Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Scott Feder Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I took about 18 month off, due to a change in life circumstances..I trained and raced last year on my own and found I missed the camaraderie and support. Although I generally know how to plan my season, its great to see and know others are suffering, sore and recovering the same as I. I started my off season training plan right after Thanksgiving. Presently I am in week 5 of the 20 week advanced Half IM plan. 

Your Races

Ironman 70.3 Ohio (2018-07-29) #703Ohio_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans as needed on Final Surge. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/16/2018.
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 5/27/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 5/14/2018 Load the Intermediate EN*Half to end on 07/29/2018
  • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 08/12/2018

Coach Notes

I'd like you to load up the Bike Focus plan and do four weeks of it before the final 11 weeks to Ohio 70.3™. You can boost your fitness with some solid bike work and still be strong by the time Race Prep comes around. Please let me know if you need help loading / changing the plan! 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    I neglected to tell you I am also racing Eagleman 6/10 as my B or C race prior to Ohio.  So I am presently on week 7 of Advanced 1/2 plan. This will take me to the full 20 weeks by Ohio.  I will obviously race Eagle man finishing week 13.  Depending how I feel, only  slight taper or No taper and use Eagle man as a BIG DAY.  Thoughts.....
    I dont have much experience with sport specific blocks.  In addition, my Run is the worst of the 3 having been a HS all american swimmer, i can so this with less emphasis....
  • Options
    @“scott feder”-  thanks for the update. Given the fact that you have that back on and swimming, I really don’t want you swimming very much at all for eagle man. Maybe one or two swimmers just to get the feel the water. Otherwise I prefer that you emphasize the bike is it still early in the season and there’s room to grow. But emphasize in the bike I mean making sure you nail the Saturday Sunday rides as written. If you have an opportunity to add that second bike in during the week, on the Friday, it will help. Even if it’s easy, those extra bike miles make a difference.

The final piece of the puzzle is run frequency. If you had a day with the swim on it where you’re not swimming anymore, even a 2 mile easy run can add up.

To recap, without the swims in your schedule we can Ideally get an extra hour in on the bike as steasy
    State on Friday and a few shorter frequent runs. Let me know how that sounds!
  • Options
    Thanks Patrick. I get it.  
  • Options
    @Scott Feder

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

~ Team EN

• Options
    @ScottFeder

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

@Scott Feder

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I have you doing 13 weeks of the Run Focused OS, skipping the final test to drive that into the race at Eagleman. Then it's recover, bike focus build to OHIO 70.3 and then really your choice into Superfrog.

I think the focus right now needs to be on run FREQUENCY so we can build up the resiliency you need to be successful on race day. The goal here is 5 to 6 runs a week (start with 5!) even if they are short. It just about stacking up the runs that matters right now.

Please set up a call with me for Jan so we can modify the rest of your year as needed!!! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Eagleman (2019-06-09) #70.3Eagleman_19
    • Ironman 70.3 Ohio (2019-07-28) #70.3Ohio_19 
    • Ironman 70.3 Superfrog (2019-09-15) #70.3Superfrog_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Final Surge website. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/14/19
    • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  04/14/2019
    • On 4/8/2019 Load the EN Half Bike Focused to end on  6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  06/23/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the EN Half Bike Focused to end on  07/28/2019
    • On 7/29/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  08/11/2019
    • On 8/5/2019 Load the EN Half Bike Focused to end on  09/15/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  09/29/2019

Your Notes

1/2 IM

2010 - 5:18

2011 - 4:56

2012 -5:27

2013 - 5:21

2016 - Oly 2:27

2017 - Oly 2:59 terrible race injured

2018 - Ohio 6:14 swim way too slow navigating troubles:47, Bike ok 2:51, Run 2:30 collapse

As my run has consistently been my shortcoming, I agree my level of long range fitness is lacking at the end of Half IM. Swim has always been strong and bike has kept me competitive however the breakdown always occurs half way through the run. I know the saying there is not such thing as a good bike and terrible run. Just means I dont have the necessary fitness. We agreed to change things, I am completing all 3 sections of Run durability to give me the good base to build upon into the Outseason. 

I am racing to be competitive and to regain successes I had earlier in my career. 

Eagleman I would like to be competitive understanding the East coast talent is VERY strong at this race. Ohio is my A race where I would like to be top 10.....

Finishing my run durability 1/7 and ready to start Outseason before I start 1/2 IM programs ...should I set the schedule according OHIO as my A race and work backwards with the 20 Week program or plan to work backwards from Eagleman? then fit in the Outseason as a filler or better to complete the outseason and fit in the 20 week I/2 IM plan to either Eagleman or OHIO?

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Background:

This is for a Half.

Ive been doing a deeper dive into my race nutrition. I presently use Carbo Pro with Nunn tablets. I have at times suffered from cramping on the run. After researching on our Racing central and all of the nutrition areas I have learned I need to increase my sodium to 1000mg /hr. I took the sweat test etc. I do sweat a lot.....

Traditionally I have raced and trained with 1 bottle per hour. I can handle up to 250cal/hr on the bike I c, and I increased my sodium to 3 tablets or close to 1000mg/hr. You are recommending 2 full 20 oz bottles /hour of fluid. I can carry 3 bottles, Races supply Gatorade Endurance.... How do you race with this? I dont want to bring mix with me and mix with water while race... As we say, I want to get off the bike with no depletion of nutrition.... set up for the run.

1 Bottle has only 90 calories and 310mg of sodium.......

Run recommendations?

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Coach Notes

I really appreciate your recap of your year. Sometimes being stronger in the second half of the year is simply due to the timeline, as in more training. I'll be curious to know how you feel about that. Was it a function of more time across your year? Or was it a function of the type of training you did in the summer versus the training you did earlier in the year? That kind of information can be really helpful.

Right now the best option to transition your back is our run durability program. I recommend you use the first three installments of our plan to establish a good baseline. Many of your teammates have used this as a tool to get stronger and more resilient and preparation for a proper season of growth. There are lots of options that you can track here, from run frequency to run Mileage. Along the way you can build i that core work you mentioned.

Your Races

• NONE

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/24/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020</p>

Your Notes

This Year, I raced Eagleman 70.3 6/9, and Superfrog 9/15. I was clearly in better shape for Superfrog, although my time did not reflect (8 of the 13 mile run in the sand). I know I have the potential to be much faster and become more competitive. After superfrog I have done nothing other than streaching and reflecting on how to train in this off season to strengthen my core and alternative crosstraining which is critical at my age for more balance and over all strength before getting back into the Big 3 sport specific sessions. I want to strengthen my running... and know I can raise my strength in my bike where even holding back, I will be significantly faster.

I want to set lazer focused goals this year where every training session and test I can see improvement or not to make micro changes if needed.... Ive never done this in the past and I think this is needed if I want to be competitive.

Nothing on the schedule for 2020 yet as I am being transferred from NYC to Los Angeles and no definitive date yet... may be 1 month or 8 months

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I think the second half was better strictly do to more accumulated work throughout the summer months vs the winter and spring in the Northeast. So enough answered. Note to self. Test. test often and with purpose. I'm setting goals. Making them reasonable but also definitely challenging. Goals will be time based as in directly correlated to racing performance. Tests will be milestones to check in along the way to get me to where I WILL ultimately be.

• Options

That sounds perfect. Many of your teammates have done similar work.I have found the more time they spend on setting targets to focus their training, The more successful they are.

• Options

@Scott Feder - Hey thanks for filling out our survey. ✊ You noted that you were looking for some help on dialing in your race nutrition. I'd be happy to talk more about it. Race nutrition is highly personalized. It is good to hear that you have a standard race nutrition plan, which is a great place to start. Are you still using Carbo Pro with Nunn tablets?

What are you using now?

Why did you settle on that solution?

What was your fluid loss rate from your sweat test?

You seem to have a basic understanding of your sodium, fueling, and hydration needs. You need to look at holistically. So starting with your hydration needs of bottle per hour will get you a baseline of calories and sodium, you can then add additional calories and in gels etc, and additional sodium if necessary. This approach enables you to dial your calories and sodium up or down slightly depending on race conditions. Here is a nutrition calculator from our best practices in the wiki.

You have a couple of key workouts coming up that are great opportunities to refine or experiment with other options. You have a big challenge ride coming up (31 July) which is a great opportunity to experiment with fueling and hydration for long efforts. Each ABP ride is also a good opportunity to experiment. Finally, we have another sweat test scheduled for the first week of August - so you can understand your hydration needs. You can do the sweat test protocol anytime.

We can start the conversation here and we encourage you to create a forum post to leverage the experience of the the ENTIRE team.

• Options

Thanks Patrick, Yes I am still using Carbo Pro. no other reason than its clean, no flavor not too sweet like the others. I can measure exactly the amount of calories to prevent gastric duress (testing). I have never done a sweat test, (amazing) but have been more concerned with calories rather than fluids... So I will do this. And I will report back.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2020 3:13PM

Ok, sounds good! Carbo Pro is a great product, and you can't beat it's simplicity. The only additional ever made it with sometimes adding sodium for absorption and to offset my sweat losses. Keep me posted on the test.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Scott Feder - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 3

Next month's focus: Back to Basics

Extra help request: What to do now..... Oceanside was just postponed.. so I have opportunity to build a huge base before mid March next race. Your recommendations as to supplementary plans to building up to pre-IM plan into the 12 week 1/2 plan.

Hey, sorry to hear about Oceanside but it is what it is. Time to refocus for sure, but don't forget you might need a week or two unstructured just to mark the transition between years (take it now or "have to" take one later).

With your race in March, it depends on the priority level as to how hard you're going to train. From a general standpoint, the progression will be render ability now into the November OutSeason. We would follow that for 8 to 10 weeks before ejecting into your race preparation plan for mid March.

• Durability for Triathletes Plan now
    • 11/02/20 enter the Run Focused OutSeason® plan for 8-ish weeks
    • 01/04/21 enter Race Prep (bike focus) depending on the race priority

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick