Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

EB's Return to triathlon -- IM Chattanooga 70.3 Race Report

It was no coincidence on choosing this race as my first triathlon back in 2.5 years. I crossed this very same finish line for the 2015 Ironman Chattanooga 144.6. My build-up to this race was the craziest training plan, and I would do it all over again. Huge thanks to Coach Patrick McCrann and all of my teammates with EN. You guys continue to make me a stronger athlete... even if there were a few ugly cries along the way. 

General thoughts: I felt like I was all over the place before this race. I had no idea where my power numbers were at, barely knew if my legs would show up in the run, and maybe jumped in the pool a total of 8 times before race day. I had a killer new TT bike from Uptown Cycles that I spent most of the OutSeason on in my laundry room attempting to ride Zwift. Although my bike fitness was good from two cycling camps, I had never ridden the TT bike outside. You know the whole “don’t try anything new on race day” saying? Well, let’s just say I blew that up because I had no other choice. New bike with a new hydration bladder in the downtube. New race kit. New helmet. New power meter (demo of the Garmin Vectors.)

What I did have in my corner was a bit of race day experience which ended up saving my day. I knew the course from before which I felt was an advantage. My only goal for the day was to run 13.1 under 2 hours… and even that was a big “IF” my legs were going to show up. Not only did they show up, I was able to bring in a PR for this distance, my first attempt back after hip surgery. This is my 5th 70.3 race.

OFFICIAL TIME: 5:24:00 -- 16th AG Finish -- 1 min PR from a 70.3 in 2014

SWIM: 28:40 goal 35:00

That's me standing there like an idiot thinking those folks were wetsuit strippers. I had yet to cross the timing mat for my swim chip finish. 

I knew I had an advantage with the swim in the beloved Tennessee River current, but because I really never had the chance to train in the water, I had no clue where I would end up. I am so very happy Ironman has implemented self-seeded times for swims now. I chose to go with the 25-30 min athletes in hopes I wouldn’t get in the way. Jumped in and started counting strokes. We had about 200 yards to swim against the current before turning and letting the river do its thing. After the first 100 yards, I noticed I was swimming in a decent line. Surprisingly enough, I was able to hold this for the majority of the swim. Only once did I get a bit too far to the inside of the last red buoy where I probably lost a bit of time. 1, 2, 3, 4 bridges later, I was swimming to the exit. Upon exiting the water, I noticed a line of volunteers just standing there… which to me meant wetsuit strippers. They obviously weren’t and I wasted a good minute taking my own wetsuit off before realizing I hadn’t even crossed the timing mat for my chip time. Still, for the amount of training I was able to get in, I was stunned by the result. Thank you Tennessee River Authority for making me look speedy!

T1: 3:59:00

The swim exit was pretty far from transition, and I was set up at the very end of the second row. Lots of running after the swim and to the bike start. Easy transition to bike shoes and helmet.

Dude totally photobombing me trying to look Zoolander bike fierce. WTH?

BIKE: 2:52:17 goal 3:30

Again, I knew I had fitness after the two insane weeks of climbing camps, but I had no idea what my numbers were. After fellow teammate and friend Dave Campbell looked at my data, it looked like my FTP was somewhere in the 180s so I guessed it was around 188 and chose to ride with an intensity factor of 0.77%. This was not only the first time on this bike for longer than 6 miles, it was the first time using the new Garmin Vectors as my power source. After leaving transition, I immediately noticed my power wasn’t registering. As I was messing with it, climbing out of the small incline to the HWY, I must have cross-chained not paying attention and dropped my chain to the outside. I took this opportunity to stop my Garmin, reset it to TRAINING mode (instead of race mode it was in) where the power immediately showed up, and then jumped off to fix my chain. This was a 'no expectation' race for me so I didn’t freak out for the few minutes this took to fix. Once I hit start, we were cooking with the good sauce.

I felt fortunate enough to know the portions of the 56-mile course. I knew I had to get a bottle of Gatorade down before the first rest stop. I carried an additional water bottle in a cage up front on the off chance my new Shiv hydration bladder in my bike chose not to play nice. Lucky enough, it did, and I was able to kill both bottles before the first aid station. I split my ride up into 4X14 mile splits, with focused power zones for each one, didn’t surge the hills and tried to kill it on the descents. Power numbers were a bit jumpy and I’m thinking it might have been the discrepancy in my pedal strokes -- right side is still a bit wonky from surgery. When I couldn’t focus on a number, I simply watched my IF, not letting it go above .78.

My plan was to eat a Gu at mile 40. At 37, I thought I was smart and put the Gu in my back pocket of my kit. 2 minutes after doing this it flew out. Thankfully, I packed two. After mile 40 in Chickamauga, I went for my backup Gu. Wouldn’t you know it, I tear the top off and the whole thing goes flying out of my hand. Ok, onto plan B! After the climb and massive decent to the final aid station, I roll up screaming “I need a Gu, I need a Gu!” Volunteers are the absolute BEST EVER! Guy comes running and gets it in my hand before I had to clip out of my bike.

Yes. I pee’d on my bike. Twice. 

It was a great feeling riding back into town after that. Felt super strong bringing it home. Hated all of the railroad tracks. I lost my pod with my extra tubes on the last set of tracks into town. Felt like $100 just flying off into the road.

Rolled into T2 feeling good -- but by then, the heat had shown up. It was 90 something degrees out.

T2: 2:15:00 Jogged alllllllllll the way to the other end of the transition to my place. Racked the bike, shoes, belt, hat, salt, GO.

RUN: 1:56:49 -- goal anything under 2!!

Again, I felt a bit of an advantage with knowing the run course. I knew where I could surge, I knew where the hills were and what was behind them. And all I had to do was do that twice. Considering this was my first brick in oh…. 2.5 years, I was happy to feel the heavy legs again. I for sure thought I was pulling around 9:30 splits by the first little turnaround. Looked at my numbers and saw 8:20s…. Whoa. Immediately told myself to slow that junk down. Heart Rate wasn’t crazy so I was still ok. Focused the first loop on keeping my heart rate in the low 140’s and just took whatever splits that showed up. The run had more pitchy hills than I remember. Loads of short, steep inclines that I just slowed my stride up, only focused on heart rate. Allowed myself to pick it up on the descents and the flats. Ate and salted myself early and often. Switched all aid stations salt/water, Gatorade Endurance. I had two Gu’s on me for mile 6 and one in case of emergency. Ended up needing it at mile 5 and then again at mile 10… Once I hit mile 11, I turned my watch around, pulled my head up, and went to work. The hill up to the pedestrian bridge past the last aid station, followed by the first half of that bridge is soul crushing. It’s just enough of an incline that makes you want to scream, spiking your heart rate and lactic acid in your legs. Once you get to the middle of it, it’s all downhill to the finish line. I knew this and tried to embrace the suck to the finish.

And then I crossed the finish to greet my college bud, Frankie who gave me my medal and officially welcomed me back to the sport.

I had the best day on that course and cannot wait to do it again next year. It was the perfect ending to a very long recovery back. Although I’m still not quite ready to commit to another 140.6, I know it’s not far off.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Great job Sunday! 
  • Options
    @Jeff Horn
    you too, brother!!! Sounds like you had a great day as well -- we need to get you drinking an peeing on that bike! :) See you at the next one. EB
  • Options
    Perfect report on a perfect comeback.  Coming in with so much new stuff and so many questions and potential doubts, you crushed it.  And chicked 1,090 guys in the process (yes, I actually counted for you).  To me, the course was kinda like the heat:  It started off cool and easy (swim), got more difficult in the middle (bike), and then went full flame torch (run).  After the first 4-5 miles of the run, doing lots of silly admin outs-and-backs and ups-and-downs, I thought I was going to hate the run.  But the bridge crossings (2 per loop) are so unique and fun.  And the crowds and aid stations were first-rate.  The hills were tough enough to make it a fair, but challenging run, but the second-half heat moved it off the chart. You were smart starting the swim early, because sometime between 11 and 11:30 am, the few remaining clouds vanished and the feels-like temps shot up to 100F (that's probably something like 8C for you Canadians).  Those who were still running after noon were especially punished.  

I just checked, and Raleigh is still open.  Looking forward to racing with you again in 12 days.
  • Options
    Great job, @Emily Brinkley So many "new" things in one race!! WOW!! Well done indeed! So....the question...how did the "onesie" work for you??
  • Options
    Thanks @Sabra Gonzalez and YES I’m a HUGE fan of the onesie. It’s the most comfortable race kit I’ve ever worn. #worthit

@Mike Roberts  hang on, let me talk to Jay. I did sign up for Augusta. Thanks for counting all throes guys I chicked 😂 
  • Options
    Great work! Congrats on your comeback race!
  • Options
    Well, I'm sure it was never obvious while you were *rerturning* to triathlon, that you would end up with such a successful race. I guess it's just like riding a bicycle, no?

Really, starting with a zippy swim and ending with a successful run, sandwiching a bike leg you'd build on the hills of Mallorca and the Blue Ridge, you called on your race experience and savvy to get that PR.
  • Options
    Nice job!!
  • Options
    Way to come back strong with a PR performance! But not surprised based on how strong you rode in Mallorca! Well executed race even with all the "unknowns". Congratulations!!
  • Options
    Well done EB!  I love those sunnies you wore on the run!
  • Options
    Well .... yet again .... HARD WORK WORKS!!!! + ninja EN execution!!! Congrats EB .....