Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Gabe's Oceanside 70.3 Race Plan: "Kicking the Rust Off"

Race Plan: Oceanside 70.3 “Kicking the Rust Off”

Summary

I haven’t done a road triathlon since 2016, so I expect to be a bit rusty.  This is a warmup race for Ironman Santa Rosa.  My main goal is to stay loose and have fun.

Phase

Goal

Swim

I probably won’t have done an open water swim.  Just go easy and accept my swim is what it is (namely, it sucks).

T1

Glide through smoothly in 3-4 minutes.  Don’t let the rust show up.

Bike

Slightly undercook the bike to setup a strong run.

T2

Grab my go-bag and get out in under 3 minutes.

Run

Now it’s time to have fun! I’d love to set a HIM run PR, but will take whatever the day gives me.

Pre-Race

Thursday

·        Leave by 7AM to drive from Utah down to Oceanside.  Stay hydrated on the drive.

·        Get in recovery boots after settling in to get the blood flowing in the legs after driving all day.

Friday

·        Drink sports drink throughout the day to stay hydrated.

·        Decide whether to run FLO 30 or 60 wheel on the front.  This course looks much less technical than a course like St George, so I’ll go with the 60 unless hurricane winds are predicted.

·        Take bike for short shakedown ride to ensure it made the trip okay.

·        10AM – Check-in and drop off bike at transition. 

·        12PM – EN lunch if there is one.

·        Return to house and prepare gear bags (see below).

Bike Bag

·        Aero helmet with visor

·        LG cycling shoes

·        Socks in case I want to wear them

·        Extra tubes

·        Bike pump

·        Bike computer

·        Spare trisuit in case of wardrobe malfunction

Run Bag

·        Socks

·        Hoka Mach Ones

·        Race belt with number loaded with 4 GU Salted Carmels (go-bag)

·        EN visor (go-bag)

·        Aviator sunglasses (go-bag)

·        Sunscreen (in race belt pouch)

Morning Bag

·        Wetsuit

·        Clear goggles plus tinted set as backup

·        Timing chip

·        Swim cap

·        Trislide lube

·        Pre-workout drink

·        Bike nutrition:

o   Aero bottle filled with Tailwind

o   Perform in Nalgene bottle to go in Torhans 30

o   Bike bottle with Tailwind for refills

o   GU Chomps and cutup Clif Bar

Race Morning

·        Wake up at 4:30AM

·        Eat + coffee up

·        Apply two layers of sunscreen

·        Depart by 5:00AM

·        Drink Gatorade on drive

·        Arrive about 5:30AM

·        Setup gear in transition

·        Connect HRM and put on wetsuit

·        Pre-workout supplement 15 minutes before start

Swim

Goal: I probably won’t have had an open water swim before the race.  If I do, it will be the day before.  I’ve consciously decided to invest my time in the bike and run, so my swim is what it is.

·        Warm up swim if allowed.  Otherwise, bring a stretch cord to do a short warmup.

·        When the gun goes off, easy run into the water.

·        First 10 minutes – go easy counting strokes, sight off buoys on the right.  I breathe on the left, so I’ll have to establish sight lines in advance.  Try to swim inside the buoy line since it will be easier for me to sight.

·        Try to find feet or bubbles to draft.  Visibility is likely to be poor.

·        After rounding the last turn buoy and the swim exit is in sight, start kicking harder to get blood back into the legs. 

·        Swim exit – run up the ramp and unzip wetsuit

T1

Goal: This is where the rust is most likely to show up.  Go smooth and double-check everything before jogging out with my bike.

1.     Jog to my bike and gear.  Make sure to identify a landmark during walkthrough

2.     Pull off wetsuit.

3.     Spin crank to wake up PM and turn on bike computer.

4.     Open bike bag.

5.     If cold, take arm warmer #1 out of upside down helmet, it's pre-rolled, and slip over arm. Repeat for Arm warmer #2.

6.     Put on socks and shoes.

7.     Put helmet on head and buckle.

8.     Walk bike (don’t break a cleat) to mount line.

9.     Clean mount at the line, pedaling away softly and safely as I confirm PM is up and running.  Watch out for other riders attempting a “fly mount” for the first time. 

Bike

Goal:  Slightly undercook the bike with an IF around 0.75 to setup a strong run.  Most of my rides on my tribike have been on my Kickr.  The course looks like a rolling course, which I love.  Carry speed through the rollers.

·        First 5 minutes -- Try to stay in low Z3 (160W) and settle into the bike to make the transition from the water.

o   People will pass like I am going backwards.  Let them.  I’ll see most of them later on the bike or the run when they’re walking.

·        Use the Best Bike Split power prompts on my bike computer as a guide for what power to lay out.

·        Around mile 35-38, refill Torhans with Tailwind from spare bottle.  I’ll carry all the nutrition I need to avoid the chaos of hand ups. 

Nutrition Plan

·        Target: Consume about 300 calories per hour and about 500mg of sodium (I can’t handle the 1000mg EN recommendation – it gives me a rotten stomach)

Nutrition

Frequency

Calories / hour

Total calories

3-4 oz of Tailwind from Torhans 30 on aerobars

15 min

Eat Gu Chomps and cutup Clif Bar from bento box

30 min

T2

Goal: Grab my go-bag and get out.

·        Roll downhill to the dismount line, hop off the bike, and jog to spot on bike rack.

·        Take off helmet and cycling shoes, putting them aside.

·        Open run bag.

·        Take out shoes, socks (if needed), and go-bag.

·        Put on socks (if needed) then shoes.

·        Grab go-bag, and head to a port-a-potty.  Memorize location on walkthrough. 

·        Use port-a-potty.

·        Jog out of T2.

·        During first half mile of run, open go-bag:

1.     Put on visor and sunglasses

2.     Put on race belt

3.     Apply sunscreen

Run

Goals:  Now it’s time to have fun! I’d love to set a HIM run PR, but will take whatever the day gives me.

Walk 20 paces at every aid station to take in nutrition.

·        Set Garmin Fenix 5 to autolap every mile and just focus on hitting the targets for that mile.  If I have a bad mile, just let it go.

Pace Targets

·        0-3 miles – Easy Z2 (8:30/mi descending).  Go conservative and keep HR in high Z2 / low Z3.

·        3-10 miles – Z3 (7:45/mi).  HR up to high Z3.  Stay loose and have fun.  Smile and joke with volunteers.

·        10-13.1 miles – Z4 (maximum effort).  Run like I’m being chased by a dinosaur.  Don’t leave anything on the course.

·        Finish – slow down and enjoy it!  

Nutrition Plan

Target: Consumer about 200 calories per hour.

Nutrition

Frequency

Calories / hour

Total calories

3-4 oz of sports drink from aid station, walk 20 paces

Every mile

Shot of Gu gel with caffeine to stay alert

Every 3-4 miles

200-300

Take water as need.  Dump ice water on head if hot.

As need.

Closing Thoughts

Well, that’s it.  Thanks for reading, especially if you made it through all that detail.  I’d love to get advice from the team on my return to road triathlons.  In particular, it would be great to hear from veterans of Oceanside.

Questions

·        Is there a practice swim before the race?  This athlete guide isn’t clear.  I suppose I can just go down to the beach and jump in the ocean.  This will be the first time I’ve done a triathlon without doing any open water swims in advance.  I almost think it’s better to roll with it instead of dealing with the hassle, especially because I’ll have to clean the sand out of my suit and it’s likely to still be wet the next morning.

·        How do you practice for open water swimming in a pool?  There’s no way I could wear my wetsuit as the pool I swim in is usually around 84F, and I’d puke.  I will practice sighting and swimming with my eyes closed.

·        I pre-rode the course using the Best Bike Split power profile in Zwift.  There were a couple climbs that had me going up to FTP.  I doubt I’d do that in a race.  Is it so step that you pretty much have to lay down FTP power to stay vertical?  I’m thinking of St George where I always see a bunch of athletes pushing their bikes up Snow Canyon.

·        The run course looks PR friendly on paper.  I’m also going to love going from altitude to sea level.  Anything to look out for on the run course?

Comments

• Options
    I’m not a veteran, EN or on Oceanside but I’ll share just a little.

• Time and Stress are important factors during race week. So skip the swim unless it’s fool proof easy and convenient. 
    • Also it seems that you haven’t used this wetsuits before?? Just lube up well in the suite, underarms and around that area and back of the neck/collar
    • Could you put arm warmers on bike and deal with them on the fly while settling into the bike? 
    • I usually throw a small bit of chamios cream in my go bag just Incase a worked up a hotspot on the bike, I have yet to use it though. 
    • keep the Transition bags and process simple and they will the smooth and fast. Just walk through it during drop like you said. It surprised me how much time a mistake in T2 last year of not thinking about running around a bike rack. I stupidly had the bright idea trying rack my bike the wrong way and it didn’t fit under the rack bar. 

Good of luck and Race Smart
  • Options
    Gabe

Plan looks good. Nothing much to add. Consider wearing calf compression sleeves/socks during the all day drive to (and from) CA. Regarding practice for OWS in a pool, I use Roka Sim Shorts for several workouts when I know the swim will be wet suit legal. It gets you used to having your hips higher, similar to how a wet suit changes your body position.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson  Here's some more tips. The bike shoe toe warmers is something I hadn't thought about.

I'll text you thru GroupMe Santa Rosa. There's only a few of us. This is a walk thru the motions race for me as well.

https://purplepatchfitness.com/races/courses/ironman-703-oceanside-course-overview?ppf-token=FEKQeQMYqfVwMUTHrWufNYACWe9v7GA_MppX8LJfYJE&utm_source=drupal-infusionsoft&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018IMOceanviewPreview
  • Options
    @Josh Church I think you're right about the practice swim.  It's better to hit the race fresh.  I've used my wetsuit for all my triathlons since 2014.  It's an early Roka model but still a comfortable wetsuit.  I haven't worn it since 2016, so I should probably try it on this week to verify it still fits. :smile:

@Derrek Sanks good tip on the compression socks.  I'll wear them for the drive, probably both ways.  I have some Roka Sim shorts, too.  I sometimes wear them in place of a pull buoy, or when I'm trashed.  I wore them for my race rehearsal swim on Friday, and it seemed to help simulate the hips up feel of a wetsuit.

@Sheila Leard wow, that's a great resource!  I'll give it a careful read through.
  • Options
    Gabe

You have a solid plan. Two simple comments:

1. Before the swim leave your bike computer on and turn off the auto sleep option. That way you don't have to "wake it up". As you know, sometimes they can be picky to find satellites.

2. Have you trained using the caffeine gels for the entire run? Just asking because I know my stomach wouldn't take 4 caffeine shots during a run. I have to mix caffeine with caffeine free.

Good luck 
  • Options
    Gabe,
    I ride the beginning (first 1 hr) and end (last 20ish minutes) of the bike course pretty consistently. The middle part is closed to bikes - it is only open for this race. I have raced the course several years ago and just drove the middle part with a friend today.

Here are my thoughts, if I was racing. I would divide the bike into 3 sections. 
    Beginning - Start to first big climb on base (29 mile mark - it is just before the right turn on San Mateo Rd see map.) 
    Middle - 29 mile mark to ~ 45 mile mark last water station see map Station on Basilone Rd) 
    End - ~45 mile mark to finish 

These are not equal distance sections. But I would break it up this way based on the technical and mental approach.
    Overall: Build your effort over the three sections. 

Beginning:
    Mental Approach: Conservative, double down on conservative.
    Terrain and Wind: It is generally flat, a few small hills - a immediate steep 5-10 sec climb out of the Oceanside Harbor then a few on base, longer more like 2-5 minutes at gradual grades. You will have a cross wind (left to right) off the ocean or head wind while heading north. It might be early enough that you may not even notice it. The pavement on base is ok. It goes in sections. Good. Bad. Good. Bad. There is an out and back on Las Pulgus road. This is sneaky 1-2% grade uphill and ALWAYS into the the wind on the return trip back to the coast, riding west. Stay aero and steady here. No heroics. Once you are out the Pulgas gate, you are on the old 101 highway - it is called that for a reason. The pavement is poor. The view is awesome. It changes to a state park with great pavement until you take the right onto Christanitos. This is rolling terrain, riding east with the wind, typically. Then climb the hill on Chrisitanitios. This looks imposing as you approach. We rode it the other day and it is about a 3-4 minute climb. Again no heroics here.   
    Race Conditions: Absolute zoo. Since it is generally flat, with some long sections of good pavement - everybody comes out of T1 riding like they are giving away free stuff at the top of the hilll at Christanitos. Its absolutely nuts. It will take all your EN discipline to NOT do this. 

Middle: (the part that is only open for bikes during the race)
    Mental Approach: Find the right gear, be efficient. Get the nutrition right  
    Terrain and Wind: This section rolls constantly. There is another steep climb leading into a limited speed zone. They have timing mats in and out of the zone. It is clearly marked. Just follow the instructions and watch you speed. One more long climb after the speed zone and it is net down hill to the last section. The pavement is good. The race really starts to thin out here. The wind comes and goes based on how the canyons funnel it or how the hills protect you. Ignore it. Be efficient. The trick here is to be sharp with your shifting and keep a low VI. Default to increased cadence before increased power.  
    Race Conditions: The race gets real for a lot of people here. They realize that they should not have ridden 23-24 mph north along the beautiful coast line and climbed like a crazy person at Christanitos. The really crazy ones that default to power and spike the watts on the rolling short, steep sections are slowly ruining their run.  

End:
    Mental Approach: This is all aeobars, all the time. Here is where you make some money.
    Terrain and Wind: This is completely flat. Always into the wind, or off the right shoulder. The wind comes off the ocean and it funneled down the canyon you are riding in. The last aid station is just before or after the turn onto Basilone. The sun may be out and this is when it will get warmer if it does. 
    Race Conditions: At 20 mph you are 20-ish minutes out from the finish. This is solid work time, good rhythm etc.. No heroics. Crazies typically have detonated by now on the rolling hills and previous climbing relying solely on their power. This is a great section to get your head in the game for the run. 

Run:
    Great spectator support. Lots of people. It could be warmer, or it will stay overcast. 50%/50% - never know. Sometimes, sunny SoCal. Sometimes, overcast SoCal. The footing on the pier is a bit weird - its worn wood which just feels weird when you first run onto it. Its is cool to do the out and back on the pier. Its not completely flat, you lose and gain may 20-40 feet along the way, but the incline feels more dramatic because the rest is so flat. 

If you need anything - or the rest of the EN crew racing Oceanside - PM. I'll do my best to answer your question or get you what you need.
  • Options
    @Jorge Duque good points.  I use the BestBikeSplit power profile, and this takes about 30 seconds or so to setup.  I usually get the course setup before the swim and then put my bike computer in sleep mode so it's ready to go.  I'll probably take 2-3 gels on the run.  I've accidental ripped some off my race belt before and ended up having to eat whatever crappy flavors they have on the course.  Gu Salted Caramel is my jam, love it.

@matt limbert wow, this is super helpful info!  I'll read through it a few more times this week to dedicate it to memory for race day.  Great info!
  • Options
    @matt limbert I just read your tips again. Really helpful. We were able to drive the course (I have a military ID). So glad I did. Much hillier than I thought. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2018 3:36AM
    @shelia leard
    I'll see you out there tomorrow morning. Way to go!