Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Peter Noyes IMSR 2018 Race Plan

Peter’s IM Santa Rosa 2018 Race Plan

Background:

This race will be my first triathlon since 2015. I have lost and regained fitness several times in the past 3 years and didn’t bike at all in 2016. Training resumed in July 2017 starting basically from scratch after coming off of bad patellar tendonitis. The summer training had a big trail running focus targeting a 50 miler in January, but unfortunately I sprained my ankle really bad in November and had to readjust. The focus shifted to the bike and I put in more bike volume than I ever have before and lifted my FTP up to an all time high of 270. A key factor for this success has been Zwift racing. I have pushed myself way harder in races than I ever did doing structured workouts. Also, the Sunday Zwift ride where we go all out on the KOMs and Sprints also has been a huge benefit by pushing up my power curve over short time durations. Finally, the Zwift GroupMe has provided a ton of mojo helping me mentally focus on preparing for this race.

Another big change this year is to do all swimming on a Vasa. I got the Vasa in December after the ankle injury and have been training on it exclusively up until 3 weeks out from the race. Key workouts have been Red/Pink mist, variations on 100s, as well as long steady efforts. I never graduated beyond damper door 1 but I was able to continue to challenge myself strictly by increasing cadence and pulling harder. This may be because I am smaller. Getting into the pool has taken some getting used to. However, I appear to be faster than I was in 2015. A steady pace is currently about 1:35 100/yd, whereas in 2015 a steady pace was more like 1:40. After a few times in the pool I felt comfortable again (once again able to daydream and zone out while swimming).

The run volume for myself has been quite low compared to previous years. Rehab from the ankle injury was a long slow process that started with the Alter G and many weeks doing a walk/run protocol. I think the increase in bike volume has supported the lower run volume. However, I was still able to work up to a 20 miler using split long runs. Also, 3 weeks out I did a 13.1 mile training run in sub < 1:30 which is a huge confidence booster for me. It is my fastest half marathon in 3 years and it wasn’t an all out effort. Probably not the best idea, but something I needed to do to help get my head in the game and prove to myself I have the running chops.

For the bike, I plan to target 0.71 IF to make sure I can still run especially because of the lower volume. 0.71 is still about 3.0 w/kg, so I should be able to have a great bike time without shelling myself. I want to focus on staying aero and all the little things to be as efficient as possible so no time is wasted. I also wasn’t able to push much higher this IF on any of my long training rides.

The key for myself is to keep the confidence high going into the race. I had a great race in 2015, but I don’t think I really raced to my potential. I had some eye trouble from the swim and a lot of anxiety going into that race and I feel like I left some time out on the course, especially on the bike. This time around I want to really work on truly honoring thy training self and see what I can do.

Stats:

Weight: 140lb
FTP: 270
vDot: ??? (Maybe 54-55?)

Goal:

Primary Goal: Put together a solid race that I am proud of
AAA Goal: Break 10 Hours

Swim: 1:05 - 1:10
Bike: ~5:10 (This is what best bike split says I can do)
Run < 3:30
Transitions: 00:10:00
Total: < 10:00:00

Race Plan:

Final Prep:
Charge Bolt
New Powermeter Battery
Aero Jacket Installation
Install Latex Tube in rear tire (front already has one)
New HR Battery
Charge Fenix 3
Charge Stryd
Study recon videos
Double check have the right spare tubes (correct valve lengths to deal with the front tire)
Clean drivetrain really well, apply dry wax lube

Race Week:

Wednesday: 
Drive to Santa Rosa (by myself)
Check In to race ASAP just to get it over with.
Check into hotel and relax
Maybe go for an easy run
See if anyone up for dinner?

Thursday: 
Practice Swim (7:00 am to simulate race time)
Bike Recon (Drive course, ride Chalk Hill Section)
Family arrives Thursday afternoon / evening

Friday: 
Maybe do a shake out run in the morning to calm the nerves.
Breakfast at IHOP (Sliders and Short Stack of Pancakes, OMG so excited)
Salt all food, Low Fiber
Medium Lunch (Hopefully a gyro somewhere)
Dop off run bag
Check-in bike at Lake Sonoma (Or use Tri Bike Transport for 40$??)
Early Dinner, no fiber (Chicken breast and pasta ideally)
Drink GE and Water all day (64oz of Each)
Night Before: Beet Juice, Final shave, Timing Chip, Sunscreen

Saturday: 
Wake up 3:00 AM
Poop
3 Cups Apple Sauce, Whey Protein, Beet Juice, GE, Cold Brew
Reapply sunscreen, make sure I get the tramp stamp area just in case
Put the speed suit on (And HR monitor)
Bring GE, Clif Bar, Gas-X, Gel, Wetsuit, Goggles, Cap, Tri-Slide, That Spit Stuff, Morning Bag, throw away flip flops, warm clothes
Shuttles start at 4:00 AM ?? Double check race guide, be sure to get on early shuttle

Transition Area:
Sip GE until 1 hour before
Have Bar 1 hour before
Pee one last time, Poo again if can
Pump up tires, double check everything
Put on wetsuit on with copious amounts of tri-slide
Drop off morning clothes bag
Gel 15 minutes before

Swim:
Line up with 1:05-1:10 crowd
Will not wear a watch
First 400m hard to make sure I get with a group
2x loops, first time going clockwise! I will actually be able to see buoys on the side I breathe on!
Count strokes
Feel the water
Good high catch and pull
High cadence
Maintain good form
Ideally find someone trustworthy to follow, otherwise make sure I sight well

T1:
Take off top half of wetsuit, goggles, cap all while running toward strippers
Get stripped
Bike shoes, Helmet, Glasses, and go
Start computer

Bike:

Pacing:
JRA Watts 175
Goal Watts 192
Ride at JRA watts for 20-30 min to get HR down to low 140s
Aim to average 150HR for entire effort. Don’t let HR get over 150 until mile 75.
Flatten the course, do not hammer hills.
Think aero, bring shoulders in, drape hands over shifters, listen for audio cues for real time feedback on the air.
Bike computer autolap every 3 miles showing:
- 3s Avg Power
- Distance
- Time
- Lap NP
- Lap HR
- HR
- Lap Speed
- TSS
Hopefully see lots of laps come in well under 9 minutes!

If there is drafting don’t be a part of it
Sit the proper 5-6 lengths behind
Do not panic if can’t hit target watts
Hopefully the rolling hills will break up packs
Don’t play leap frog with the packs burning matches
Try to pee twice

Nutrition
1 Bottle GE every 45 minutes
Gel (Roctane Chocolate Sea Salt) at 30 min, 2:30, 4:30
½ Clif (Cool Mint) at 1:30, 3:30
Tylenol if needed but not until 3:30-4:00 hour mark

T2:
Safely dismount (Ditch helmet, shoes and glasses)
Find bag. Put on socks, shoes, and grab go-bag
Start running, take care of go-bag while moving
Save zip lock
Try to get watch started ASAP (First Priority)
Get the new sunglasses on
Make sure they take picture of me with beet juice dribbling down my chin

Run:

Pacing:
1st goal is to get heart rate back down into the 140s
Steady pacing through mile 18, go by HR and feel. Do not try for a specific pace, whatever the day brings so be it.
I will be wearing Stryd. My goal watts seem to be about 215. I won’t use it as a primary metric for pacing myself, but I will have it there to look at. If it were a hilly course I would make more use of it.
At mile 18 license to race (Final loop of course)
- Start looking at calves
- Get mean

Nutrition:
1 cup GE, 1 cup water at each aid station
Walk 10s max per aid station, just to avoid gatorade in the eyes
Gels at 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22 (Optional)
Switch to coke at mile 18 if needed

Heat Management
Weather looks to be upper 70s on run
If struggling use go bag for ice, otherwise have it just in case
If I wear OrangeMud arm coolers, they have pockets for ice. Game time decision.

Montras
Stay positive and confident
No outcome based thinking, stay in moment
Honor thy training self

Gear

Bike
Bike, Cervelo P3
Bike Computer (Bolt)
Bike Shoes
Helmet (P9)
Sunglasses (Spinlock)
Torhans filled with GE
Bento with 3 gels, clif bar in halves with rice paper, Tylenol, Salt Pills
Repair Kit (Behind seat)

Run
Goodr Sunglasses
Trucker Hat
Race Belt (6 gels, bib)
Shoes (Altra Duo, or Nike Vaporfly4)
Socks (short so easy to put on)
Gallon Plastic Bag to put all this in
Beet Juice
Garmin Fenix 3
Arm Coolers (Orange Mud??? They wouldn’t match kit...)

Special Needs (No plan to actually use any of this)

Bike
2x Tube
2x CO2
Tire

Run
Socks
Backup throw-away shoes
Cold brew
Chocolate covered espresso beans

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Peter Noyes your plan looks good.   You were in prime shape for IMMOO and were it not for the goggle/eye issue you would have certainly contended for a KQ.   You are stronger now on the bike and swim, and your incredibly deep background on the run will serve you well.   I know we don't like to take time off here, but I saw my biggest breakthroughs after serious down time (16th AG IMAZ in 2011, essentially no training in 2012, 7th AG IMOO 2013, no training and a move in 2014, 3rd AG and KQ at IMMOO in 2015).   

I know it's not your stated goal and IMSR is a highly competitive field, but a KQ is not out of the question.

I'm surprised to see your plan is for a higher HR on the bike than the run.  Is that normal for you?  For most people the HR run is 10bpm higher than the bike (myself included).   
  • Options
    @JeremyBehler Thanks for the vote of confidence! The HR will be higher on the run. I just want to get it back into the 140s at the start to make sure I don't do something stupid. It should average in the 150s. Interestingly though, I can make my HR higher on the bike than the run for hard efforts. 
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes excellent and complete plan!  Nothing I can see to add.  After seeing the fitness you showed at the Moab Camp, I'm expecting to see some serious beastmode unleashed at Santa Rosa!
  • Options
    Very smart and complete plan. I've got these thoughts (which are more like "AttaBoys" than suggestions):
    • Seems like you are setting time targets, but then putting them out of your thoughts when the gun goes off. Good! Eg: "Will not wear a watch" during the swim; "Do not try for a specific pace, whatever the day brings so be it" for the run.
    • I really think your lack of racing triathlon will be to your advantage. You've stuck with EN and actively participated in the mojo, so you've had a lot of time to internalize the "right way" to do things. I think your instincts will serve you well on race day, and you'll be very process oriented.
    • One thing which Coach P helped me see last year, after I was doing a lot of biking 'cause I couldn't run as much, was I should think of the bike like a nuclear weapon. Very comforting to know I had all that power, and didn't really need to use it, except in VERY specific circumstance, the very last hill for about 5-10 minutes. You've got a LOT more power now on the bike, but you need to take advantage of it by cruising and not hammering, so you can fully take advantage of your run prowess, which your years of road work and lean build have given you.
    You sound confident; I like it!

• Options
    @Peter Noyes

You know it's serious when the beard gets shaved off!!

One thing I was hoping we can/could discuss is timing around knowing when to take the gloves off.....

IM can place a lot of pressure and expectations on one to perform.  But it is a long day.  All the great advice about making your competition pay the price, believe in your training, don't hold back. etc..... is great, IMO, when applied only after miles 12 - 14  of the run.  Everything before that line is a totally different approach, one that might consist of unicorns and rainbow drops.  Knowing when to turn it off and turn it on is key and something I still need to figure out myself...

You have to decide that for yourself, but just be smart about when you decide to actually put your foot on the gas and be aware of opening up the turbos too early.....

I see your greatest strengths over and above your fitness level to be what sits between your ears.  Lot's of mental strength and smarts in there!  Hope you find a way to apply that effectively come 5/12......doing so is going to be a wake up call for your AG competition.

KMF!
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes embrace that race anxiety,  I want you to smile and chuckle to yourself twice during this Ironman, the 1st time will be about 2-5min into the swim when you realize the anxiety is gone and you are going to work to crush the competition, the 2nd time will be 20 miles into the run, when you realize just how freaking uncomfortable you are !  You have the numbers, the skill, and the ability to push.  Less is more from here till race day.  Swim in Water and ride Aero outside until then. Buy all the toys and analyze all you want but its your engine , decisions , and mental game that will put you where you want to be.  Get excited, get nervous, get anxious, and when shit gets real get confident and believe!
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes brobean !! I know we talked about confident and that plan smells confident up to the other side of the continent. You did all the training and the good part of having a deep run fitness is that you could focus more on le bike and le vasa. I honestly think that you will surprise yourself on the swim.

I expect to see a breakthrough race and wish you all the best !!

yolo
  • Options
    Solid Plan just a couple comments

64oz of GE and Water on Friday - Is this a typical amount prior to races.  Thinking more of the water and flushing out all the electrolytes/salt you are taking in. 
    There are a couple maybe run's on the plan - Don't leave it on the course prior to the race especially if you feel the need to get both in.  Just remember the 13.1.

Have a great race.
  • Options
    Solid plan @Peter Noyes! I am sure you will have a great race.  My only suggestions based on my limited ironman experience are:

1) don't be afraid to switch to coke at any time during the run(i.e. feeling down, doubts creep in, low mood)- immediately switch to coke and then alternate coke and water occasionally GE.  If you are using coke remember to supplement with salt.  
    2) I am a fan of trying to match the HR at the beginning of the run with the avg HR for the last hour of the bike. That seems to temper things a bit.

All the best!
  • Options
    The force is strong with this one..............
  • Options
    "Drink GE and Water all day (64oz of Each)"  ??

I echo what @Gordon Cherwoniak  says about  drinking that much water the day before. Don't go crazy on hydrating on water the day before. You're lean and have the advantage of not getting dehydrated as quickly as a bigger guy.

Santa Rosa has warm afternoons but the course has little reprieves with shade and tons of spectators. 

I worked in the Penalty box last year. There were plenty of drafting penalties and LITTERING! Just a heads up. It'll be fun to be in the cheering / support squad for you and other Team Peeps. 

PS - so glad you put "poop" in your race prep :blush:

Sheila

• Options
    edited May 6, 2018 3:26PM
    @Al Truscott Thanks for the feedback. I really like thinking about the Bike as a Nuclear weapon. I will take that to heart.

@Shaughn Simmons I can always count on you for good mojo!!

@tim cronk I really hope I can smile at mile 20!

@Francis Picard Thanks brobeans. Yolo

@Satish Punna Could point about the coke. I will save it till I need it, but won't be afraid to switch early.

@Gordon Cherwoniak and @Sheila Leard What do you recommend for hydrating day before? Just do the GE? Or half of each? 
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes Again if you typically take in this much water then you are probably okay but note you will be doing very little training and trying to stay off your feet.  Your Friday plan has salt on all food and you are not trying to flush too many electrolytes.  I do both water and GE the day before I'd just do more GE than water. 

I don't have data on this but from memory I typically shoot for 2:1 on the GE to water.  One study I've seen which the CDC links to, see below, outlines 125 ounces of total water for an average male per day.  Note that 80% of this will be from drinking so around 100 ounces.  I'd bump the GE up to around 70-75 oz and go with say 36 oz of water. 

I also make sure I'm on the hydration in the days leading up Wed/Thurs, particularly if flying in to the race but with more water than GE on Wed and 50/50 Thursday, with increased consumption  beyond these levels for workouts and temps. 

• The vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide. The report did not specify exact requirements for water, but set general recommendations for women at approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water -- from all beverages and foods -- each day, and men an average of approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces daily) of total water. The panel did not set an upper level for water.
    • About 80 percent of people's total water intake comes from drinking water and beverages -- including caffeinated beverages -- and the other 20 percent is derived from food.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2004/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-Water-Potassium-Sodium-Chloride-and-Sulfate.aspx
  • Options
    Glad to see you found the forums @Peter Noyes! The race plan looks good. Focus on execution and making all the smart choices as the day presents them. You were strong before and stronger now. Know you can likely make the conservative choice most of the day because your run is such a weapon. Enjoy the day my friend, I’m ready for the show and you are too!
  • Options
    Looks great @Peter Noyes.  I  have found kicking a little bit more at the end of the swim can get the blood back in the legs and also seems to help me in preventing cramps. I learned this from someone else on EN. Its great when you find someone to draft and you don't need to site.

I really like the idea of not targeting times but instead desired effort.  You are in awesome shape and fast in ALL the disciplines.  You also have the ability to suffer and withstand the suffering. I can take wait to follow your.  Go and kill it!
  • Options
    @Peter Noyes no stressing about how much to drink. If pee looks like apple juice ... drink GE. I pee looks like lemonade ... you got it! 

• Options
    Very well thought out plan, Peter. You are so strong with all 3 disciplines and are so prepared for the race. Can't wait to see you crush it this weekend. My only advice is to have a few happy thoughts/images to help you through especially towards the end of the run. Think of your boys and your family and how happy they are to see you at the finish line. Good Luck!
  • Options
    @Nam Lam
    @Peter Noyes

"Think of your boys and your family and how happy they are to see you at the finish line."

"One thing" well defined............