Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Soliciting the Top 5 mistakes athletes make within 2 weeks of "A" IM race event

IMSR is two weeks out.  We just witnessed a 1st place Tri club finish by EN this weekend at IMTX.  The 2018 racing year has just kicked off.

I would like all you newbies, veterans and otherwise dysfunctional animals to chime in and give me your top 5 mistakes IM athletes make 2 weeks out from their key race.  This thread will help all those gearing up for their respective races this year.

SS
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    #1 - trying to add fitness.   
  • Options
    #2 - eating as if the race was still 12 weeks out.
  • Options

#1 - agree; trying to add fitness

#2 - over-taper (aka, don't do anything) (2017)

#3 - eat everything (2011-2018)

#4 - buy new gear for race day without trying it out first (I still do this:o))

#5 - Pack and move a household (2015)

#6 - Fail to memorize the 4Keys!! (Nevah)

• Options
    #3 - taking "risk" on one of last bike rides (going down a squirrely hill too fast in the rain) or longer runs (tripping on a curb or root and turning an ankle). 
  • Options
    Open Water swim in very wavy water with a rocky shore.
  • Options
    @Mark Hickman hit the common mistakes with his #1-#4, plus @John Withrow input. I'll add, sabotaging your race with negative mental thoughts and visions of a poorly executed race.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2018 11:19PM
    • Confirm travel planes: double check plane reservations, lodging details, rental car.
    • +1 on Withrow's admonition; 3 times, I've taken a tumble on my bike within 3 weeks of an A race. Once, two days before, requiring some stitches on my elbow. Was told not to get it wet, with a wink.
    • The flip side of not trying out anything new...two weeks out, make sure you've got ALL your gear locked down and in hand, every little thing. Goggles, easy plugs, body glide, wet suit, visor, nutrition, bike tools, etc, etc, etc And USE it within those two weeks to make sure it's functional. Fussing with this stuff is a great way to deal with the nerves which crop up when your training diminishes and you're worried about losing fitness and starting to obsess about the weather.
    • Which are two things you should NOT do (obsess about weather and worry about fitness)
    • And the number one FAIL two weeks before an A race: FAILING TO MAKE A DETAILED, *WRITTEN* RACE PLAN

• Options
    1) over eat
    2) getting hit by a car
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 12:34PM
    @Al Truscott Hit the big ones especially not having a written race plan. 
    Changing fueling plan because their friend said so.
  • Options
    Extension of AL's 
    - Have a list(s) for all your gear for packing and loading up.
    - Beyond the written race plan I like to have the days prior key events to the race planned out.  That is EN dinner, bike set up and test, swim bike and run's at venue etc.  This is not only for my purpose but also for my family so we can coordinate what's going on race week better.  
    - Use the extra taper time to get in some additional pre race swims with wetsuit and don't over taper as @Mark Hickman noted.
  • Options
    Obsessing over your CTL number; stressing when it drops 20 points in those last two weeks

Already making plans for your next A race
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 7:18PM
    @matt limbert @Peter Noyes @Scott Schneider @Gabe Peterson @Mark Thoma @Jonathan Brown

The "haus" has spoken and spoken well.

For me, most of these are things I knew, but hearing it repeated and reinforced at this time, 10 days for an IM race has re-focused me.

The most important ones, though all are right on the money, for SS are:
    • Obsessing over your CTL number - trying to add fitness.
    • FAILING TO MAKE A DETAILED, *WRITTEN* RACE PLAN
    • taking "risk" on one of last bike rides 

Thanks all for laying it out there for us!

IMSR peeps, have a great week, taper, plan, positive thoughts and "Don't eat the paste!"

KMF
  • Options
    just bookmarked this one to re read when needed!  Pure gold!
  • Options
    Falling off my bike onto my shoulder 8 days prior to the IM.  I was lucky to be able to complete the swim!