Home Racing Forum 🏎

Victoria 70.3 Race plan Jorge Duque

Ironman Victoria 70.3 Race Plan

Objective: This is not you’re “A” race, its just a long training day. Great chance to fine tune your swim, bike, and run. Take it easy, be focused, and stick to the freaking plan. Your goal is to follow your plan and execute: you want to perform, not survive.

Friday

• Drive from Tacoma to Port Angeles after kids’ school activities are over. It’s a 2-hour drive so you want to leave no later than 7:00 pm
  • Don’t eat in excess

Saturday

• Wake up at 6:30 am. Have a good pancake breakfast and board the ferry at 8:15 am
  • Arrive to Victoria at 9:45 am and drive directly to the Ironman Village
  • Register and attend the athlete briefing at 11:00 am
  • Check the Ironman Store with the family
  • Ride the bike for 10 mins for final check before checking it
  • Have a pasta lunch
  • Drive to the hotel and check-in
  • Prepare transition bag
  • Prepare post-race bag: Underwear, T-shirt, Shorts
  • Diner pasta and go to bed at 9:30 pm

Sunday

• Wake up at 4:00 am
  • Get dressed: Castelli race shirt/shorts, HR strap, Body glide, Buttr cream, Hoodie, Flip flops, Sweatpants, Cap
  • Breakfast: Cup of coffee – PB&J and a banana
  • Leave the hotel by 4:15 am
  • Drink Nunn during drive
  • Arrive at 4:45 am for body marking and T1/T2 set up

Race Bag - SWIM

• Gel
  • Transition mat
  • Transition towel
  • Wetsuit
  • Googles x 2
  • Ear plugs x 2
  • Cap
  • Body glide
  • Clear bandage for neck
  • Chip

Race Bag - BIKE

• Shoes
  • Computer
  • Tool bottle (Tubes x 2, Co2 x 2, Multi-tool, Glove, Co2 valve, Valve extender, Tire Levers)
  • Hydration (front & downtube) with Nunn & Gatorade
  • Nutrition (SIS x 3, Cliff blocks x 1, Cliff bar x 1)
  • Air pump
  • Helmet
  • Glasses
  • Arm warmers

Race Bag - RUN

• Shoes
  • Socks
  • Calf compression socks
  • Race belt & race number
  • Hat / Visor
  • Nutrition (SIS x 3)
  • Glasses

Race Plan

Swim:

• Eat a gel before the swim start
  • Current swim times during training: Best - 40 mins; Average - 43 mins
  • Goal: Keep your form. Keep your pace. Don’t panic when pushed, shoved, passed, etc. Count strokes. Try to breath on every fourth stroke as much as possible – switch to two when needed. Don’t forget to extend your reach and pull hard (make every stroke count)
  • Line up with the 40 min group
  • Easy jog to T1

T1:

• Be fast, don’t lose time here
  • Peel upper part of wetsuit on the way to T1
  • Peel wetsuit
  • Shoes on
  • Arm warmers (if needed)
  • Helmet & glasses
  • Get the hell out of there

Bike:

• Current FTP: 260 Watts
  • Course elevation: 2,750 ft
  • Goal: Enjoy the ride, this is your favorite part anyway & set up a good run
  • The course begins with a short climb, keep it cool here, its ok to be passed, bring your HR down, won’t be able to ride at 65% FTP due to climbs but don’t go over 260 watts. This will last for 5 miles
  • Next 20 miles should be fast miles, mostly descents: stay in the aero position as much as possible and lock yourself at 200 watts
  • Second half of the course is a climb with rolling hills. Be smart, don’t chase riders, stay in your zones, go up to 120% of FTP on climbs and recover on the downhills. Keep HR below 150. Remember you are more efficient climbing OUT of the aero position, go back to the aero position on the downhills
  • Nutrition: Make sure to drink 40oz per hour; you will need to refuel one time during the course. Stop for refueling if necessary but make sure you get all your hydration. Have one SIS gel every hour and a Cliff block every 20 mins. Carry a cliff bar if needed
  • Pee one time: Stop (you are not fast enough to pee on your bike), since you stopped already check your hydration levels and adjust if necessary
  • Never forget you are setting your run here. Don’t let your ego ruin your day. IT’S OK TO BE PASSED, THERE IS NOT A GOOD BIKE WITH A BAD RUN

T2:

• Stay focused – In and out
  • Take shoes off
  • Put socks and calf sleeves on (pre-rolled)
  • Put race belt on
  • Glasses and hat
  • Get out!

Run:

• Goal: Run Forest, Run! For once I want to enjoy the run, and have enough in the tank for a push in the final miles
  • Recent time for a half marathon (without swim or bike) 1:59:04
  • Average mile during training 9:31
  • Start easy, bring HR down and see how you are feeling
  • Run first 5K at TRP 136 bpm
  • Once warmed up and set, allow for the HR to go to 150 (Z3), this should be archivable at 10:00 to 10:15 mins per mile
  • Keep that pace up to mile 10
  • After mile 10 push as hard as possible (it’s only a 5K – You have done plenty of this)
  • Walk every aid station and drink Gatorade – Stay hydrated
  • Take a SIS gel on miles 3.5  7.0  and  10.5

Appreciate your time if you read this and accept all your suggestions. If anyone has experience on this race I will take all your feedback. There is very little info on this race in the forums.

Comments

• Have not raced or been there but I'll bet it is a cool venue.  Plan looks good.  I especially like your plan about your SHOULD bike vs. your COULD bike.  I keep seeing this theme.  Curious about your swim breathing.  I think if I took a breath every 4th stroke I would turn blue.  So you are R-L-R-L-breath?  (I hope you don't mean every 4th R arm entry).  I have experimented with everything from every 3rd to every 2, to paradiddles to all sorts of odd combinations.   Whatever works for you don't change it now, was just interested.  Best of luck to you racing.   
  • @Jeff Horn I would also turn blue. What I mean is L-R-L-R (breath). I have found that this increases my speed but I can't sustain it for the whole time. I have to switch to L-R (breath) after 20 mins and alternate 2 times L-R-L-R (breath) and one time L-R (breath).

Thanks for your comments 
  • Overnight in Port Angeles - should ease the transition a bit...

I've got some Gig Harbor friends who did this race recently. They say the bike is "just like home" - hills of 200-300', grades can be upwards of 8%+. Which leads me to my one concern. You say "go up to 120% of FTP on climbs". Is this something you've had success with in race rehearsal, meaning you're sure you can do the run you want despite burning those matches? I would think anything over your FTP for more than a minute or so (if that) would be risky.  
  • @Al Truscott That's a key point. When riding around home it's not uncommon to hit 400 watts on the climbs but then I have a terrible run. I have limited my wattage on the hills to 300 watts and have good runs afterwards. It sucks to get passed on those climbs knowing that I have some left in the tank but that's where discipline must rule. 

I usually use the downhills to recover - I make sure to bring HR to a good place before the next effort 
  • @ Jorge Duque, I like your plan, Al's comments on climbing are salient points, The hills and cool day we face will be telling, your discipline planned on the flats and down hills will help at the end of the day.  I hope you kill it on the run.  I will be there too!  Look forward to meeting you.  8% hills Huh!  :)
  • @eugene partridge I will be arriving tomorrow on the first ferry from Port Angeles. Driving directly to registration. Hope to see you there 
  • @ Jorge Duque  I will be at 2 pm race rehearsal, today then leave my bike, I will have my E N red vest on. Otherwise my bib # is 231 you can find me At bike stand tomorrow if don’t see you today.  Sorry I missed you yesterday , we came over from Anacortes. Gene