Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

John Kolesar

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes - Intermediate Level

I have completed one full Ironman Boulder 140.6 and four (4) half ironman 70.3 events: Syracuse, Eagleman, Timberman, and Atlantic City.  I am looking forward to Ironman Ac 70.3 on September 23, 2018.I workout daily. I am averaging between 70-100 miles of running each month.  I build in swim and bike time but not regularly.  I am looking forward to begin training. 

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City (2018-09-23) #703atlanticcity_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on June 1, 2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/15/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 7/2/2018 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

Coach Notes

Great to have you back in the mix. So pumped you have kept the running up as that really sets you up well for the remainder of the year. It's easy to "make room" for the bike but not easy to do so AND need to build run fitness as well. 

I'd like you to kick off with the Bike Focused plan on Monday, as a means of prioritizing that training. You can drop the run mileage down to 20miles/week for the first two weeks, then back to 25. 

You'll exit a bit early into the 2018 EN*Half plan...for a full 12 week build. The new plans have L1 / L2 / L3 Main Set guidance; L2 = Intermediate, so you can follow that. 

Let's check in at the end of the Bike Focus block / June to see what needs to be done heading into your Race Prep!

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Coach!  I am ready to go!
  • Options
     B) 

lets be sure to check in around the middle of the month! https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

best,

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Hey Coach,

on 7/2/18 which EN Half am I uploading?  I see several listed..such as EN half minimalist, EN half 12 weeks and EN half beginner, intermediate, advanced.

Please advise when you have a moment.

Thanks
  • Options
    @johnkolesar

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options
    Hi,

Thanks for checking in.  I just uploaded my Half Ironman training program and ready to amp up my workouts.

• Swim Fitness: 2 - I haven't swam in several months. I felt much better than expected today. I feel I can reach my expected swim time rather quickly.  I was slower than usual but overall happy with my marks.

• Bike Fitness: 2 - I really want to improve my overall time to complete 56. My best time is 2:53.  Yesterday I biked for 120 minutes and was disappointed with my completed distance during that time. However, I did experience some challenging climbs and Ironman AC will be flat.

• Run Fitness: 3 - I feel great during my runs. I have improved my pacing over that last few years by more than 2 minutes per mile.

• Weight / Body Composition: 1 - I am nowhere near my desired race weight. I have made some recents changes to my diet and caloric intake.  I fully expect to reach my goal by September. However, I want to be there now!

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?  My run.

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?  How to increase speed during my bike. I am averaging 14-16 miles per hour. I hit the 20 mph mark at times but not consistent over long periods of time.

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?  Yes. 
    Thanks again for checking in. Looking forward to any feedback.

Best,

John
  • Options
    @John Kolesar

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options
    @“john Kolesar” -

I know Atlantic City is around the corner, so I wanted to see how you were doing. How is the body composition going?

Remember, the enemy in Atlantic City is the wind not the hills. You’ll need to spend a good amount of time in the aero bars to keep your speed up and conserve energy for the run. That is where you’ve made some great improvements that should materialize.

These are also  The last few weeks to dial-in your nutrition. Don’t miss out! 
  • Options
    Hey Coach P

I am very happy with my progress thus far. I am
    happy with my numbers overall. My feel great and happy with my body composition and overall fitness level. However, i am not thrilled with my weight. My race weight has been 168-172 and currently walking around at 178-180. I have been eating clean so hoping to get there by race day.

Thanks for checking in. Any advice is apprecisted.

Be well,

John Kolesar

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    John -  The good news is that Atlantic City doesn’t have a massive weight penalty, except for obviously the run. We have a section of the website with some learning modules one of them is diet which may help you. 

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Courses/Nutrition.aspx

If you’re doing most of the training and you’re not dropping weight, sounds like we could focus a little bit on the input side for some improvement. I personally have found some success with the following formula:

The meal replacement protein shake in the morning, partly his recovery and part of the house my breakfast.

A big salad for dinner with lean meat on top plenty of veggies, nuts, and avocado.
  • Options
    Coach P

Thanks again for the follow up. I am currently at body comp 2.6. I will make some adjustments to bring it down before race day. I want to at 172 and remain at that weight into the winter months.

Thanks,

John

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    Perfect!!!  Hopefully one or two of those simple solutions will do the trick. I always recommend working on the low hanging fruit first before getting too technical, even though as triathletes we choose the most technically difficult option almost every time by default.  😉 

Just remember, none of those options involve cutting out race nutrition. We still won great nutrition execution within your workouts and on race day. It’s the other stuff that matters!
  • Options
    Hi Coach P...

Just checking in.  My training is going well. I am happy with my numbers thus far. Last year I had a PB for the swim during Ironman AC of 41 minutes. I am hoping to beat that mark this year. In addition, I was close to a PB for the bike too.  Last year, I was 2:57 but my best was 2:53 during Ironman Eagleman.  So, I am trying very hard to maintain my speed over longer distance to achieve this goal.

I am not sure if you are aware but I am on a relay team for my upcoming race. I am completing the swim and bike only. My wife is new to racing and I talked her into completing the run last year and this year.  I do complete all of the workouts as if I am running too (just in case she backs out).  I am seriously considering signing up for the Ironman Eagleman 2019 since it is for the triclub competition.  I only have so many SAU's  to use during the race season LOL.

Thanks for checking in...

John
  • Options
    Thank you for the update! Sounds like you are really on a roll right now. Remember, with a race like Atlantic City the weather could be a real factor. Have your race plan and stick to it. Don’t worry about the splits until you hit the finish line because the best possible overall race will give you the best results.
  • Options

@John Kolesar

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I love where your run fitness is at right now, and KNOW that will really be an advantage heading into your IMLP training. Our top goal is to keep you healthy, so if you need to back down on the run to do that, do it and we adjust. 

I think the hardest part of your training will be slowing things down a bit after NYC (two weeks) so you can recover and prepare for the build to 2020. 

I have listed the plans below, but I don’t see you on the Final Surge APP so I am not sure how best to deliver the workouts to you? I guess we could save them as PDFs and you could try to cut/paste the WKOs out? Let me know!

Your Races

• 11/03/2019 NYC Marathon
    • Ironman Lake Placid (2020-07-26) #IMLP_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019

• On 7/8/2019  Load the  -- 2019 Marathon, 16 Weeks to end on 11/3/2019
    • On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/20/2020 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/23/2020

Your Notes

This past year I completed an ultra marathon 32.86 trail race, Olympic distance tri (Escape the Cape), 15k Trail Race. I am schedule for a local 10 miler race on 9/8/19, South Hampton Half Marathon on 9/28/19 and NYC Marathon on 11/3/19. I am averaging 130 miles of running a month. This is includes at least one long run a week 14 plus miles.

My "A" race is Ironman Lake Placid scheduled for July 26, 2020.I workout 6-7 days a week. 5-6 of the days are running from long distances 14 plus miles to short recovery runs. I work in 1-2 days of core works. I have been using the Nike Training App to schedule my runs and full body workouts.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

John, here are some things to help you get started with Final Surge:

Get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.) Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Integrated Zones. Customization.

You will do some run and bike tests this weekend. Once we have that power or heart rate data we can integrate your zones and customize your workouts.

You will can do a 5k or maybe you already know it - but you want to use your average heart rate for the 5k. You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

• Options

@John Kolesar How are things going? Just wanna check in with you.

• Options

Hey Coach.....things are moving along quite well. I am thrilled with my new plan. I feel like I am improving and feeling healthy at the same time. I ran a PB for the South Hampton Half 1:44 and placed 5 in AG. I was running 2 min faster than normal for first 7 miles and dialed it back so I could finish feeling good. I have 4 weeks until NYC Marathon...very excited. Thanks for checking in.

• Options

WHAAAAAAAAA! that is phenomenal! Sounds like you’ve done a great job with the consistency to get ready for that work. Also it’s nice to show up to a half when you’ve got that endurance training in the bank. Remember the fall is a different beast, so if you’re going to write up a race plan put the link here and I’ll deathly take a look at it. I’m sure the team would like to contribute as well.

happy tapering!!

~ Coach P

• Options

@John Kolesar Hey John let me know if I can help. Nice Innsbruck race last weekend by the way!👊💥

• Options

Good morning,

I just wanted to confirm my workout schedule. I am currently in week 2 of COVID swim camp. However, I was reviewing my season plan for IMLP 2020. I noticed the plan indicated to upload EN Full Bike focused on 4/20. However, COVID swim camp ends on 4/26. Should I finish swim camp week 2 then upload the full plan or begin the full plan on 4/20? Thank you.

• Options

@John Kolesar - Thanks for checking in. Looks like my math was a bit fuzzy there. Here is what I recommend.

• 4/13 To 4/26 - COVID Swim Plan
    • 4/27 - Full Prep Plan (1 week only)
    • 5/3/20 Start the 05/04/2020 bike focus plan to placid.

To help you out, I have loaded the 1 week plan into Final Surge for you, so all you need to do now is load the Bike or Run or Minimalist 12-week full plan starting on 5/4/20 when you are ready!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach P. See you at happy hour!

• Options

@John Kolesar - Just got your checkin info, thanks man!!! 👊

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Body composition, swim and run focused

Extra help request: IMLP has been postponed. However, I am following the plans as if the race is on for July 26th. I may need to adjust if the race takes place in 2020. If not, I will continue to follow my “full” plan because I love it!

Yes please, if you were able to continue with the plan that will be a huge win for us. The training volume is fantastic, and without the race it's kind of a win-win. After all, the race itself requires you to not only taper but put out a massive single day effort. The recovery from that is quite long term. Without it, we have the option of doing something out of the box.

You could recover briefly for a week or so and then pivot into the DIY TRI that the Team is doing at the end of August. It's more of a Half Distance but you could easily plug into it coming off of that big training block.

How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P,

The DIY Tri plan sounds great. IMLP, as you probably know, is scheduled for August 30th. Because of work, I MAY not race on August 30th. I have to make a decision this week. How should I adjust my training plan if I do race IMLP on August 30th. Please advise...thanks.

• Options

@John Kolesar - there were so many if's and's and the Butts in that plan it was hard to follow through with what could actually happen. I am hopeful that the race can't happen, but I am being conservative with my enthusiasm. You can continue to follow the same basic plan, we will just adjust the dates.

Speaking of which, I have gone in and done that for you now. Your Iron Man training plan is now been adjusted to end on August 30. This will re-orient your timeline to help you get ready for the day. If we need to dial things back, will make that decision when we get there.

The short term, my one concern remains cycling volume. In the short term, the next two weeks, we want to make sure you get out for a long ride. If you can't do 5 to 6 hours in a single go, break it into two separate days. But we need to jumpstart that endurance while it's still early! The long rides are coming up!! 👍

~ Coach P

• Options

Hi Coach,

I am all signed up for Ironman Lake Place 2021. I believe the new season roadmap should begin October 1. Can you recommend a run durability plan for me now? I am currently averaging 35-40 miles per week. With random rides included.

Thank you!

• Options

@John Kolesar - OMG that's milez and miles bro! 💪 We don't want you to do too much more than that...I vote that you plan to maintain that through 11/2 when we start the OutSeason. So about 7 weeks more of work. In the mean time it would be great to have you build up the bike to two quality sessions (45 to 60 mins) and one aerobic session (z1 to z2) that lasts about 90 mins. IOW, we raise the training stress via the bike, and make a concession on the run miles (30-35 miles per week).

I would have you go Durabilty for Triathletes #3, and repeat it. So really 2x and you eject after week 3 in round two to start the NOV OS on 11/2.

Let me know what you think and if you need any help!

~ Coach P

• Options

@John Kolesar I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

John Kolesar Is on the TeamEN (Coaching + Community Level) and is following the Other Plan / DIY Training.

His Rankings are as follows:

- Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1

- Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3

- Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Running

Extra help request: I need a plan for upcoming race season. I recently registered for IMLP 2021

• Options

Great! Will make the adjustments.