Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Al T'Tude 2018 Camp Report - Parts I, II, & III

edited June 18, 2018 10:06PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺
Once again, the AspEN Al T'Tude 3rd Annual Bad Ass Camp exceeded my expectations. Back in 2005, when my sister and I traded in our parents' retirement home in Snowmass for a new model just down the road, I've been returning there during key parts of my training cycle. The first two years, I had my first KQ, and then my first AG IM win, so I began to think there was something special about the roads, the quiet, the scenery, and the air. Especially the air (or lack of it.) I kept doing my spring and fall race rehearsals (for IM CdA and AZ, mostly) there, and kept having success. Eventually, I got a little lonely training all by myself, and tried enticing other early ENer's to join me. Finally, in 2011, eight campers showed up, and the resulting camaraderie and friendships convinced me to keep trying.

But it wasn't until 2016 that the true Al T'Tude camp took off. In 2015, EN returned to the Tour of California after a few years' absence. The next year, when he found out he would not be able to return due to work commitments, Jeremy Behler lamented in the forums, and tried to drum up a similar "point-to-point" adventure that spring. I responded, "Hey, let's go one better - just stay at my house, and we'll go out riding every day in the mountains. All the pros do it (the USA Pro Challenge - aka Tour of Colorado - annually featured Aspen on its route), and Lance Armstrong & Tejay Van Garderen even live there. Oh, and we could do it the week of the Ragnar Trail relay, which happens literally right outside my house - finish up with 24 hours of running for an 8-person team, doing three loops with 14.3 miles and 2000' of elevation gain."

The idea hatched, we attracted an unsuspecting group of campers: Jeremy, Danielle Santucci, Trish Marshall, Scott Dinhofer, Mark Stahlkopf, Rich and Anna Stanbaugh, Teri Cashmore, Steph Stevens, Attila Matyas, John Withrow. Somehow they melded into a team. Jeremy and John kept challenging each other, riding one day from Aspen to Vail and back, a total of 207 miles. The relay team won the Mixed Masters category. T-shirts were designed and distributed, we rode ourselves into the ground, and for some reason, most everyone signed up for the next year.

This year, in addition to returning campers Jeremy, Danielle, Trish, Scott, Teri, John, and Matt Limbert, we added Coach P, Kori Retzbach, Dave Campbell, Rob Peters, and Tim Sullivan (who brought his whole family and stayed a mile away in the village at off-season rates.) Ragnar had morphed into two teams, included an Ultra (4 members, twice the distance). Our rides and after hours activities have been refined. Everyone went home with alarming TSB's, dangerously steep Ramp Rates, exhausted smiles, and growing friendships. Here's a synopsis:

Saturday: I tried to get all the windows cleaned, sunscreen placed in every room, and the garage cleaned up for the invasion. Matt showed up sooner than expected, and together we went out on the "Neighborhood" ride. This consists of as many 600-1000' climbs as time and energy permits, 10-20' up. then 2-3' down the streets of Snowmass Village, where I live. We managed about 2400' over 15 miles, in about 1.5 hours. And that's less than half the hills. By evening, Scott, Trish, Kori, Teri, Dave, and Coach P had arrived. Bikes were prepped, hung on the garage wall, the coffee maker filled, and challenges were thrown down for the coming days' rides.

Sunday: Featured the only poor weather day - cloudy, in the 60s. In deference to the flatlanders' recent arrival at 8330', we went down valley to Capitol and Snowmass Creeks - three Cat 2 climbs of 6.7 mi/1100', 5.3 mi/900', and 5.2 mi/1000' ("Where the Training Happens.") The last climb, or its cousin (5.6 mi/900') must be done every day, just to get back home. A stop at Woody Creek Tavern for some down-home Aspen vibes, then a collapse on the couch for most, but back to work on the phone and computer for grinders Patrick and Scott. John, Danielle, Jeremy, and Rob all showed up in time for the mandatory fancy dinner out @ Jimmy's in Aspen. 53 miles/3660'

Monday: Time Trial Day! Also, the two best roads in the Roaring Fork Valley. Hard to describe if you've never seen them, but the Maroon Bells and the Castle Creek Valley not only have world-class views, but also untraveled, pot-hole free pavement which climbs steadily from 8000' to about 9800' in 7.3 and 12.5 miles respectively. I've been up and down each over thirty times, and have yet to get bored. Perfect FTP or ABP workout spots, too. The idea is to ride up to the Bells as fast as you can; Matt and Kori were 1/2, K and Q OM respectively. In addition to those two, Jeremy, Patrick, and Tim also beat Lance Armstrong's best time up the Official EN Time Trial Strava Segment (it's true: https://www.strava.com/segments/12250342?filter=following&gender=all). Back down, and onto Castle Creek Road, my favorite segment, maybe in the world. I had played sweep up Maroon Bells, so was well-rested, while the others were a bit spent from the TT fight.  I rode first with Scott and Danielle. Then I pulled Rob up the middle segment. Finally, after the flats, WIthrow joined us. The final mile features a brief downhill, then a false flat to the end. I asked the big guy to get in front, and do his specialty - bomb down hill. I checked my bike computer - I was desparately close to breaking my all-time PR of 1:00.32. Screaming by John in the final 200 meters, I managed to sneak in just under an hour, nailing it. Maybe my last PR ever? Matt & Patrick pushed/pulled each other up the hill, beating Lance's best Strava time by over a minute. Then down into Aspen for cookies at the Paradise Bakery at the insistence of Danielle. Followed by Pizza at Taster's, in Snowmass. There, we began the negotiations for the next day's ride: The Big Day, over Independence Pass and Beyond. Official Camp Photo:

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for writing this up @Al Truscott!! Such great memories! I can’t wait till next year!
  • Options
    I appreciated the history behind the camp! And don’t forget the amazing breakfast burritos at paradise bakery!
  • Options
    I truly feel blessed in my ability to participate in these camps. It's now my annual and all my friends and clients now know that if it's the first week of June, Scott's in Snowmass riding his bike!
    I've also done the every Al camp including the 2011 edition, Al left out the "other" al camp which was a road ragnar that started in breckenridge and ended in snowmass back in 2012. 

I highly recommend joining the party next year!

ask Camper P, as Patrick was wavering on doing this camp 6 months ago, when I made him aware that he'd not be the guy hearing everyone whine and trying to solve problems, but that it would be quite the opposite..  I think we delivered a truly great experience for Camper P

• Options
    Great Camp and Camp Report Al.  Thanks for including me this year.  It truly was a blast.  Hope to return.  I'm still running and don't plan to quit.
  • Options
    I still remember my first Al Camp, way back in 2011!!!
  • Options
    I still remember my first Al Camp, way back in 2011!!!
    Back in the days when there was only ONE kit!  :oo:)

• Options
    edited June 16, 2018 3:43AM
    CAMP REPORT - PART DEUX (II)

Tuesday - 
    The Big Day. Independence Pass rises directly out of Aspen, heading east from 8000' to 12,100' over 20 miles. We debated for days how to tackle this route. John and Jeremy tried vainly to entice Tim, Matt,  and Patrick to join them on a hell-bent for adventure ride circling the Continental Divide over the Pass, through Leadville, past Vail, into the wind for 55 miles down to Glenwood Canyon, then back up 40 miles to home - 206 miles, nearly 12,000' of climbing. They set off at 5:45 AM (Withrow) and 6:30 (Behler), and were not seen again until close to sunset, around 8 PM.

The rest of the crew were content with an out-and-back option. Last year, we did the same ride, encountering 40F temps and hail at our second pass over the top. this year, weather was much more benign, as Danielle can surely testify:

Barely any clouds, and temps near 60 on top, where the lack of the usual winter snow pack reduced the usual cold winds to mild zephyrs on the way down. Rob Peters was ecstatic doing his first ever century in such an epic fashion - over 9,000' of climbing! I predict next year, not a few of the bunch will tack on the additional distance to make a 136 mile round trip, stopping in two-mile-high Leadville for lunch. An exhausted crew repaired to Venga Venga on the Snowmass Mall for huge burritos, plates of nachos, plenty of beer, and smiles all around.

Wednesday - By this time, we were ready for an "active recovery" day. This meant hitting the lower elevations again, bombing down Lower River Road behind the Old Guy, then cruising down to 6100', a total of 24 miles in a little over an hour ("downhill with a tailwind"). We split into two groups at the Catherine Bridge. Three of us (Trish, Dave and I) wisely chose to do a 20 mile loop through Missouri Heights, with the final 7 miles down a freshly paved road, traffic-free of course, descending 1000' at a steady 3-4% drop. The others took on the 34 mile Bad-Ass option, a rollicking set of ups and downs through the same plateau, expansive views on all sides. We met up in Carbondale, where some trash talk at the front resulted in a bracing dip in the (38F) Roaring Fork River for four of the most intrepid. From there, the last 20 miles were taken in small groups at a leisurely pace, allowing conversation, re-hydration, and one more go at conquering the Final Climb home.

https://youtu.be/QSh2AXOvc5U

In the evening, we found ourselves at Heather's, in Basalt, a perennial favorite. This place is so good, she keeps adding more tables every year. We occupied what used to be the alley, now a large family table seating 14. But still not large enough for Tim and his kids, who made a little money on the side giving shoulder rubs to many aching backs. The place is actually called "Heather's Savory Pies", as in Pot Pies. The Cuban Ropa Vieja is my current favorite, but the classic chicken also had some love.

https://youtu.be/G2-fUR2swjk

Thursday - Well, why not do another century? Everyone seemed to have gotten stronger, not weaker, from the preceding four days of abuse, so off we set downvalley once more, this time tackling the Fryingpan. By now, we had all bonded to the point where riding as a group was deemed a number one priority. Especially since the downhill portion of this ride inevitably faces the afternoon wind, and a determined paceline lead by the Big Guys seemed a wise idea. So Trish, Dave and I drove down to Basalt, skipping the first and last 17 miles. Fryingpan Road follows a world-class, Gold Medal trout stream up from its confluence with the Roaring Fork, into the sub-alpine slopes just below the Divide. Except for one mile at 6-7%, and 3 more at 5%, the entire 33 miles (one-way) rolls up a gradient of 1-3%. We time things perfectly so everyone arrived within five minutes of each other at the "top", which is where the road turns to gravel, 9100'. This early in the summer season, on a weekday, the road was almost entirely car-free, allowing us to cruise the first downhill section at 30 mph behind the able pulls of John Withrow and Coach P - thanks, guys!. Then a four mile uphill to get around the reservoir, and another 17 mile downhill trot, the final 12 miles again behind our two "strong men". Kudos to Matt for riding sweep on the way down. Trish, Dave and I got back in the car, while the rest rode back home, for another 100 mile day, this time with 6800' of climbing.

Back home to the sun and developing "heat" (80F in Snowmass Village is about 10 deg above normal, and while it feels good hanging out after a ride, is not that much fun when it means riding up from Basalt in nearly 90F temps.) Dinner at Slow Groovin' BBQ above the Mall. We split into two tables, one of 9 for the Ragnar "regular" team, and one of 5 for the Ultras. Twenty minutes between ordering and getting served was just enough time to go over things like running order, how to hand off between runners, what to wear when it's either too hot or too cold, and what to eat between relay legs. To quote A.A. Milne, "Anxiety be-dew'd our brow" as we contemplated the wisdom, or lack thereof in our intended efforts coming up the next day: First, a 35 mile ride on the steepest slopes between Snowmass and Aspen, followed by what I've learned is a Slumber Party for Endorphin Junkies - a Ragnar Relay. The four pound plates of various meats (Ribs, Brisket, Sausage, etc), piles of fries, bacon-jalapeño mac 'n cheese, and copious quantities of local brew help dampen our fears.

[Campers: I've tried not to include any embarrassing stories about you. But if you want to confess online about, oh, say, corking your cookies on the final climb home, or nearly derailing the train coming downhill on the Fryingpan, go right ahead...]

(To Be Concluded)
  • Options
    @Al Truscott such good stories....wondering if others will let “What happened at Al Camp stay at Al Camp?”  :lol:
  • Options
    Regarding @Al Truscott 's invitation to share more information and @Coach Patrick 's question....I'm very comfortable confessing to any blunders or embarrassing moments (despite wishing some of them didn't happen). 

Does anyone else have a preference or suggestion? I'm wondering if Patrick's “What happened at Al Camp stay at Al Camp?” is an encouraged policy, or just curiosity...?
  • Options
    CAMP REPORT: THE END OF THE STORY

Friday - Ragnar Day
    - This year, we once again fielded two Ragnar Trail relay teams. Jeremy, Danielle, Teri, and Patrick made up the Ultra; each would run six legs, 2 each of 6.7 mi/1000', 3.6/650', and 4/350'. All the legs are loops, and all start and end in the Ragnar Village, which sits on the soccer field and parking lot next to the Rec Center 1.5 miles downhill from my house. almost all the running is on MTB or horse trails, with very few roots or rocks, but very many switchbacks and a lot of dust. They would start at 3:30 PM.

The other team - Matt, Rob, Tim, Scott, Al/Dave/Tim, Kori, Trish, and Carrie Larsen (former ENer who always volunteers to come over and run with us) - did just one time through each of the three loops. In order to finish at a reasonable time and avoid running in the heat of the day after pulling an all-nighter, we sand-bagged our qualifying times, and snagged a primo start slot at 10 AM Friday morning. While our first runners hit the course, the ultra team and a few later regular runners hit the tarmac one last time, on a 35 mile cruise around the upper valley, rumbling up McClain Flats Road. Which is totally mis-named. The first mile or so rises in stair steps of 15-18%, easing off to 9% near its top, then cooling down to a 3 mile section of 3% or so. (But the views are great).

The day before, Trish and I did our usual "grab the best camping spot before anyone else" routine. Our previous site had been overrun by the Glamping Option. For a mere $1800, Ragnar will set up a tent for you, with a central room and three wings, cots, sleeping bags, heaters, 3 meals a day, and probably showers and massage for all I know. We picked a spot providing afternoon shade, right on the run-out for two of the three loops, prime locale to display EN colors.

It sounds torturous, but, really, the hardest part of this brick is getting each person down on time to run their legs, and then back up again to refuel, rest, and maybe sleep. It works just fine ... until it doesn't. (Imagine 2 or 3 "what happens @ Al Camp stays @ Al Camp" stories here.) The Ultras, on the other hand, spent their entire 21 hours either running, or in their tent, trying to sleep, stay warm, and contemplate why Jeremy would have twisted their arms to do this crazy thing. They vented their frustrations by filling a pastry box with a large cache of muffin stumps.

Another thing about the Ragnar is, the running never stops. Meaning, we go all night. This is fun up until about 11 PM, then either the cold willies take the upper hand, or you get awestruck by the thin chilly air which reveals, on this moonless night, the Milky Way in all its glory, set in a background of more stars than seems possible.

By 5 AM, its getting light again. While the regular team rallied with its big guns - Rob, Tim, and Matt - running the final legs, the Ultras suffered their inevitable setback. Danielle zigged when she should have zagged, and ends up in the med tent with a laceration on her hand. Unable to complete her last two legs, Tim and Rob nobly stepped up and filled in. By the time Teri ran the last time around the Red Loop, they were firmly in the lead in their category (Mixed Masters), second overall in the Ultra group. We regulars were pleased just to have finished, 15/35 in our category (thanks for that, Rob), and 49/225 overall.

Collectively, that week we cycled over 5,000 miles, climbed over 350,000 vertical feet...and then ran 228.8 miles in an overnight double Ragnar Trail relay. Truly Bad Ass.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank my friends and #EnduranceNation teammates Scott DinhoferJeremy BehlerDanielle Bouchard SantucciTrish MarshallTeri Shimodoi CashmoreMatt Limbert, John Withrow, Rob PetersDave CampbellKori Martini Retzbach, Tim Sullivan, and Coach Patrick McCrann for helping keep me young and motivated. You guys are the greatest.
  • Options
    It is we who need to thank you, @Al Truscott

While Al camp is always a highlight of my year the way things have turned out it will be THE highlight of my year, looking forward to next year in Snowmass 
  • Options
    So much goodness, even for a candy ass like me.  Every year I say to my hubby I'm not ready and he says "but you always go and have fun.  Go have fun!" It's hard to express how challenging and rewarding this trip is.  The natural beauty in your playground always just blows my mind!  The work is always a challenge and the nerd time with a dozen tri friends can not be beat!  Looking forward to setting a pr or two next year!  :D 
  • Options
    This is awesome. You guys are truly fit and can adapt to all the weather changes and climbing. I'd be most nervous about those descents! Goals.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott you are deserving of the gratitude.  To open your home to a dozen tri-geeks for a week of shenanigans is beyond generous.   This is always a highlight of my year and I already miss the crisp mountain air.
  • Options
     I'd be most nervous about those descents! 
    sheila, these descents are actually pretty benign compare to anything you would find in Lake Placid or even other steeper places in the Rockies,Just come out and ride next year !