Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

JoJo Thirasilpa's IM Austria Race Plan

Background / Overview

This is my first Ironman; I completed two 70.3s in 2017 (Switzerland and Thailand).  Key thoughts throughout the day:

• Stay in the box; focus on what is in my control
  • Make positive / affirmative choices; no passivity
  • Believe in your training – make good decisions based on the day
  • Have a great time and be grateful to everyone who helped me get this far and on the journey to come
Logistics / Schedule

Thursday

0415 Taxi pick up to airport – hand luggage only (carryon contains race kit, helmet etc) everything else shipped with Europe’s TriBike Transport equivalent “ShipMyTribike” and Luggage Forward
0600 Austrian Airlines London – Klagenfurt via Vienna
1040 Arrive Klagenfurt – pick up rental car, short drive to Hotel Sandwirth
1300 Registration

Friday

0800 Swim recon
1000 Bike recon – ride two key climbs Ribnighügel (1.1km @ 7% avg gradient) and Rupertiberg (2.1km @ 7.4% avg gradient)  - check watts (what is minimum watt production while maintaining steady forward progress)
Afternoon prep transition bags, special needs bags and stickers

Saturday

Drink water throughout day
0800 Breakfast (salt food)
0900 Race briefing
1200 Big lunch; low fibre; salt food
1400 Bike checkin
1700 Dinner; low fibre; salt food
2100 Bed

Sunday

0330 Wake up!  TIMING CHIP ON /
0400 Eat breakfast [100g Rice Krispies (381 cal) + 1 1/3 PowerBar Cookies&Cream Energize Bar (268 cal) + coffee for total minimum of 650 calories]
Garmin HRM
Apply Bodyglide to wrists, ankles, neck and chamois
0500 Depart hotel for transition
0715 Expected start time

Key Statistics

Height:  5’ 7
Weight:  135 lbs / 61kg
FTP:  187w  (3.1w / kg)

Equipment

EN Castelli speed suit
Blue70 Wetsuit / Huub  swim skin
Leader prescription googles
Felt DA4 (2012)
BTA bottle
2 x 750mL bottles behind seat
Favero Assioma pedals as powermeter
Edge 520
FR935
Campagnolo Bora One 50s wheelset
50 / 34 chainset and 11 / 32 cassette (1680m / 5510ft elevation gain)
Toolkit on bike includes:  multitool, spare tube with 80mm valve, latex gloves, CO2 canister x2 + inflator, minipump (willing to take slight weight penalty for redundancy), tire lever x2, tire boot, tube patches

Swim (Expect 1:45 based on race rehearsal)

Seed in >1:40 group / start wide right to avoid contact
Use first 400m (that’s 4 buoys!) to get into rhythm
Count strokes
Sight every 30 strokes
Kick for balance only

T1 – take it easy
Wetsuit to waist as coming to tent

In T1 bag:
Socks
Cycling shoes
EN cycling jersey (need the additional pockets – have practiced wearing over speed suit in race rehearsals)
Gloves
Helmet
Sunglasses
Racebelt

Bike (Target NP 125 / IF .67) – outcome ~7:30?

1 bottle / 750mL Enervit per hour (155 cal / 360mg sodium) (VALIDATED PER SWEAT TEST)
Calorie deficit of 188 cal per hour to be met by:
6 cubes (192 calories / 300mg sodium ) / 1 pack of Cliff shot blok margarita (1 cube every 10 minutes)

Steady on the climbs – you have a 32 tooth cassette – use it!
Manage watts and HR as much as possible on climbs
Focus on staying aero whenever in the flats and on the descents (if safe!)
Target NP of 125 and cross check against heartrate (expect ~145 average HR)

Make sure to pee every 2 hours

NOTE:  Generally I am focussed on process – outcome will be what it will be.  The significant exception is on bike time as there is a risk I miss the cut off if I lose focus, have a material mechanical problem, etc.  Given my expected swim time, I should have ~8:10 to complete the bike.  BestBikeSplit estimates 6:55 at my target NP / IF.  However, on my most recent race rehearsal, it estimated 5:35 for a 6 hour ride (96 miles) on a route with half of the elevation change of IM Austria.  The main cause of the difference was that my VI was higher than what BBS modelled (1.08 actual vs 1.02 modelled).  Given that I have never done an IM distance race or used BBS for a race, I’m not sure how concerned I should be about this. 

As a cross check – ensure completion of 1st 28 miles / 45km in ~1:50.  If not, push watts up to ensure 1st 56 miles in 4:00 while recognising that this will have an effect on the run.

Bike special needs:
CO2 canister x2
Spare tube with long valve
Additional sleeves of clif shot bloks

T2 – focus on getting heart rate down
Salomon S/Lab Vest (worn during RR brick runs)
Carry 2 sleeves of Clif shot bloks, Pepto Bismal tablets and 2 rolls of Salt Stick Fastchews
Switch back to regular glasses
Running hat
Ziploc bag for ice

Run

Aid station ~ every 2.5km / 1.6 miles

1 115mL cup of Enervit at each aid station (~15 minutes) (100 calories per hour / 220mg sodium)
1 cube of Clif shot blok margarita every 20 minutes (90 calories per hour / 150mg sodium)
1 Salt Stick Fast Chew every 20 minutes (150mg sodium per hour)

Run special needs:
Paracetamol (Tylenol)
2 additional rolls of Salt Stick Fastchews

Target AHR from bike leg; based on race rehearsal, this will be ~145
First 6 miles target 11:19/mile pace
Miles 6-18 target 10:49/mile pace
Miles 18 – finish:  GET IT DONE / DO NOT SLOW DOWN

My one thing:  Show my son the power of discipline, focus and hard work.

Trouble shooting:

Feeling Cramp:  Increase consumption of salt chews.

If GI problems like at 70.3 Phuket, pepto bismal tablets

If nausea, try chicken broth at aid stations

Coke if necessary

Many thanks for any feedback on my plan.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @JoJo Thirasilpa -- it's been fun tracking you on Stava, and I look forward to your IM Austria race.  I must say that based on what I've seen from your workouts, your One Thing will show great rewards on race day; your son already knows the work you've put in

Your race plan is excellent!  The level of detail and precision tells me you have a scientific mind (would be curious to hear what your profession is)

Some points from my perspective:
    • On the swim I've learned to trust other swimmers to sight.  If I'm in a bunch I'll just look left and right to guide position and not worry about sighting
    • On the bike will Enervit be provided at aid stations? I presume so; if not consider a bottle in your BSN bag
    • In T2 don't worry about getting your HR down.  Just focus on being smooth.  HR may not come down until you've run a couple of miles
    • On the run be aware of whether they've properly mixed the Enervit -- it could be strong or weak depending on the station -- plan to adjust as needed
    The first four points in your plan say a lot: clearly you have the right mindset to complete your first IM
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - Thanks very much for the feedback!  Having veterans on the team following me on Strava has definitely been both inspiring and helpful in ensuring "compliance" with the training plan.  I work at a bank and I suppose I fit the analytical stereotype of a banker...

I will certainly try your suggested method of swimming with the pack as my sighting is terrible (usually a kayak has to come corral me at least once during an OW swim!)

Enervit products will be served on course (including the drink formulation I have been training with for the past few months).  Enervit is the current nutrition sponsor for Ironman Europe - and I think has been contracted for the next 5 years, so I guess I better get used to it...

I'm looking forward to what I expect will be a pretty monumental day..

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your thoughts.

• Options
    @JoJo Thirasilpa - Looks like a good solid plan. Good advice from @Paul Curtin , again it has been great to have somone else doing the same race to follow & motivate on Strava, you HAVE done the work & you ARE ready, trust in your training. Good luck.

It looks like we will be on the same flight out so hopefully we will hook up at the airport, I am still going out even though Im now unable to compete (all booked & paid for so why not). My "race plan" has changed somwhat to.... support JoJo & Suzie Cheetham. If you want or need me to do anything, just ask, no problem.
  • Options
    @KARL BONNER Wow - I am humbled by your offer.  I hope that I will be able to manage the logistics, but will send you a PM with my number; would be fun to catch up for a beer or coffee in the runup to Sunday.
  • Options
    JoJo - you have it all planned out.  I would only offer two things.  1) Since it is your first, don't get upset if something doesn't go according to plan.  You need to be ready to make decisions on the fly.  2) You indicated that you are carrying 3 bottles on the bike.  That's a lot of weight to drag up the hills.  If you can cut one and still make it comfortably to the next aid station then consider that.  Weather on the day might dictate the right choice.  I'll be racing the same day as you, only further north :), and am thinking about just one bottle to reduce the weight I'm pulling up the hills.

I see you raced Rapperswill.  I've been to Switzerland twice for IM Zurich and Powerman Zofingen.  Eventually, I hope to make it back one more time for that 70.3.   

Good luck in your race and cheers!
  • Options
    @Paul Hough Many thanks for your feedback!  Your reminder to retain mental flexiblity is helpful as I can get locked into "execute mode" sometimes - this will certainly be a great test of the ability to improvise.  On the bottles - I hadn't considered the extra weight of the third bottle, but I will think about whether to go with two, dependent on heat.  Current forecast calls for a high of 79F, which is probably hot enough for me to increase my fluid consumption versus the nutrition plan above.  Also, as a first timer, the redundancy component of that third bottle is likely to tip it for me.

I hope you're recovering well from your fall and wish you good luck in Haugesund!
  • Options
    @JoJo Thirasilpa

You have a great plan.  Well done here.  I can't think of a better One Thing to stay focused when things go dark.  

Swim - don't overthink it.  Just focus on swimming a straight line from one buoy to the next, then reset and swim straight  to the next buoy until you run out of buoys....nothing to gain here by driving up your HR or getting into a contest....its a long day.

Bike - steady, smooth, no power spikes, aero, aero, aero.  It is about mile 70-80 when focusing becomes a bit of a challenge and sitting on the bike becomes work...I like to introduce some form of caffeine at that point as a reward and a pick me up to help stay focused.  I also like to hit the lap button on my bike computer often with changes in the terrain and show my lap NP to help me stay in my box.

Run - the back half of an IM run is where all the patience from the prior 130 miles pays big dividends.  Miles 1 - 6 don't allow your HR to exceed your 2nd half avg HR on bike no matter what pace that dictates.  This is key to executing a solid IM marathon.  Walk those aid stations if needed to get the HR down for 30 steps and use that walk to get more fluids, nutrition as needed.  On the back half of the marathon, the party is over.  Don't worry about HR to much, switch focus to RPE and keep moving forward at all cost.

Finish with pride, soak it up, hug your family.  

I will be tracking!

SS
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback, affirmation and advice!   Winding down work over the next day and getting mentally focussed.  Am ready to practice patience and discipline and will be thinking of the team when I need help to dig deep on the day! 

• Options
    Good luck!  I am on the plane in Orlando waiting for takeoff.  New bike case so some stress with that, but I saw it on the cart outside the plane.  No easy way to Haugesund ... be in Bergen tomorrow then Haugesund Thursday.
  • Options
    1 bottle / 750mL Enervit per hour (155 cal / 360mg sodium) (VALIDATED PER SWEAT TEST)
    Calorie deficit of 188 cal per hour to be met by:
    6 cubes (192 calories / 300mg sodium ) / 1 pack of Cliff shot blok margarita (1 cube every 10 minutes) 

@jo@"JoJo Thirasilpa"

Looking at your fuel for the bike are you taking in 660 mg Na/hr and 340 cal/hr by drinking one bottle of Enervit and Chews? At 61 kg your upper limit on calories is around 300/hr. Just keep that in mind if you aren't able to process 340/hr.

• Enervit is an interesting product. It has lots of stuff in it.  Have you trained with it? Whenever I see a thickening agent in a sports nutrition product I get concerned about absorption. 

Sucrose (37,7%) – Dextrose (24,5%) – Fructose (12%) – Mix of Maltodextrins with different grade of polymerization (maltodextrin DE2, maltodextrin DE6, maltodextrin DE19) (6%) - Sodium gluconate - Acid: citric acid – Flavourings - Rice starch (3%) – Concentrated orange juice powder (1%) - Potassium gluconate – Sodium chloride –Thickener: sodium carboxy methyl cellulose – Magnesium citrate dibasic – Anti-caking agent: silicon dioxide – Colour: paprika extract, carotenes - L-ascorbic acid –Nicotinamide – Calcium D-pantothenate – Riboflavin – Thiamin hydrochloride – Cholecalciferol.

• Have a back up plan if Enervit doesn't work. You could always go to Chews and salt stick if needed.
    • Your son will be impressed for the rest of his life. He will brag behind your back :)
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback Sheila and for identifying the inconsistency in my numbers.  I've lost a little weight since the sweat test - the numbers in my nutrition plan were based off 62kg, which has an effect on the numbers at the margin - and it's at the margin that I have been having trouble getting that last bit of fluid and couple of blocks of Clif Bloks down the gullet!

I can't say that Enervit is my favourite drink ever, but I have been training with it, and I feel comfortable enough with it to use it on Sunday.

Thanks again for your comments!
  • Options
    Jojo.
    I couldn't agree more with @Shaughn Simmons - what a great one thing. Great plan, especially nutrition and fueling which are so fundamental for everything else.
    Mental Execution:
    1. Try to remain present in the moment. When your mind wanders - to the future, the past or things you can't control - recognize that you are not present and ask yourself "What should I be doing right now?"  You'll immediate notice the difference in focus and draw you back into the moment. It will help you enjoy the race and keep the race execution in small manageable decisions and making good decisions throughout the day. Your mind will wander - it does for everybody - especially 3/4 of the way through each event and the race overall. When you notice your focus drifting - don't judge yourself - just ask yourself what you need to do. You'll know the answer.     
    2. Stay process focused, not outcome focused. Stay focused on executing the processes and nutrition that have helped you in other races and race rehearsals. The time, speed and finish will take take of themselves.
    I look forward to the race report! 
  • Options

Thanks for your comments Matt.  With just a few hours to go before go time, they are a very helpful reminder as the swirl of energy and activity over the past few days has been distracting.  Time to review the plan one more time now, make final preparations for dinner and then get ready for bed!