Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Caffeine Effects on Performance - New Data?

It's accepted knowledge from multiple studies that caffeine is an ergogenic aid. It appears to have two separate effects. First, it stimulates the brain's ascending reticular activating systems, making us more alert. Second, it affects fat metabolism, increasing our ability to go faster, longer.

Alex Hutchinson in yesterday's column summarizes some new research on the second effect. Apparently, there are two variants of the gene which is responsible for caffeine metabolism. While it is true that in large studies, the overall effect on a population basis is ergogenic, when broken down by which variants of the gene are present, only about 49% of individuals actually have that improved performance. 43% show no difference, and about 8% show a decrease in performance.

Since I've found caffeine makes no difference in my race times, I checked 23andme, which has my genetic make-up. I found I'm in that middle group, so should indeed see no improvement.

Worth the 3-5 minutes it takes to read Hutchinson's post, linked above...
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    That is an interesting study.  I assumed I was benefitting from caffeine as I would often feel a little energy boost when taking it in the middle of a long run or ride.  Maybe just placebo effect or mental stimulation without actual performance benefit.

Al, what do you think of the info provided by 23andme?   Worthwhile?

And I'm nearly finished with Hutchinson's book Endure - I'm really enjoying it!
  • Options
    Al, what do you think of the info provided by 23andme?   Worthwhile?...
    I got into it some years ago, when they started up, at the insistence of my son, so he/we could get a family rate. It has not changed my life...It's like population-based studies of any medical test. You get %-age probabilities. Knowing I'm 70% likely to get problem X is interesting, but not any more actionable than if it is 30%. When it comes to individuals, really, we want either 0 or 100% as the prediction, and we're not going to get that.
  • Options
    @John Wolfe- Thanks for the feedback on the book. I was wondering. 

• Options
    @Al Truscott
    Good to hear your thoughts on the genetics testing.  I'll save my money.  

@Brian Quarton [OLD] - I would encourage you to read Hutchinson's book.   To me, one of the more fascinating concepts is intentionally fatiguing the brain prior to training wko.   The hopeful benefit being an ability to tolerate longer periods of fatigue during competition.   Would this, in turn, result in faster performance?  He covers many other aspects as described by Al Truscott -https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/261029#Comment_261029
  • Options
    @Al Truscott @johnwolfe @brianquarton

Genetic testing is a Pandora's Box.  In my field nutrigenomics is growing. My concern is that people will make definitive changes in their diet based on a DNA test which may or may not be definitive. I don't need  a genetic test to know my variant for caffeine. I'm a slow metabolizer of caffeine. I know my symptoms. I've used caffeine in races and know it helps me. I don't need much. We do know that caffeine stimulates the central nervous system by blocking adenosine, causing the adrenal glands to release adrenaline. 

• The dosage to experiment with is 3-6 gm/kg . 
    • Caffeine can enhance glycogen resynthesis during recovery.
    • Caffeine during exercise is not a diuretic.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this @Al Truscott , and your helpful additions @Sheila Leard and @John Wolfe

Al - I find that info very interesting. I'm pretty sure I'm in the 49% based on experience, but I do have to be careful with caffeine intake. I have had too much caffeine during a couple training days last year and seemed to get some weird heart flutters (not a feeling I could recall ever having before) when I dialed up the effort level (during a couple race rehearsals).

Sheila - I've never heard "Caffeine during exercise is not a diuretic." That is very interesting to me, because I'm always worried about dehydration! I have pretty high fluid needs.