Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

South Africa 70.3 World Champs Travel advice Needed

South Africa 70.3 World Champs is in less then 9 months and I need to start making some travel arrangements.  TBT is expensive ($600) but still a no brainer.  I need hotel for the race and advice for side trips.  Anybody been to South Africa and had particular sites, safari locales, restaurants, wineries, etc that are not to be missed?  If there are travel agents or guides here or abroad that you recommend, I'd like to hear about it.  thanks ahead of time.  By the way I know about the $40 off this week on TBT. code IMFORTY18
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Paul Hough - can give advice here.....
  • Options
    @RobertSabo - many of the hotels are already booked or have 8 night minimum stays.  I'm staying at the Protea Marine where I was last year.  However, Deepak Patel (Deepakp@premiumplus-Sports.com) might be able to help you if you can't find anything.  He is a self-employed travel agent who works with Team USA athletes and is also working the South Africa 70.3WC.  

My son and I used 
    http://www.alantours.co.za/ to go to Addo Elephant Park and then into the mountains to ride, feed, and stand next to bull elephants...two separate tours in one day.  I'm going with another son this time and will repeat the Addo tour with him, but choose a different follow-on tour so I get to see something new.  I missed Bayworld last year so I'm going to do that this time to see the penguins.  I didn't do any wineries, and the food at my hotel was excellent so the only fine dining I did was at De Kelder which was right next door to my hotel on Marine Drive.  With the exchange rate, dinner still cost less than $60 for a very classy restaurant with multiple servers working each table, etc.   We ate lunch at a beach grill on the water one day - Something Good Roadhouse - which was worth doing for casual atmosphere and the views.  

I don't agree that TBT is a no-brainer.  Taking my case again for $0 roundtrip cost like I did last year seems to be the no-brainer for me.  

I'll be buying my airfare next month...not looking forward to that ouch!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2018 10:58PM
    Endurance Sports Travel is my first thought for the easy option.
  • Options
    Hello Robert
    IM has a poc point of contact, her name is "Jody" you can find her at the IM web site, she has been of great help.
    My Air flights were arranged by AAA they got me rates much less than I could have done.
    besides hotels  there are lots of B & B.
    I'm certain there are still places to find, but further out from the race site. Congrats for winning a spot
    Eugene 
  • Options
    Hi guys!  How easy is it to get around Port Elizabeth?  I really don’t want to try to drive as a) I don’t have an international license b) not excited about trying to drive on the left and c) would rather not have that extra expense....  

thoughts would be be greatly appreciated!! 
  • Options
    Julia - you do not need an international license in PE.  I rented with my Florida license last year.  It is a very short drive (5 mins) from the AP to Summerstrand.  Depending on where you are from T1/T2 you can walk up and down the strip to most everything.  I drove simply to see the course, stay off my feet, and to check out downtown.  I'll probably rent again for this trip but I also have extensive (i.e., years) experience driving on the left side. 

If you are within a half mile of the Boardwalk in either direction I think you would be just fine without a car. 
  • Options
    What day are you guys, and I mean the guys for the Sunday race, getting into Port Elizabeth?  I was thinking arrive on Thursday would give me Friday for reg and Saturday bike drop off and Sunday race.
  • Options
    I will be arriving on Wed, 29 Aug.  
  • Options
    Most likely arriving Tuesday evening
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2018 1:01AM
    How many of you guys have used the listings on the Ironman website for your accommodations?  After hunting through all that is left I found a guesthouse with apartments that suited our needs.  
    However when it comes to a deposit to hold booking my warning sirens started to go off as the contact sent just me an invoice with no instructions on how to pay it. Later I got instructions to wire money into the business bank account. And even then he was missing key info to complete the transaction. I dug into the business account and the hotel and they jive.  I even called but getting exact instructions on what was expected was a bit difficult.  I would have expected that part to be smooth and well worked out.  

I understand sometimes these Mom n pop places aren’t super techy, and this may be normal.  Just wanted to see if anyone else had any similar experiences or thoughts? 
  • Options
    South Africa has some strange banking practices.  I'm staying at the same hotel I used last year and paying was not straight forward although this year I figured it out on my own ... but I don't recall the specific problem.
  • Options
    Update on the above.  I just got an email saying that the place I gave my deposit to is no longer accepting reservations and I should find accommodations elsewhere.  No word on my deposit.  This is six weeks later!!   Very frustrating 
  • Options
    @Julia Herrmann - I would check directly with them on the deposit.  I paid for my room IN FULL last year to lock it cold.  You might check directly with some hotels and see if they have a waiting list because as sure as the sun comes up in the east there will be lots of last minute cancellations in the 4 weeks before the event.  Otherwise, shoot a note to Deepak Patel on Facebook.  He is an independent tour operator that sources hotels/travel for Team USA and many overseas IM events.  I know he is working both ITU Worlds in Denmanrk and WC 70.3 in South Africa this summer.

• Options
     Hello Julia, sorry to hear you were having such problems, I also worry about folks qualifying behind you may have difficulty. I contacted the person who is described at the IRONMAN website. Her name is Jody Veress. She was able to get me the name of the bed-and-breakfast nearby. As time goes by, unfortunately the close in sites May be hard to find. But give Jody a try and see how that goes. Best wishes. Eugene
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  Turns out the place I reserved went belly up. The deposit money is being wired back to me as of last week. The second I heard I started looking again.  Found a place on air bnb.  Was a bit more expensive, but it had everything we needed.  Eugene, I did get in touch with Jody and she was super helpful about things.  I am so glad Ironman has her on board!  
  • Options
    Anyone know if there is a shuttle along that beac road to get from hotels to transition and finish line?

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    Don't know, but it's unlikely.  The road will be closed to traffic and they will set up pedestrian barricades for much of it.   During the week, you will see a lot of white shuttle vans with a driver and a 'hustler'.  As they drive down the road, they will be shouting something (can't remember the words) but it sort of means - downtown.  The second guy is typically hanging out the open van door looking for potential customers that want to go downtown.  These shuttles undercut the official bus system and if the 2nd guy spots some one down a side street, the van will stop immediately, and the guy will run out and help the person on.  If you are driving and following a white van, do NOT follow too closely because they will stop on a dime to get that fare.

• Options
    Julia, I’m so glad you got a place to stay, I look forward to meeting you & seeing you Finnish . I am glad you contacted Jody
    Eugene
  • Options
    Anyone else looking for a place to stay?  I qualified last September and booked the race sponsored host hotel right at the start. This week I qualified for Kona and I'm now going to pass on South Africa.  Anyway, I've got a paid for hotel room that I would love to pass on to someone else - for a deep discount, of course.
  • Options
    Tough problem to have, but many congrats!!!
  • Options
    Which hotel? How many rooms? How many nights?
    Congratulations by the way.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo  Hotel Details:

Boardwalk Hotel, Convention Centre & Spa

Cnr Marine Drive and Lodge Road, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth

Private Bag 777, Humewood, 6013

Eastern Cape, South Africa

Room Type

1 X Junior Suite (Domer Room)

Arrival

29-AUG-18

Departure

03-SEP-18

Total Cost ZAR 32,475.00  (About $2500 USD)

• Options
    Tom,I might be interested (which in turn would free a studio room I have reserved at the nearby courtyard if anybody else interested). I’m assuming 1 X Junior Suite (Domer Room) means separate room and living room ?Would you mind checking with the hotel (1) if they would extend your reservation for arrival on the 27th and (2) if they have no problem transferring the reservation to my name?And most important: CONGRATS on the KQ!!!!
  • Options
    @Juan Vergara just replied to your PM.  Thanks!
  • Options
    ANYBODY INTERESTED IN A STUDIO ROOM AT THE COURTYARD NEXT TO TRANSITION? I’m giving It up and  must cancel by the end of next week (or transfer it to a new name).
    COURTYARD PORT ELIZABETH, studio room, daily rate ZAR 2168 (approx US$172breakfast and taxes included).
    if interested please PM me ASAP (I will cancel latest may 10th)
  • Options
    What are the dates? And did you take Tom Glynn ‘s room?

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo yes I took Tom’s room. My reservation at the Courtyard is from the 27th through the 4th. 
  • Options
    LAST CALL FOR SOMEONE TO TAKE MY RESERVATION @ COURTYARD!!!
    need to transfer or cancel by Friday. 
    If interested please PM me. 
  • Options
    folks, any thoughts on course?  it looks on one site like some category HC climbs for bike...  yes?  run looks rolling
  • Options
    Total climb and the height of each climb seems to be quite small unless I’m reading it wrong