Jeff Horn Chattanooga 70.3 Race Report

Chattanooga 70.3 Race recap

Overall:  5:26:12

Swim:  26:16

T1:  4:31

Bike:  2:36:24

T2:  3:04

Run:  2:15:58

Woke up at 3 and ate breakfast as planned.  Bagel peanut butter and honey, apple sauce, banana.  Sipped on Skratch.  Drove, parked at race venue.  Set bike up quickly no issues.  Went to swim start with local friends.  Sipped on light fluids.  Completed potty trip x 2. 

Swim:  No nerves before swim.  I was calm and in control.  I felt really good during the swim.  Wetsuit was not giving me issues like before.  Sighting was very good.  I got a lot of clear water (no feet, but also no contact).  Felt strong to moderately strong.  This was a 4 minute PR for me here, but I think we may have had more current than years past?  Seemed like many I knew had faster times.  Maybe not 4 minutes faster, but anyway good swim for me.

T1:  Ran all the way to bike (it seems like forever), wetsuit off quick, socks and shoes helmet on and gone.  No dicking around here.  The long run to bike just eats up so much time.

Bike:  I felt excellent on the bike.  No leg cramps or fatigue.  My NP was 204 with IF 0.76 and VI 1.06.  HR was 138.  Once again I undercooked the bike (target was IF 0.84 or 222W).  Every time I looked at my computer (new Wahoo bolt) it was reading 215 or so.  Speed was 21.7 for the ride.   I was in aero almost the entire ride except steeper hills.   I was happy with the effort, even if a bit low.  I was planning a 2:35 so this was about right.  I botched my nutrition on the bike, however.  Plan was for 2 bottles EFS pro and half a GE, but only got in about 1 2/3 EFS and a sip of Gatorade bottle.  I did not pee but never do in a half.

T2:  Flying dismount and then ran to bike.   Shoes, number belt, headband and glasses on.  Spent an extra ½ minute getting sunscreen on but I am glad I did.   

Run:  Had good legs coming out of T2 no cramps or fatigue.  Had to slow way down as I was doing 7:xx coming out of transition.  From there I tried to match HR to bike finish, but heat was making that very hard.  Saw @Emily Brinkley just ahead of me looking strong.  Took it slower up first hill to keep HR in check.  Began to run well to first turn around around mile 3 - running TRP according to plan.  Got about 4 miles in and was hit with 3H’s:  Heat, Hills and my Heel.  Not sure which was worse, but the walkies showed up and stuck with me for the duration.  I think this is where the nutrional backfire on bike started to show up as well.  Low physical and mental energy and sun was sucking out what was left.  Stuck with GE first lap and then switched to coke.  Not sure that I should be too upset, as I’m coming off very little run volume.  I ran twice two weeks ago for 2 miles and 5 miles.  That has been all since Haines City thanks to plantar fasciitis.  Ran into fellow ENer Mike Thead on lap two and we pushed each other a bit and that really helped.  Made it to finish and felt aweful.  Overheated, dehydrated, nauseated.  Went to medical and luckily some fellow docs from the area saw that I looked like hot garbage and gave me IV and zofran.  Felt much better after that.  

Takeaways:

1.     Swim was smooth.  Keep up that steady effort

2.     Transitions are getting better

3.     Better targeting of bike watts is needed.  New computer needs screens / cells optimized for better monitoring.  Had IF set up but calculations were showing an IF of >0.95 (it said I finished with IF of 1.02).  Will fix this in upcoming practice rides.  Not wise to have new stuff on race day, but previous computer crapped out.  

4.     Pay more attention to bike nutrition intake.  Set computer alarms as reminders so I don’t fall behind. 

5.     Running sucks right now but will get better.  Heel injury/PF is improving and volume will pick up.  

Enjoyed meeting fellow ENers both on and off course. As always thanks for reading.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your report, and for confirming the heat effect that felt on the second lap of the run. It did get warm on this Sunday in Chattanooga. Still loads of fun!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your race. Great swim and strong bike! Way to deal with the PF showing up on the run and it's impact on your run fitness. I hope it heals up quickly.
  • Options
    Thanks @Derrek Sanks and @Tony Puckett.  Tony it was a fun race/weekend.  I think our town does a heck of a job with these events, glad we were just renewed for another 5 years.  
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn sounds like a tough day but with lots to celebrate. A swim PR is a swim PR, current be damned. And the way you felt both during and after are good indications it was a good swim. 

I consistently read about folks undercooking the bike. I think there is something about race day that suppresses watts. I would focus on HR more with power as a reference point as opposed to the other way around. 

As for the run, on a tough day like that it’s hard to fake it. Sounds like you did the best you could given the physical limitations that kept training capped. 

All in all, you crossed the line, learned some lessons and had good takeaways. Sounds like a great day to me! Congratulations. 
  • Options
    Thanks @Scott Giljum definately had some good take aways despite the run issues.  Got some practice sessions lined up to hone in the hydration aspect, because screwing that up on a hot day really showed itself.
  • Options
    Solid race @Jeff Horn . I'm behind all you studs so I take nuggets away from your reports lol. Congrats on the swim PR.

I had the same experience on the bike with the IF being lower than planned. At least you know you have room to push harder on the bike without blowing up which will net you a PR on the bike next time.

You muscled out the run on what sounds like a very hot and hilly day. I hope you heel up soon so you can really work towards crushing the run.

Great job overall and spot on takeaways.
  • Options
    Very well executed race in the heat.  Looks easy on paper but damn tough to actually pull off.

Congratulations @Jeff Horn !

SS