Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Tour of the Battenkill

The race went extremely well considering that race day was the first time I was on the bike this year.  Also, the temperature at the start of the race was 44 degrees.
My training plan must be spot on because my legs felt great during the 42 mile race on all those hills.  I rode my race on the uphills and pushed the downhills.  I will admit that on the last hill I was very nervous because the dirt road turned into a mud road due to the rain the day before.  As I was braking, my back tire would fish tail and I was worried about crashing.  This was a concern because my 50k race is 20 days away and I can't afford to take too much time to recover.
After the race, the one statistic that caught my eye was my maximum cycling heart rate increased from 170 bpm to 181 bpm.  The other notable statistic was my HR zone as it relates to how much time was spent in each: 32% in z2 and the rest of the zones was between 13-15%.

Comments

• Options
    @George Penn 
    Congratulations on Battenkill.  I was there as well on Saturday.  It is a great ride.  The mud definitely slowed everybody down and there were a lot of dicey descents.  By the looks of your HR, you were working hard.  

Good luck with your 50K!
  • Options
    Congrats @George Penn and @Patrick Marsh for finishing Battenkill. I did it a few years ago when they had a Grand Fondo ride along with the race. Toughest course I've ever ridden. The dirt sections are no joke, and April in NY is always iffy, weather-wise. Well done.