Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Shelley Kirkpatrick Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Two Half Marathons in April, few 10k’s. One Sprint in May. Trail running and working on my OWS. Fitness and endurance is at beginner stage. Approximately 3/4 runs (20-24 mile) weeks. Mostly Trail. One swim a week 2000m. Need to get in the saddle more. I try once a week with a local Triathlon club to do a Brick with strength afterwards.

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 North Carolina (2018-10-13) #703NorthCarolina_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  Your plans are full loaded in Final Surge!!! Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/03/2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 8/12/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 7/23/2018 Load the EN*Half to end on 10/14/2018
  • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/28/2018
  • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018

Coach Notes

Here you go...we are going to start with the Get Faster plan to build speed into your August race, and transition into the Half plan for North Carolina. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    @Shelley Kirkpatrick

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:

• Bike Fitness:

• Run Fitness:

• Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 2

• Bike Fitness: 2

• Run Fitness: 1

• Weight / Body Composition: 1 

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? overall endurance

• In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Run

• Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? absolutely

• Options
    Hi Coach Patrick,

Just and update on my races this year. I have decided to not do North Carolina Half this year and sign up for Mont Tremblant next outseason. 

After completing my Olympic in August I was wondering if I could do a more run focus plan as I plan on doing a few trail races to end my season. 

Mont Tremblant is an early’ish 70.3 so I would still need some swim/bike time to maintain but let’s stick with this year:)

As you can see with FS I struggle with time do to the shift work, kids and an IM partner but I try to move and fit in my workouts as best as I can. My rotation of two weeks nights is the hardest with minimal time. 

Things are feeling good and I’m looking forward to my Olympic. 

All the best,
    Shelley Kirkpatrick 
    See you in Placid! 

• Options
     Thank you so much for the heads up! I will take a look at your season later today and give you some advice. Looking forward to see you in  Lake Placid as well! 
  • Options
    @Shelley Kirkpatrick - okay, here you go!!!

First order of business is to put in the Short Course plan through your race in August. I can help you do that if you tell me the date of your race...let me know!

Tell me about those trail races...how long are they (usually)? Once I know that I can make a recommendation for you regarding the best plan to make it happen. 

Once you are through trail running time, we have flexibility to kick you off with the 2019 January OutSeason® as you build into Tremblant. 

See you in LP indeed. 

~ Patrick
  • Options
    Thanks Coach Patrick,

My Olympic is August 12th. 

Trail race 25k September 21st then a 15k September 29th (depends how my body feels)

Might try to find another one in Oct/Nov. 

Looking forward to next years accomplishments!

Safe travels,
    Shelley 
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2018 12:48AM
    @Shelley Kirkpatrick - okay, I deleted the EN*Half plan and loaded the EN*ShortCourse plan to end on your Olympic, and then the Half Marathon plan to end on your Trail run (close enough). I suggest you spend some time doing the longer runs on the trails so you are used to it. And remember to continue to practice good run hydration; can still be hot in September!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Shelley Kirkpatrick

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.

• Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.

• We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.

• Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.

• You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.

• You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.

• If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.

• A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!

• Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.

• Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.

• 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Team EN

• Options
    Good Morning Coach P,

A couple of changes to the rest of my season,

Following up after my first Olympic distance triathlon.  It was probably not the best choice of locations to do my first Olympic, Muskoka is pretty infamous for its hills which killed me as a beginner. That being said I did not get the results I was looking for.  I felt I sat back a lot on the bike not knowing what to expect putting it all together.  I got caught up in my head too much and fell apart in the swim in the beautiful Muskoka River.

Looking for a bit of redemption on the distance at a local race here in Ottawa (flat, flat, flat) on the 1st of September.  Same distance.  

I know what to expect now, I did not leave enough out on the course and finished with lots left in the tank. Plus my transitions were incredibly long (rookie mistake).  Lots to work on.

Anyhoo, If you could take a few minutes to change my plan up to race day being September 1st I would appreciate it.

Secondly, I have been invited to compete in the National Police Soccer Tournament in Nashville on Sept 18 which puts me out for my 25K trail race as planned.  I will look for another trail race to do and would still like to be on that run focus plan after the 1st of September.

I have a lot to learn in regards to time mngt, training and racing.  

Cheers,
    Shelley 

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 3:20PM
    @Shelley Kirkpatrick - Ok, I agree on the "revenge race" and that Muskoka not the best first race!   :#

Here's what I say you do: 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  Your plans are full loaded in Final Surge!!! Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 08/21/2018
    • ASAP Load the EN*Half to end on 9/2/2018 (we just drop the Monday workouts and move everything forward by a day). 
    • On 9/3/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/16/2018
    • Connect with me, Coach P, to talk about next steps: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 
    The time management and training / racing lessons are critical. The Team is super helpful with that here (more than Brent!!!!!) so feel free to post questions in the General Discussions forum. 

Remember in the Half these are your workout priorities:
    1. Long Run, Long Ride and Long swim are all mission critical. 
    2. After that, your run frequency is important. 
    3. Then if you can hit the ABP ride, that's good. 
    4. Bonus if you can get in 2 to 3 swims to make the "entry" to the race less stressful, particularly open water!
    ~ Coach P
  • Options
    Thanks Coach P!
  • Options

Good evening Coach P,

I am not sure exacting how to get my new plan onto Final Surge. I managed to finish the last Olympic with no great defeat except a drive to get stronger and faster.

I haven't been successful in finding a replacement trail race to replace the 25k I had planned for the end of September. That being said I do believe I am at a maintenance stage until my drive to Mont Tremblant 70.3 in June.

Still hitting the trails for now and hoping to hold it together for the National Police Soccer Tourny in September. Looking forward to the training for Tremblant and beyond. (not too sure what that is yet, plan as I go).

Thank you again,

Shelley Kirkpatrick

• Options

Oh and as for the last Olympic swim went a lot smoother even after being trampled at the start, recovered and carried on!

• Options

@Shelley Kirkpatrick - sorry this took so long! I have updated your Final Surge account to be the Run Focus Intermediate level plan now; something to guide you for a bit while the weather is still nice.

Bonus that it would allow you to jump in to a Run race in early to mid october, if that works out.

Once you hit Mid-Oct, you should load the Run Durability Program (RDP) - Phase 1 (4 weeks) then phases 2 and 3 as you are able. Here is some reading on RDP for you and why we do it.

*note, I loaded the RDP one plan for you now just to make life easier!

On 1/7/19 you'll start the OutSeason® plan to build towards IMMT 70.3™!

Please let me know if you have questions.

• Options

Hi Coach P,

I have fallen on a bit of an injury and it has been requested I not run for 2 wks for sure. It's to allow a Illopsoas injury heal. As well my sports therapist has requested I get an MRI to rule out a Labrum tear on the Lt hip. All that being said once healed no more soccer!

For now I swim, yogis, ride (zone2/3 only) ;(

All the best,

Shelley

• Options

@Shelley Kirkpatrick - OMG the psoas stuff really stinks. That was my first triathlon injury ever. Not running really helps for sure, please let me know when the MRI is so I can stay tuned for updates. For now you can do some easy spinning had very little resistance and feel free to do some upper body strength.

Remember, you’re so wise is strain because of your pelvic tilt. If your hips or a bowl full of milk if you go to pour the ball forward and tip your hips down at the front, it puts a great deal of strain on the psoas. Runners will do this as their hips tight so they can continue to get a full stride.

Working on basic hip mobility such as lunges and the pigeon stretch can also help. Please keep me posted!

• Options

Good Coach P, hope you are well? With everything straining in the same area my Sports Therapist was wise to send me to my GP for further investigation. i do have a Femoroacetabular Impingement with Lt hip. Everything is feeling okay after a few little runs. I am doing a PRP injection next week and strengthening/stretching my hips/glutes, etc. I also have a gait early in the new year.

All that being said I would like to start my out season Jan 7 for Mont Tremblant 70.3 and will mngt the hip as we go along.

i cannot remember if it’s loaded up in Final Surge?

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• Options

Yes, and the 2019 I’ll season PLAN is available in FinalSurge. Let me know if you need help with that.

Those hip issues are pretty annoying, have you tried using the distraction method with and anchored elastic band? I have found that to be helpful in the past. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, let me know. We can plan on doing the bike focused out season to keep you running to a minimum if that’s OK with you.

Keep me posted on any strength you need to do as well as when the injection is so we can manager training. Happy new year

• Options

Hi Coach P, I think I may accidentally erased my 2019 Plan in Final Surge while trying to upload it. If you could send that over again that would be great.

Physio and rehabilitation of my injury and working on a proper recovery after my workouts are going well. I’m clear on the elastic distraction and I have a home strength program in progress as well.

Shelley

• Options

Shelley, I can ask Brenda to load the outs season plan for you into FinalSurge today! When you need technical help like this, please use the red chat button at the bottom of the website to reach out to us for a quicker response. The forms are, by nature, a little slower.

• Options

Good day Coach P, hope you are well,

I was considering challenging myself on a race March 31. To be used as a training race so I was thinking a run/walk plan to get me to the finish line.

It will be my longest distance thus far at 30k (Around the Bay). I completed two half marathons last season. Strength, stretching and ROM have eased off my hip injury so feeling pretty good.

Let me know what you think? Hoping to focus on my trail distances after IM Tremblant 70.3.

Cheers,

Shelley Kirkpatrick

• Options

All good I found something online that can get me through the next 5 wks to lengthen my distances (run/walk). Should be fun!

Cheers,

Shelley

• Options

@Coach Patrick

@Shelley Kirkpatrick is looking for some guidance. She is doing 30km Around the Bay on March 31 and then targeting 70.3 Mont Tremblant as her A race. When should she download the Bike Focus plan for training? Please give her guidance on how to modify the plan to 12 weeks from the 20 weeks that the plan is.

• Options

@Shelley Kirkpatrick

Your Races for 2019

• 30km Around the Bay on March 31St
    • 70.3 Mont Tremblant on June 23rd

Your Plans

• On 1/7/2019  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 3/31/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Load the  -- EN*Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/23/2019
    • On 6/24/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/7/2019</p>

I have updated your Final Surge Account according to the guidance above. Please check, out the next two weeks as you might want Me add in some other workouts based off your current "typical" week.

~ Coach P

Ps - I suggest you DO NOT do a big strength week for the last week before your race...might be nice to save those legs!! 👍

• Options

Good morning Coach P! Hope you are well. First 70.3 in the books! Not exactly the race I was hoping for but it set a baseline for the next 70.3:) 

Onto my next goal and that’s distance on the trail. 30k has been my longest distance so far on road. I was thinking of skipping the marathon distance and going straight to 50k. It’s a supported 12.5 loop with minimal elevation called Run for the Toad on October 5th. 

Until then have;

July 14 - Olympic 

September 22nd - 26k Road

October 5th - 50k Trail

Thank you, 

Shelley Kirkpatrick

• Options

@Shelley Kirkpatrick - I love it. Happy to help you out with the rest of your season. It would be great for me to see some of the lessons learned from your rate as part of your overall athletic development.

Here is the link to our superquick race report if you can take the time to jot down some notes and perhaps include a picture or two that would be great: https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Video

Your Races

• July 14 - Olympic 
    • September 22nd - 26k Road
    • October 5th - 50k Trail

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 06/29/2019
    • On 6/24/2019 Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/14/2019
    • On 7/15/2019 Load the  -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on 10/6/2019
    • On 10/7/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 10/20/2019
    • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/17/2019

Your Notes

Onto my next goal and that’s distance on the trail. 30k has been my longest distance so far on road. I was thinking of skipping the marathon distance and going straight to 50k. It’s a supported 12.5 loop with minimal elevation called Run for the Toad on October 5th. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Perfect! Thank you! And thanks for the laugh😂 thank goodness I have Brenda and Cheryl around to answer any questions. Looking forward to this next challenge!