Home Announcements 🎙
Options

2018 EN*HALF Run and Bike Focused Plans are now available to the Team!!!

edited February 14, 2018 12:55AM in Announcements 🎙
Ok folks very pleased to be able to publish these plans to you all. 

Following in the spirit of the 2018 EN*Full Plans, these Half plans carry many of the same improvements:

Focused plans for Bike or Run
Bike-focused plans emphasize the bike with a consistent run.
  • There is a fourth, optional bike as aerobic recovery (Fridays).
  • Saturday rides are a bit more challenging here.
  • Sunday rides have a solid "post ABP ride" run.

Run-focused plans include extra time for running, assuming that is your performance limiter.
  • Run consistency is the overall priority.
  • Sundays have a solid "post ABP ride" run.
  • You'll have plenty of time to work on race-pace running and fueling. 

Choosing a Plan

We recommend that you choose a Run-Focused Plan if...
  • You have under-performed on the run.
  • Your run consistency in your "Race Prep" phase has been an issue.
  • Your vDOT is lower than 35 and you need extra run time. 

We recommend that you choose a Bike-Focused Plan if...
  • You will race a particularly challenging course this season.
  • Your run is solid and you are looking to complement it with an improved bike.
  • You are in / recently out of "run jail" and need a bike-heavy plan. 

Special Thanks...

These plans are a TEAM EFFORT and I am super grateful to those of you who took the time to help make these plans possible!

@Alicia Chase  @Edwin Croucher @Michele Cellai @Shaughn Simmons @Chris Oubre @Abbey Bonner @Mia Oubre @Francis Picard @JeremyBehler
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Awesome, thanks so much @Coach Patrick and everyone who helped improve these!
  • Options
    Looking forward to them (she says now because she is not in it now)
  • Options
    Please note we are having some (temporary) visibility issues on the Full
    and Half plans...so you might not beable to see them all. Thanks for your
    patience, it should be resolved shortly (by Friday 2/16).

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Have these been posted?  Also will there be a minimalist plan?
  • Options
    The half plan is not showing up when I try to load it @Andrew Lustigman . It sounds like they are having some technical difficulties and are still working through them.

• Options
    It looks like the links to the "2018  EN*HALF ..." plans are working again.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2018 8:54PM
    Ok, great! Thanks @Scott Imlay !
  • Options
    Where!  It seems like they are the old ones.  
  • Options
    Your result may vary, but for me they are in

2018 EN*HALF Bike Focused, 20 weeks

and 

2018 EN*HALF Run Focused, 20 weeks

The old 2017 ones are still there - you have to scroll down past them.

• Options
    I am sorry to be a pest on this but am not seeing them. Could someone kindly post a screen shot of what the page looks like.  Thanks for your patience.  
  • Options
    Thanks.   Finally figured out.  I was looking at Training Plan Central, and it doesn't appear there.  It appears only on the PC when you seek to change your plan.   Much appreciated. 

• Options
    I've got access! I just looked it over. I'm very excited! Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Do you know if there is a way to download the bike training into zwift like in the outseason?  If so, where can I find them?

• Options
    @Andrew Lustigman The Zwift Workouts have yet to be created. When they are ready, they will be posted to that description in the Training Plan Central Area...I will make an announcement when that happens...sometime by mid-march!
  • Options
    Question for anyone about HIM plan as it relates to race execution pace on the bike:

Week 17 of the HIM Bike Focus Plan's Saturday ride says it is "race pace plus" and the coach notes describe us doing intervals at "slightly above race pace." 

The workout has 1*Z3 interval to start the main set and then has repeat intervals at "midpoint Z2-Z3 effort."  (see image) (this sounds more like "race pace plus"  guidance for a full IM athlete if I had to guess, never having done a 140.6)

But the EN race execution page (and my experience in my first HIM last year) suggests if you plan to have a bike split under 2hr50min, Z3 is the target zone for a HIM bike split (quoting the EN Race execution page below):
    • "Expecting about a 2:30 - 2:50 bike split: Dial in a low to mid Zone 3 heart rate that may creep up to mid/high Zone 3 near the end of the bike."'
    • "Expecting a >3:00 bike split: Dial in a mid to high Zone 2 heart rate that may creep up into low Zone 3 near the end of the bike. "
    So should athletes shooting for a bike split faster than 2hr50min do the intervals as 1*Z4 and repeats at "sweet spot" (mid-point between Z3-Z4)?

And even athletes expecting a bike split longer than 3 hours, if their target HR zone is 2-3, then wouldn't they want their race pace plus intervals at Z3?

Related to this: if we plan to race according to this table from the EN race execution page:

"Goal Watts, as a percentage of FTP as determined by your estimated finish time:
    • 2:20 - 2:30 -- 87-85%
    • 2:30 - 2:40 -- 85-84%
    • 2:40 - 2:50 -- 83-82%
    • 2:50 - 3:00 -- 81-80%
    • 3:00 - 3:15 -- 79-80% 
    • > 3:15 -- 78-76%"
    What % higher should our Race Pace Plus power be for the repeated race pace plus intervals (Maybe 3-5% higher than planned race power)?

Thanks!

Source for quotes:
    http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx#HIMbike

• Options
    Rob - my thought: if you are riding with power, then use the IF (% FTP) table you have in your post. Do the RacePacePlus work at the next highest level. IOW, if you are planning a race day split of 2:30-2:40, then use 0.85-0.86 as your target IF. (And if you are not riding with Power, get with the program!)
  • Options
    @Al Truscott , sweet, thanks a ton! I have power now. I did not during my first HIM in 08/2017.

Ok, thanks! I went 2:33:28 in my first HIM bike split in 08/2017, and was only "back" to cycling for ~6 months after a long hiatus (No OS), so I'm hoping I will be prepared to race in the 0.85-0.87 range. I guess my race pace plus will be 0.87-0.9, then.

Thanks!
  • Options
    This is a bit confusing. The coaches notes say that power athletes will want to earn a specific TSS for the ride, which should be in the 180 to 190 range for a half. If you increase you're IF you will increase TSS, unless you also reduce ride time.

For example, @Larry Peters ride of 2:33 with an IF of 0.85-0.87 would have a TSS between 182 and 190. If he rode this intensity for 3 hours, TSS would be between 215 and 230. This seems inconsistent with the coaches notes.

On the other hand, the name of the workout is "RacePacePlus". So...?
  • Options
    This is a bit confusing. The coaches notes say that power athletes will want to earn a specific TSS for the ride, which should be in the 180 to 190 range for a half. If you increase you're IF you will increase TSS, unless you also reduce ride time.

For example, @Larry Peters ride of 2:33 with an IF of 0.85-0.87 would have a TSS between 182 and 190. If he rode this intensity for 3 hours, TSS would be between 215 and 230. This seems inconsistent with the coaches notes.

On the other hand, the name of the workout is "RacePacePlus". So...?
    My suspicion: this is a "misprint", being a holdover from porting the HIM plan from the IM plan. Specifically, a good TSS for an IM cycle leg is 260-290. A long (5 hr) ride for the IM plan @ RPP for part of the way would be 300 or so. Trying to get a TSS of 300 for a three hour ride would require hammering @ 1.0 IF the whole way - an physical impossibility. So 215-225 makes more sense.
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the feedback guys @Al Truscott and @Scott Imlay ! I did a screen shot & saving in a folder with my training plan for future reference.