Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Mark Kurtzhalts 2018 CoachEN

edited June 1, 2018 11:01AM in Coach*EN 🔒

2018 Intake form                                                                       

Age Group, Height and Weight.

M65-69, 5'10',158lbs

140.6 Best Time in Last Five Years

13:30:00 IRONMAN Mont Tremblant 2014

70.3 Best Time in Last Five Years

N/A

Oly Best Time in Last Five Years

N/A

26.2 Best Time in Last Five Years

N/A

13.1 Best Time in Last Five Years

N/A

Your Strongest Discipline *

Run

Your Weakest Discipline *

Bike

Your Weakest Discipline: Tell Us More... *

I love biking. I seem to have difficulty increasing power/avg speed. I would like to make my bike leg under or VERY low 6 hrs (BIG goal!)

Your Injury / Difficulty History *

None of any real consequence

Top Three Lessons Learned in your triathlon career. *

Consistency in training

Your Top Three Races / Events this Season (with dates):

Ride Provence France 280 miles (to include Mt Ventoux) in 9-14 September/
IM Santa Rose May 2019

Comments

• Options

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Races

• Ride Provence France 280 miles (to include Mt Ventoux) in 9-14 September
    • IM Santa Rose 5/11/2019

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on June 7, 2018
    • On 6/4/2018 Load the Beginner Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/12/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 8/6/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 9/16/2018
    • On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/30/2018
    • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 2/3/2019
    • On 2/4/2019 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 2/17/2019
    • On 2/18/2019 Load the EN*Full to end on 5/12/2019
    • On 5/13/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/9/2019

Coach Notes

I have included everything in the personalized video for you, watch it here. I'd like to connect with you next week when I am back (https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min) so we can talk about travel, and more. 

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
    • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
    • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
    • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
    • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

• Options
    Mark, great to talk the other day. Here are some of our notes from our call...

• GE as the right fuel for you, please start getting used to it. 
    Riding in France:

• Bike is set up as a Compact front, 11/32 in back, with DI2. Epic...so you'll want to make sure you get in some good high cadence work this month (august) so you are ready for 90-100 rpms. Add that as you see fit in some of your longer rides ( say 3  x 5 minute intervals ). 
    • Long ride on Thursday / Friday - I have made these edits to your plan!
    • 8/11 to 8/15 (on treadmill and spin bike) - no worries here; just stay consistent!
    Chat soon...

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts -

OK, holidays looming, but I wanted to get this out to you so you could see what's coming down the pike.

I updated your plan So that you can start the OutSeason® On Monday. The goal here is to build strength With quality training, then transition to some volume as we get into the full plan. We call this: Bike Fast, Add Far

• On 11/26/2018 Load the -- OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/3/2019
    • On 2/4/2019 Load the -- EN*Full Bike Focused to end on 5/12/2019
    • On 5/13/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 7/7/2019

I have uploaded the OutSeason® plan into your account, you can choose between the Level One or Level Two workouts.

In addition to this training, let me know what you are doing for strength work. I have added a new Final Surge Functional Strength program for members, so we could add that to your OutSeason Plan if you have access to a gym.

Let me know...and please set up a call for next week: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

Have a great turkey day!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts Time to update things here with your plan. We talked today about your training...looking at your charts, you have been avEraging about 3 rides and 3 runs per week.

In terms of training goals, I'd like to mix that up if possible as:

• 3 rides per week
    • 5 runs per week

Adding the extra runs is just 2 miles on the other days. Literally no more than 20 minutes. Treadmill is okay or a short run in the PM after / AM before a SIM day. The goal here is to build up your run durability.

I have Updated your schedule through 1/20 to follow your work schedule; hopefully that does the trick for you from a planning session.

Once we get you through January, we can start doing more longer / back to back weekend workouts on the bike...but first, baby steps.

Also I checked out your power data from this past week's VO2 intervals. Your peak, all out power was 203 watts. I am 99.9% sure the power you saw in France was an anomaly. I can't hold that power for two hours; I think it's time we get those pedals checked under warranty or something!!!

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts - Great call today!

Rule #1 - Back to Back bike sessions matter. Not 3 in a row, but 2 in a row makes sense for you.

Rule #2 - Every other day for "quality runs" aka long plus FTP runs. You can run daily with "easy" days being 2 miles…frequency does matter.

Rule #3 - How to break up the intervals…remember we go ahead with breaking down the intervals first before you dial down the intensity. 

Now, in terms of the rest of the OutSeason® training is to roll with the workouts we have planned. Yes to adding in technique swimming but nothing else. I’d like to see you get your run mileage up to 20 miles per week for the next three weeks….we need a bit more consistency there vs the up/down of what we have put up.

Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts - hey man I just wanted to check in with you after your text message. I went ahead and took a look at the training program and realized that we needed to add the Ironman planning to your account. I went ahead and did that, and before I make any further edits I want you to check it out.

I see the schedule for the first week, and I can easily move the workouts around to accommodate you. For example, on your 10 our instructor day meeting, that should be your day off. If you give me the green light, I can do it… Or you can move the workouts around just let me know when you are done and I will review it. Your call.

Now we have to figure out how we're going to handle the no swimming part. For me, the best approximation some dryland exercises using stretch cords. Here is a quick video of what that looks like. you have cord like this?

There's some warm up stuff here, but you can see the "work" starting around the 4:50 mark.

Thoughts?

• Options
    Hey Coach,Yes, please move the schedule around to make it most effective for the IM plan and to accommodate my work week. I have swimming cords.My start times on my Sims are "hard times" (+1/2 prior to set up). I sometimes finish early (up to an hour). Then gym hours are 10-5 on weekends.
    Mark
    Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device
    ------ Original message------From: Coach Patrick Date: Sat, Feb 23, 2019 17:33To: Mark Kurtzhalts;Cc: Subject:Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Mark Kurtzhalts 2018 CoachEN

Coach Patrick mentioned you in Mark Kurtzhalts 2018 CoachEN @Mark Kurtzhalts - hey man I just wanted to check in with you after your text message. I went ahead and took a look at the training program and realized that we needed to add the Ironman planning to your account. I went ahead and did that, and before I make any further edits I want you to check it out.

I see the schedule for the first week, and I can easily move the workouts around to accommodate you. For example, on your 10 our instructor day meeting, that should be your day off. If you give me the green light, I can do it… Or you can move the workouts around just let me know when you are done and I will review it. Your call.

Now we have to figure out how we're going to handle the no swimming part. For me, the best approximation some dryland exercises using stretch cords. Here is a quick video of what that looks like. you have cord like this?

Play Video

There's some warm up stuff here, but you can see the "work" starting around the 4:50 mark.

Thoughts?
  • Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts Thanks for the bump on your testing...pumped!!! I don't think your Jan test was great due to the powermeter battery, but look at the comparison of your DEC test to this one...epic! 💪

You old test is on top. The black line (power) slope was REVERSE of your most recent test. You did it wrong...now you are doing it right! 👍

Look at the HR build as well...nice slope upwards...I am pumped!

• Old Test HR: 135 Watts: 153
    • New Test HR: 127 Watts: 196

More watts on a lower Heart Rate!!! Boom!

The one thing I'd like you to do Is to focus on your cadence in your FTP interval sets before the next test. I'd like to see your average closer to 90 rpms than to 85, just given your relative strength (not built like the Hulk).

Recover well!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts I know we are texting away, but I want to see how you are doing if you have time to sit down and capture some bigger picture thoughts! 👍

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts Great to chat today...some quick takeaway notes...

• needs to eat a bit more calories on the long rides...plan ahead! 
    • consistent through 3/31, then volume starts.
    • Week 15 (first week of Apri) is critical volume period!

Also please note I have updated your calendar in Final Surge. #noexcuses

~ Coach P

• Options

@Mark Kurtzhalts Race plan posted for you online here: bestbikesplit.com/client/128591

Please check it out.

Can you please update me on:

• Weight In Lbs
    • Bike wheels - deep / race / what?
    • Tires you run (narrow, wide?)
    • Tubes you run (butyl or latex)?
    • Current FTP...I have you between 200 and 205w.

Thanks!

~ Coach P

This discussion has been closed.