Home Racing Forum 🏎

Clark's Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Execution Plan

edited April 2, 2018 6:50PM in Racing Forum 🏎

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim Execution Plan

General Info:

• Date: April 10, 2018

• Who: Tim and Heather Cronk, Jeff Wisot and me.

• Why: Because I can and to check this off of the bucket list.  And partly because most people think I’m crazy...

Background and Preparation:

I first learned about Rim to Rim to Rim in May of 2015 and my immediate reaction was, “I need to do that!”  It was the first time in my life that something went, instantly, from “not being a thing, at all” to my must do list.  I tried to make it happen in 2016 with some local friends but could not make it work, so I was thrilled to hear that Tim and Heather were planning a trip in 2018.  

My 2018 season is all run and bike: R2R2R in April, the Laurel Ultra 70.5 mile in June and BRP Camp plus several epic Gran Fondos (June and September).  Thus far, I’ve been training run only because of my work and life schedule, but I’m getting back on the bike this week. My run training has been a mix of flat, road runs and longer trail runs with significant elevation change.  My goto route has been the “gate to 8” section of the Laurel Highlands Trail which offers ~4300 feet of gain and loss over 16 miles. https://www.strava.com/activities/1434609339   I had intended to end my GC prep with a “double 8” which would be 8600 feet of gain and loss over 32 miles but that didn’t work out exactly as planned.  I still intend to get that done, but probably not until mid-May.

I addition to the trail running, I’ve been using my office building and my work day as additional training.  I work in a 60+ story building, so I’ve “run” the stairs on multiple occasions as a workout. Plus, I’m walking the stairs significantly more during my work day.  It’s not unusual for Garmin to record 20 stories climbed and 40+ descended on a typical day.

Finally I’ve been training with the pack, poles and nutrition I plan to use for the actual run.

Week Of:

Travel Friday evening to Phoenix.  Leave Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning for the drive to the park.  I’m staying in the campground next to the national park with my wife and her family.  The goal Sunday is to get the final logistics worked out, watch the weather and take it easy.  Monday the plan is to stay off of my feet and make any final preparations for the run on Tuesday.

Day Of:

• Up at 4:00 to eat and pack (presuming a 4:30 start).  

• On the trail by 4:30 (time still to be confirmed).

• Nice and easy down to the Colorado River.  Stop and take pictures as the sun rises.

• Be sure to refill water where available.

• Eat and drink to taste / need.

• Be mindful of the heat and sun exposure.

• Maintain a sustainable pace up to the north rim.

• Be mindful of how I’m feeling.  We have no North Rim support, so we’re on our own for the entire out and the back.  Be honest with myself and make smart choices.

• Don’t linger at the North Rim, turn around and start back.

• Continue to eat and drink to need.  Don’t get behind on calories or hydration.

Goals:

• Have fun, stop and take lots of pictures, meet people, enjoy the journey.

• Stay safe, make smart choices and come back in one piece.

• Complete the full R2R2R!

Packing Lists:

Bring to AZ:

• Both pair trail shoes

• Stryd pod and charger

• Long and short sleeve smartwool shirts

• Running shorts

• Arm warmers

• Wrightsocks

• Air Relax compression boots

Carry With Me in Canyon:

• Food, drink mix and base salt for ~15 hours

• Water filtration system

• GoPro, memory card, spare battery, small tripod

• Phone, spare battery, lightning and micro usb cables

• Garmin

• Trekking poles

• Duct Tape

• Sunglasses

• Glide

• Baggies

• Sunscreen

• First aid kit (band-aids, neosporin, advil, imodium, candied ginger)

• Space blanket

• Wipes / TP

• Arm coolers (or warmers)

• Spare socks

• Gloves

• Hat and visor

• Wind breaker

• Head lamp and spare batteries

• Map(s)

• Cash (for use at phantom ranch store for food, etc.)

Logistics:

The current plan is to walk from camp to and from the trail head, although I’m told that Uber is available in the park area.

The water situation in the canyon is somewhat of a concern.  Currently there is no potable water north of phantom ranch, so that means carrying ~7 hours of water or using the filter.  I need to think on that. I’ll need to spend some time actually using the filter over the next week to make sure I understand how it works and how long it’s going to take to refill my pack.

###

Thanks for reading and as always, please let me know if I’m missing anything or if there's something I should reconsider or do differently.

Thanks!

Clark

Comments

• @Clark Mitchell

Well this is finally going to happen.  We have discussed it for on and off the last couple years starting at IMAZ 2015 I think.

Wow 70 mile Ultra in June, this should set you up nice for that!
    I have a feeling that stair training is gonna pay off big time in the canyon, would of loved that type of training. Your ready for this and will be even more ready for the Ultra in June afterwards.

Sunrise is 6am so I was thinking starting 2hrs before sunrise, specially if we are leaving from the campground?
    Carrying 2 bladders is just not gonna happen, I've been told we can get water off a few streams, Heather and I tested our Mini-Sawyer filters last weekend, the bag is 16oz , but its hard to fill it completely, so you fill it as much as possible, put the filter on bag, slowly squeeze water into bladder, repeat as necessary, takes a few minutes but not that long or difficult.

Lots of calls to be made the day before based on weather forecast etc.  But I like you list.  BTW at the moment the weather is looking perfect. I know its a long way out but this is AZ not NH or PA... Weather is more predictable and believable here!
  • Oh, man -- I wish I was running with you guys!  You probably already know this but just in case there is an excellent FB group where you can get updates on the current conditions called Grand Canyon R2R2R Runners.
  • @Gabe Peterson Yes, we've been talking about this for a couple of years and I wish it would have worked out for you to join.  Thanks for the tip on the FB group.  Looks like Tim and Heather are members and I'm one now also.  I'm looking forward to a great day on the trail.
  • I love all of your goals, Theses are PERFECT for R2R2R!

Goals:

• Have fun, stop and take lots of pictures, meet people, enjoy the journey.

• Stay safe, make smart choices and come back in one piece.

• Complete the full R2R2R!

Enjoy yourselves and stay safe!

How far is the campground from the trail head?  And what route are you taking (same down and up the South Rim?)?   Can you have your wife or some other family member drive you to the trailhead at ~4:30AM?  and/or pick you up there when you finish?   If you're running downhill at all (i.e. not just hiking), my guess is you'll be across the river before sun-up.  We were just through Phantom ranch before sun-up, we were running, but certainly not running fast.  You also won't need to carry much water at all on your way down in the morning (so save the weight)...   If you leave camp with a full bottle in your belly, you'll be running easy in ~40 degree weather with unlimited water at Phantom Ranch.   Not sure if/when the springs/pumps thaw out (since I did it in the end of October), but I was also told there was no potable water North of Phantom ranch, but we lucked out and ALL of the normal water stops were flowing so I didn't use my filter a single time.  And once I was comfortable of the abundance of water, I emptied my bladder and only used my bottles, but obviously YMMV.

I loved the views everywhere, but especially "The Box" and the top couple of miles of the North Rim section.
  • @Clark Mitchell and @tim cronk I've done a ton of lightweight/ultralightweight backpacking.  One thing to consider is using tablets to purify the water instead of a filter.  It can save you some weight and since your mixing it with some type of drink it won't taste that bad.  The second, since I haven't done R2R2R and I don't know your route, but have backpacked in the GC, is to go to www.hikearizona.com and it should show where you can get water with current water reports.  I hope this helps.  Enjoy your time there.  It is way more awesome to see from the bottom than the top IMO.
  • Have fun @Clark Mitchell  really looking fwd to see how this project unfolds for you ! I cant comment on the RP as I dont know much yet about ultras.

Will be sending you mental distance mojo =)
  • @Clark Mitchell @tim cronk this is so awesome! It is on my list as well. So many great tips here. Good luck and I look forward  to your post adventure report.

• @Gary Lewis  great thoughts and thanks for the feedback... Heather and I looked at the purify tablets etc, after talking to local Ultra guys who have done R3 numerous times, I opted for the mini -sawyer filter system.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP103-Filtration-System/dp/B00MPH1LEU
    You are right about water since the water pipe is often broken (an currently is)... Reports from last weekend is water at Phantom, Manzinita, Phantom, Indian Gardens, (he used a liter between each and hit temps of almost 90)  and of course in the streams.

@Clark Mitchell the forecast is looking warmer, regardless of the forecast I will be wearing a light colored longsleeve shirt (Desoto Skin Cooler) as my first layer and during the heat of the day to minimize sunscreen and arm coolers.
  • @John Withrow The plan is down South Kaibab and back up Bright Angel... SK is closer to our camp by maybe 1/2 mile and wont mind walking if necessary. We will scout the route the day before and decide if a cab is necessary or not.

@Gary Lewis I went with a similar Sawyer as Tim.  From what I read about the tablets, they take 30 - 90 minutes plus to take full effect.  The mini filter is pretty small.

@tim cronk Yes, it's looking like it could get into the 90s for the return trip past phantom ranch.  I'll be wearing short sleeves but I have arm coolers that help with both heat and sun exposure.  Great, more pics of me with ghostly white arms.

@Sheila Leard If you go, be sure to look at John Withrow's posts as well.  Much of my plan comes directly from his experience.  I'm really excited about this adventure, and a little nervous.

Shit's getting real, I fly in 3 days and we go in 6.  

• @Clark Mitchell I have not used a Sawyer, but I have used many different types as my Boy Scouts all have different equipment.  My favorite is the MSR Sweetwater. 

Yes, the tablets do take 30 minutes, they are essentially bleach.  But if you have two containers, they can be marinating while you are using the other containers.  The downsides of filters is that some brands clog up easily and some of them take quite a bit of time to move a liter of water through.

As far as heat goes, its been warm here in AZ lately so plan on it being HOT.  The thing about the GC, is that mentally you think of it as going down in elevation (into a canyon), but the reality is that you are driving it to top of a mountain first.  Last time we camped there in April it snowed 8" overnight at the top, and we were hot at the bottom.  Bring some layers.

Enjoy your trip.
  • Thanks @Gary Lewis, I'm expecting it to be mid 30s at the start and mid 90s by late afternoon.  That should be interesting for sure.

Have fun in UT!