel like I could keep going....

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Many to all....- unfortunately the last month has been incredibly busy workwise and thus really haven't been able to appropriately delve into the program as well as hoped...

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? pending see above.

-NP

• Options
    @Naftali Presser – Thank you for being so candid! This is always a tough time of year when without an event it’s hard to be consistent. I am not worried about your swim at all, so please feel free to let that go. I would like to see you with some kind of bike consistency.

Theoretically that should be an easy win for you especially on the trainer.

If it’s easier than logging into the website,  please feel free to reach out to me via phone and I’ll be happy to get you dialed in. It’s important to remember that I’m still here to help! 

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min  that is my Calendar link or if none of those times work for you, please text me here and we’ll set something up: 6175133830 
  • Options
    @Naftali Presser

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

OK event one in the books

LA marathon

5K: 30:00

10K: 1:00:31

15K: 1:31:53

20K: 2:03:53

25K: 2:40:07

30K: 3:18:36

35K: 4:01:34

40K: 4:43:46

final: 4:58:10

Plan was: keep to 9:30-10:00 pace throughout.

Every other aid station (even) hydrate with Cup (4-6Oz) of Gatorade endurance (the on course nutrition) and alternate aid stations (odd) take 4-5 gummy fish for additional calories. 

reality: followed this for the first 9 miles then progressively thirstier and thirstier so changed to every aid station taking in Gatorade endurance (sometimes followed by chase of water...) and by end desperately wished for more aid stations (more than every mile) as was dying of thirst (or at least the sensation...)

• Options
    @Naftali Presser Thanks for passing that along...looks like things started slipping a bit early (around 20k) before really blowing up. The heat is hard this early in the year, but still some good lessons for you here. 
    • You need to enter the race hydrated (2-3 bottles of Gatorade endurance a day, for 3 days prior). 
    • Race Morning has 1 bottle of Gatorade Endurance with breakfast.
    • You need more calories than gummy fish (adorable, but not fuel). I suggest PowerBar Gels (1 per 45' for you), or if you prefer Gummies, then try Clif Bloks and do one piece every 2 miles.
    • External cooling...we can only drink so much, but getting wet (or carrying ICE in your hands) can help you stay cooler from a core body temp perspective.
    Moving forward, you have longer workouts to get in. The trainer is hard, for sure but we want to make sure that you are logging those miles according to the plan, especially on Sat / Sun. I am not super worried about the mid-week FTP session which is easy to do on the Trainer. We do a lot of riding on Zwift ( Getting Started on Zwift ) as a team, if you are "connected" enough that might keep you going longer than 2.5 hours. Otherwise, maybe plan on 2.5 inside then change, fuel, and ride another 1-2 hours outside when it's warmer. 

From a nutrition perspective, it's time to dial in a sweat test (weigh your self before / after an hour of your ride) full instructions are here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Nutrition+Central  This will give us a ballpark of the fluids you will need to carry and consume on race day...which might mean making some changes to your bike set up to hold fluids. For reference, i drink 2 x 24oz bottles per hour on the bike, and on "hotter" days (80+) I will start with 3 bottles in the first hour. 

You can also begin to use that guidance from the Nutrition section to carry GE on all of your runs (ALL) and drink 4oz of fluid per mile...even f that means a 10" walk break. I use a 4 bottle fuelbelt which gets me through 8 miles and do "loops" to refuel. 

Anything else I missed? Let me know!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    OK question re: arranging this weekend (RR 1 for Boulder)- logistics with work necessitate some changes 2/2 funky work logistics....

Possibility 1:
    Friday: swim long, bike medium (3-4 hours on trainer)
    Saturday: long run
    sunday: the 6 hour ride+1hour run

possibility 2: 
    Friday: swim long
    Saturday: 3-4 hour trainer ride
    Sunday The 6 hour ride +1 hour
    Monday: long run

I realize that these are not optimal but may be all I'm able to pull off....
    thoughts appreciated.
    NP
  • Options
    @Naftali Presser - So sorry, I was away running a training camp. If I had my way I would have picked the first option. What did you choose?
  • Options

So as it happens I needed to change things up.

Friday: long swim (3500m), Long run- (2 hours-12miles)- feeling trashed after swim- literally spent the last 300 meters fighting mutilple cramps per length of pool and then aborted the last few hundred so as not to kill the rest of the workouts of the weekend… on run couldn’t get heart rate down (until sun went down- think I’m super heat sensitive as literally just crossing street into shade dropped HR 15 points). 

Sat: only got in 90min on trainer- was planned to be my “second ride (backwards)” but at end of Friday run felt some nagging discomfort in left knee so decided to keep it light in anticipation of Sunday/work stuff

Sunday: - did 100miles in the 6 hours (4295 feet elevation gain)- felt pretty good- then ran 6.7 miles in 65 min- also feeling reasonable –couldn’t get HR quite down to end of ride level  low 140s) but was able to keep it in the upper 140s for the first 3-4 miles before starting to climb…) 

Now my left knee is swollen, doesn’t hurt much but pretty tight so was going to try to swim today but no running

• Options

@Coach Patrick

So as it happens I needed to change things up.

Friday: long swim (3500m), Long run- (2 hours-12miles)- feeling trashed after swim- literally spent the last 300 meters fighting mutilple cramps per length of pool and then aborted the last few hundred so as not to kill the rest of the workouts of the weekend… on run couldn’t get heart rate down (until sun went down- think I’m super heat sensitive as literally just crossing street into shade dropped HR 15 points). 

Sat: only got in 90min on trainer- was planned to be my “second ride (backwards)” but at end of Friday run felt some nagging discomfort in left knee so decided to keep it light in anticipation of Sunday/work stuff

Sunday: - did 100miles in the 6 hours (4295 feet elevation gain)- felt pretty good- then ran 6.7 miles in 65 min- also feeling reasonable –couldn’t get HR quite down to end of ride level  low 140s) but was able to keep it in the upper 140s for the first 3-4 miles before starting to climb…) 

Now my left knee is swollen, doesn’t hurt much but pretty tight so was going to try to swim today but no running

• Options
     Nice work, but I’m sorry to hear about your knee! That’s crazy, and rest is definitely best. Ice and elevate that thing and do plenty of walking to stay mobile. Swim and bike should be OK but try and keep the elevation way down. You don’t need anything right now just aerobic time! 
  • Options
    OK just wanted to check in.  Boulder is in the Books (DNF on bike at mile 64... I've written a short report and posted to get input from the team.  Now wanted to check in as to best next move.  my thoughts right now are as follows:
    Had I successfully finished Boulder my next idea was to start working on my actual speed in running and on the bike- likely in the setting of a 70.3 just to make things a little more manageable than trying to do this within the context of a full (my next short term goal was to do a half in sub 6).

I will need to complete a 70.3 before re-attempting a full (this is a mandate from the wife who now requires I run all races I sign up for by her first. ;) 
    which race I am shooting for is a bit up in the air - likely in the fall oct/nov time. I wont know for a bit which one as it will likely be dictated by location and my position in Los Angeles is ending so not quite sure where I'll be living in the next few months....

So was wondering best plan to load... don't want to lose too much fitness as the reality is I just had a break with the taper and ultimately all I did yesterday was a good workout- legs aren't even sore at all so don't really need a longer recovery period....
    NP

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    posted yesterday but forgot to tag.  no rush. sorry if already seen...
    OK just wanted to check in.  Boulder is in the Books (DNF on bike at mile 64... I've written a short report and posted to get input from the team.  Now wanted to check in as to best next move.  my thoughts right now are as follows:
    Had I successfully finished Boulder my next idea was to start working on my actual speed in running and on the bike- likely in the setting of a 70.3 just to make things a little more manageable than trying to do this within the context of a full (my next short term goal was to do a half in sub 6).

I will need to complete a 70.3 before re-attempting a full (this is a mandate from the wife who now requires I run all races I sign up for by her first.  
    which race I am shooting for is a bit up in the air - likely in the fall oct/nov time. I wont know for a bit which one as it will likely be dictated by location and my position in Los Angeles is ending so not quite sure where I'll be living in the next few months....

So was wondering best plan to load... don't want to lose too much fitness as the reality is I just had a break with the taper and ultimately all I did yesterday was a good workout- legs aren't even sore at all so don't really need a longer recovery period....
    NP
  • Options
    @Naftali Presser - Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Sounds like you feel good, but I am still annihilated from the weekend! I’m sorry to hear about the DNF for the day, but conditions were quite extreme. It was hard to cheer at some point.

Even though you didn’t execute the full race, it’s important to remember that the fatigue associated with the race is a combination of what you do on the day as well as all of the work you do up until that day. Another words, while you feel pretty rested, I assure you that deep down inside a part of you was fairly tired.

Without a specific race on the calendar, here is what I recommend. 

Step one, enjoy very light activity this week and being normal this weekend. This means going out with your wife and sleeping in. As normal as you can make it! I would then load up the blender ability to plan next week for four weeks. It will be good to challenge the run of it into reestablish your consistency.

This will get you through early July and you’re welcome to “modified” the plan by adding in a longer ride every other weekend. If you have upgraded to final surge, I can make a modification to show you what I mean and the training calendar. Let me know.

Once you have completed these four weeks, we can then transition you to more of a traditional Triathlon plan. Likely to get fast plan to reestablish some of that speed you mentioned. Hopefully by then you will have also identified a target race, or at least have one or two options in mind.

I would encourage you to look at some of the low hanging fruit during this downtime as well. For example, if you can improve core strength with a few key workouts a week, or  improve body composition with a few tweaks to your diet, those can go along way to setting you up for success later.

Basically you have a free four weeks here to make some small changes that could pay big dividends. Let me know what you decide to focus on and I’m happy to help you structure that/assist you.

Good luck being normal! :-) 
  • Options
    OK so i kinda failed at being normal so am ready to get back to work.  the last 6-7 weeks since boulder were mediocre: busy with finishing work here in LA.  kept up about low 20s miles running per week (1 longish =7-11 miles, 2-3 shorts of 5 miles...).  swimming suffered greatest and just got back in the pool actually didn't feel that bad and my pace was pretty similar to where i left off albeit the endurance part was not quite what it was...  Cycling has been limited to a couple of intensity sessions per week. now ready to get back to real training.  
    notes to work with:

1. have 3 months off as switching jobs and won't start until nov 1 in Nashville so want to make the most of the time. 
    2. will be out of the country for 2 weeks (last 2 weeks in August) mostly can get some runs in and will be doing a lot of hiking...)

Target race(s): was thinking of trying to get ready for Ironman Louisville.  alternate plan would be scraping the full length for this year and doing a half (IM70.3 AZ?) and working towards an early season half and then trying for the full again next summer (probably Placid ....)
    open to any thoughts ....
    Presser

• Options
    @Coach Patrick

(apparently I cannot remember to tag people....)
    OK so i kinda failed at being normal so am ready to get back to work.  the last 6-7 weeks since boulder were mediocre: busy with finishing work here in LA.  kept up about low 20s miles running per week (1 longish =7-11 miles, 2-3 shorts of 5 miles...).  swimming suffered greatest and just got back in the pool actually didn't feel that bad and my pace was pretty similar to where i left off albeit the endurance part was not quite what it was...  Cycling has been limited to a couple of intensity sessions per week. now ready to get back to real training.  
    notes to work with: 

1. have 3 months off as switching jobs and won't start until nov 1 in Nashville so want to make the most of the time. 
    2. will be out of the country for 2 weeks (last 2 weeks in August) mostly can get some runs in and will be doing a lot of hiking...)

Target race(s): was thinking of trying to get ready for Ironman Louisville.  alternate plan would be scraping the full length for this year and doing a half (IM70.3 AZ?) and working towards an early season half and then trying for the full again next summer (probably Placid ....)
    open to any thoughts ....
    Presser
  • Options
    @Naftali Presser -  no worries man, I’ve been on vacation as well so it’s been hard to reach me.

I like the idea of Louisville because we can build on the work you’ve already done for this year. One of the key factors is also understanding your free time as a great option. You were not going to have the opportunity to train them a cover like this for quite some time. So it’s a great investment not only in the short term but the long term as well.

Can I see you load up the bike focus plan to get you to Louisville and we make some Modifications. Let me know if you are on FinalSurge and I can edit a week for you so you could see what I mean.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2018 2:51AM

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Naftali, thanks for submitting this. To keep with the Core / PreOS plan, I have you on the Run Durability Program right now through the new year. So you can add a bike session in place of the existing swim; you and I can sort that out in Final Surge as needed. I would encourage you to also add the Functional Strength plan as an "overlay" to your Final Surge plan; it's under the View My Plans page on Final Surge. That should complement the work you are doing.

Reviewing your workout data from last year, I think the run consistency piece was really lacking. This Fall is a great time to build that up and get you into a place where you feel strong and smooth running. All of this before We get into the Traditional OutSeason® .

As for the Marathon, let's see how you fare with The early training. I prefer you train for the full and run the half; but it might be nice for you to get the 26.2 under you belt early. This will allow us to dial the run back a bit and focus more on the bike / swim into Placid.

Your Races

• 03/24/2019- LA marathon- though not essential 
    • 70.3 Chattanooga on May 19, 2019
    • Ironman Lake Placid (2018-07-22)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/07/2018
    • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
    • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 3/10/2019 Load the Swim Camp to end on 5/19/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 4/29/2019 Load the EN*Full Run Focused to end on 7/28/2019
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 09/22/2019

Your Notes

This year was as follows:

LA marathon- completed (first marathon; 4:58)

Ironman Boulder: DNF- survived swim (2:07), DNF on bike at mile 64

Olympic tri (local socal race) - DNS 2/2 illness.

Currently keeping up running (~20 miles/week)

trainer sessions (mostly 60-150 minutes (3 times per week)

swimming currently on hiatus as moving

started a pre-outseason core similar to outseason but need some time to build up as little core strength

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

OK so somehow there was a snafu and one of my races (early) was omitted..

current schedule:

• Last updated by Coach on 10/07/2018
    • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
    • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
    • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the Swim Camp to end on 4/28/2019

I am signed up for 70.3 Chattanooga on May 19, 2019.

Just wondering if I should move up the OS plan up and adding the half plan ending 5/19 before transitioning to the full plan for Placid?

Thank for any updates.

• Options

@Naftali Presser - erg...I hate it when that happens. 😠 I have adjusted it in the OP above.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Just an update: so Los Angeles Marathon is off the schedule... I'm on call that weekend....which might just be for the better as the OS intensity sessions are killing me.....

so for now its 70.3 Choo on 5/19 and IMLP 7/28

np

• Options

@Naftali Presser The universe works in mysterious ways! I agree it’s probably for the better. If required, make sure you have extra time on Sunday or Monday to recover. Sounds like you might want an actual “full day” off to in sure that you are better. Your ability to recover is what dictates the work you’ll be able to handle!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

wanted to touch base re: the plans I should have in place.

currently the coaches thread says....

• On 3/10/2019 Load the Swim Camp to end on 5/19/2019
    • >> Transition Early <<

This is confusing.... I'm doing IM 70.3 Choo on 5/19/2019 and IMLP on 7/28/2019 so i am thinking this is what was meant but please verify....

1/7/2019 start Jan OS (which i did...)

transition on 3/10/2019 to Half IM program ? ending 5/19/2019??? did not think you meant the swim camp for >2 months ?

and then 5/19 after my 70.3 load IM full run focused ending on 7/28/2019?

thanks for clarifying....or did you have something else in mind?

Best

Naftali Presser

• Options

So sorry. You are right, I want you and a half plan so you can begin to prepare for Chattanooga and then on the 29th you transition to the full plan.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

HI. So need your thoughts on a few.....

1. My EN icon on final surge disappeared … I think my account may have been disabled.... need to get it running ASAP as Placid coming up.... AHHHHHH!!!
    2. I posted the IMChoo 70.3 report to the forums. Unfortunately, didn't really get to trial bike pacing and the run was shot... hills on placid a concern as I'm generally pretty bad at hills...wondering if any modifications of bike sessions leading up to placid would be beneficial (keeping in mind that general fitness is not the best and an IM is a stretch for me I cant really skimp on anything else.... as all three disciplines need work!
    3. Hydration/nutrition: I know a big topic but this is likely what brought me down in my first IM attempt (last year Boulder) - Forced myself to hydrate this time better and think it did help but I noticed that still having difficulty with nausea/slushiness on run.... best way to deal with this is this simply a salt issue? noticed my hydration needs/sweat rate has changed pretty dramatically since moving (Was in West Los Angeles, CA and now in heat and humidity of Nashville, TN) and feel like i'm needing a lot more hydration - it seems like placid is probably about in between these so is it best just to split the difference in terms of sweat rate/volume needed?

Thanks

NP