Home General Training Discussions
Options

Bike while recovering from Groin pull

I have strained my groin severely so I am going to stop running for a couple weeks, or until it heals. Should I also stop riding? Will riding prolong my recovery time?

Comments

• Options
    A couple thoughts:

1. How did you hurt it? Where exactly is the pain?
    2. How are you treating it?
    3. Does it hurt all the time, walking, running, riding, stretching?
    4. All will help me know if cycling will hurt it

thanks, Carrie( PT)
  • Options

Carrie- You're the best.

It is a weird injury. I had some lingering soreness for a few weeks. Then I went for a run on Wednesday and it didn't hurt during the run. The next morning I was woken up by the pain. Worst groin pain I have ever felt. Hurts while doing anything, including just sitting here. Even hurts when I cough. The pain is concentrated in the inner left thigh area.

Don't think I could even ride my bike right now but will be able to in a couple days. Just wondering whether to lay off everything for a while. Hate to do it in the middle of the OS but it is better to get it healed now than have it linger all season.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

John 

• Options
    Please don't train on it in this much pain.

A red flag to me is it hurts with coughing. Pain with coughing is caused by increasing intrathecal pressure and in some cases is a sign of a disc injury. Would need to rule that out. Pain in that area would be an L1-2 thing which is not common.

If you strained your psoas or adductor you would want to get that treated by a PT or chiro who does muscle work. You may be out of alignment now also. If it were me I would try to see if I had my flexibility still. Sit with legs straight out in front and separate them. Also stretch in half kneel, painful knee down and try a lunge stretch. See how you feel. If I could tolerate that but was tight I would use the TP ball and release my psoas.

Try these things and report back.

I hope I am helping. Good luck my dear.

Carrie
  • Options

another red flag to me would be the pain with coughing + groin line pain. Is there a bump/lump where it hurts???

• Options

that was my concern too- hernia. But there is no perceptible lump there. I have read though that sports hernias can happen without the "lump". It is also weird how much it hurts to touch that muscle area- usually muscle pulls hurt to use the muscle but not to touch it.

Have a call into my doc and will see what he says.

Thanks for all the support!

• Options

fingers crossed. keep us posted on what the doc says. image

• Options
    weirdest thing. Two nights ago I slept with my leg elevated and my pain significantly diminshed the next day. Then last night slept with the leg elevated again and I have almost no pain today. This "injury" literally had me walking bent over on Sunday and two days later I can walk fine. I am going to take it slow but probably try a short/easy bike ride tomorrow. I guess I neglected the the E in R.I.C.E. Man, I will never miss that again! Caution to all to use all four letters!

Thanks Leigh and Carrie for your help!

P.S. Doc told me to take Aleve and call him if pain got any worse - very helpful. And this is my Executive Med private doc! Oy...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the update!! I am glad it is feeling better! Funny about your MD :-)