Home Announcements 🎙

Boomer Seminar #1: Self Care Video Panel [Monday 4/2 pm EST]

In case you missed it the Boomers on Team Endurance Nation are leading the charge to awesomeness and have coalesced to create an incredible learning opportunity. This is the first of several sessions (full discussion here) to be held monthly as a community learning exercise. I hope you can join us, or for sure tune in afterwards for the replay!

Boomer Self Care -- Seminar #1

Monday 4/2 8pm EST on Zoom, link below. You can join via computer or smart phone, video is encouraged. https://zoom.us/j/2572877525  (or enter this number when you join me from your Zoom account: 257-287-7525)

The talk will have four basic sections, listed below. Plan on about 10' of presentation with some time for Q&A and discussion. We can also follow up in the forums as well. 

Part One

•  Sarcopenia - how to treat and prevent
  • Presenter: John Culberson

Part Two:

• Topic: Setting goals in the face of on-going decrease in speed/pace/power
  • Presenter: Al Truscott 

Part Three / General Health / Dieting

• Topic: Optimal BF% in one’s 60’s and beyond
  • Presenter: Sheila Leard 

Part Four

• Topic: Fighting Common Injuries  
  • Presenter: Patrick working on this!

Takeaway Items

• Strength Routines, including passive and dynamic stretching (Patrick will obtain).
Tagged:

Comments

• @Sheila Leard will you also comment on the best way (accuracy) to track bf%
    thanks
  • Will this be available for replay?
  • I was experimenting on Zoom last week. Connecting a bit early to test things out. 
  • Coach P... the East Coast IS on daylight savings time, correct ;-)
  • Yes we are on daylight savings time!

Yes this will be recorded and posted etc.

See you tonight!

~ Coach P
  • PDF of the outline for my portion of this meet-up...
  • edited April 3, 2018 2:54AM
    PDF for  Optimal % BF for 60 and beyond.
  • @Al Truscott can you tell us more about your weight training routine? I'm doing mostly body weight exercises (from "Strength Training for Runners") with an emphasis on core strength, but I'm not sure that is sufficient. 
  • @Al Truscott can you tell us more about your weight training routine? I'm doing mostly body weight exercises (from "Strength Training for Runners") with an emphasis on core strength, but I'm not sure that is sufficient. 
    Two parts: First, 25-30' of what I term stretching and body weight. I aim for every day, but end up 4-6 x/week). I do this right after breakfast:
    • A yoga-like "good morning" type pose (count to 60)
    • Achilles stretch (30" each side, dynamic)
    • Hamstring stretch (20" each side, dynamic) *
    • A complex moving pose on one leg which aims to open up biceps, triceps, pecs, mid thorax and back. About 1' each side. I'd have to show you...
    • Lower back stretch, 20-30" *
    • Tailor seated dynamic stretch (30") *
    • 30 x single knee bend (not fully to 90 deg) on each leg
    • 30 x crunch *
    • 20 x single leg hip thrust *
    • 30 x single leg raise while on my side *
    • 30 x clamshell (each side) *
    • 30 x bent knee hip rotation *
    • When on vacation away from gym, I add 30 x push-ups and 30 x dips
    Second, 3 x week, a weight session preceded by running and sauna. Weights take 20-30', include 7 exercises. These are either 4 reps x 30 sec each rep (up and down 15" each) with 1' rest between each exercise, or 3 sets of 12, 10, 8 with increasing weight, on 45" rest. I do this at a gym 2 miles from my house - free with my health insurance:
    • Seated bench press
    • Lats pull down
    • Hamstring Curls
    • Squat machine
    • Shoulder raise (deltoids) *
    • Triceps
    • Biceps
    I admit that these routines are of my own design. As I began to get aches, pains, injuries over the years, I would try out various new exercises to help with what I felt I needed to work on. Over the years I have dropped and added things, so it is a constantly evolving system. This current incarnation has been working for the past 9 months or so. If I did EVERY exercise recommended for EVERY issue I think I need to work on, I would have no time for lunch or dinner. So I keep the ones that I think are working and doable, and try not be be a completist. E.g., this morning I added a rotational thing for my upper body based on Coach P's note about the need for thorax flexibility. Since I've only done it once so far, I don't know if it will make it into the daily grind...

"What about your core?" I think core stuff is hidden in the ones I've marked with "*"