Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Zach Bennett 2018 Official Coach Thread

edited September 12, 2018 4:03PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have done Olympic tri’s, half marathons and things like that. I did Kona 70.3 three years ago but didn’t finish because of leg cramps on the bike. I am doing Boulder 70.3 on Aug 4th. I have been running, swimming, and biking quite a bit. Probably averaging 4 runs a week. Three runs during the week around 3-5 miles each and a longer 7ish mile run on the weekend. I have been swimming around 3-4 times a week for about 0.5-1 miles each. I have been biking probably around 4 times a week with shorter 20-30 mile rides during the week and 40ish on the weekend. Last weekend I did a practice tri of 0.5, 40 hilly miles, and 6.

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Boulder (2018-08-04) #703boulder_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on June 27, 2018
  • Follow the 2018 EN*Half Plan, L2 workouts through 8/5/2018
  • On 8/6/2018 follow the Post Half Transition Plan to recover, connect with Coach to discuss next steps for the Fall and beyond.

Coach Notes

I have put all of my notes for you in this video: https://s3.amazonaws.com/2018officialcoachthreadvideos/ZachBennettWelcome.mp4

Coach Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

• Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

• Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey Coach,

Currently what I have planned for 2019 is a half marathon on April 14th and the boulder 70.3 on August 3rd. My cousin is trying to convince me to do the New York City Tri (which is an olympic tri) on July 21st. That is just two weeks before the boulder 70.3. Do you think that would be fine to do? Or is that too close to the half ironman, which is a higher priority for me.

For the off season I really want to do the Run Durability program. I have always had chronic shin splint issues when I try to ramp up my runs. I am hoping using the run durability program I can potentially get past that during this off season. I also want to get some bike focus done in the off season as I still am having leg cramping issues during biking.

Hopefully you can help me get my offseason all planned! (Also if I am posting this to the wrong location let me know ha).

Thanks,

Zach

• Options

@Zach Bennett

You have plenty of time for the RDP right nw...and I would plan on starting the January OS on 1/7/2019...so between now and then, please load up the RDP plans in order...maybe start next week?

You could easily go NYCTri to Boulder...why not? You'll be fit enough, thats for sure!

WE can get into more detail once you are in the OutSeason® ...for now get to RDP-ing (in the https://web.groupme.com/join_group/34349815/2Tbioa, and in the forums) and load those plans. If you need help loading the plan On Final Surge, you can check Out this link: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Coach,

I like to play racquetball and basketball in addition to my triathlon life. I usually do each of these once a week for an hour to an hour and a half. How should I factor this into my run durability training plan? They are great for endurance but they do take a toll on the lower legs. Do they replace other run workouts, or do I fit my run workouts around these activities and just try not to do them on the same day?

Thanks,

Zach

• Options

That’s a great question! I recommend that during the run durability plan, you only do racquetball alone on those days in the first four weeks. In the second phase of the plan, you can do racquetball but maybe you warm up for 1 mile jog on the treadmill first. Then we can see where that takes you for the third phase. Make sense?

• Options

I have a RDP question. Do you want us doing the main sets on those workouts, like the tempo workouts and the strides? Or are you more concerned with us just getting the frequency in at a low constant heart rate?

• Options

Frequency and consistency. It’s not the time of year to work in speed. You could do one “fast run” per week, such as a weekend 5k, etc. but otherwise fairly “boring” runs for you.

But they do all add up, I promise!!!

• Options

Hey Coach P,

I know you are in Kona right now so no rush to getting back to this question. I had a question on biking through the winter. I know you are a huge proponent of Zwift but the barrier of entry is large for me because I don't have a trainer so I would have to start from scratch on the cost. However my gym does have the Peloton bikes. I was mainly curious on your thought of using those for the winter rides. They have power, cadence, and speed built in so you can get all of that information. Do you think just riding that would be good enough of do you still think it is worth the investment for Zwift.

Thanks and good luck in Kona. I look forward to tracking you through the app.

Zach

• Options

Oh one more question. I am looking at getting a power meter for my bike and was wondering if you had any strong opinions on what to get. What the biggest bang for the buck was, or if Endurance Nation has great deals on any.

I was looking at the PowerTap P1 pedals. The reviews from other members in the forums seem positive but just wondering what your thoughts were.

Thanks!

• Options

@Zach Bennett - let me work in reverse. Yes to the P1 pedals, and I would get the single-sided version. The discrepancy from left to right is so small it’s not worth the extra money. That should really keep the cost down.

I understand what you mean about the cost of entry for a swift. It certainly is pricey. Your power meter petals are the first step in that direction and you can always use it with a budget Trainer as Zwift works off of a friction curve so you could look for a used one that would fit that profile. Assuming Zwift already works on your laptop then all you need is an ANT plus dongle to talk to your pedals.

So you could have power and be all Zwiftified for under $500. Which is still expensive I know. In the meantime, yes you could certainly use those bikes it’s just more a function of how you would use them to accomplish your workouts relative to how they are used for the class schedule etc. But we can work it out!

• Options

Hey Coach,

I didn't realize I could use zwift with just a power and a dumb trainer. I think my dad has a trainer he doesn't use anymore so I should be able to get all set up for zwift.

So I am in the run durability program right now. I am running 4 days a week and come the end of the month I will be moving up to 5 days a week. This week I am running 13 miles and my plan was to add 1 mile a week from here going forward. Does this make sense? So far the distance and frequency feel good.

As far as other workouts am I kinda free to do whatever I feel like? First of all I am not a huge swimmer at all, so is it acceptable to not be swimming right now? And as far as biking am I good to do rides outside as the weather permits and do some classes on the peloton bikes, and kinda do whatever I am feeling? Or should I be doing something more regimented?

I was surprised how fast you got back to me after Kona ha. Hope you are recovering well.

Zach

• Options

That’s great news about your father’s trainer. I like where you are at with render ability right now. Your 1 mile a week addition sounds OK, but it sounds like you’re first going to five runs a week. If four runs get you 13 miles than five runs will probably get you 16 so let’s stick with five runs at 16 miles a week for three weeks before you start adding the miles. Ok?

Yes to the outdoor biking as weather permits. A good tempo class on the Peloton under 45 minutes is perfect. We don’t need a ton of structure right now. You just need your “daily dose“ of work with the preference towards running if possible even if it’s just 1 mile.

• Options

Coach P,

I am about to sign up for a couple races. So you think it is totally ok to do an Olympic Tri two weeks before my Half Ironman? That will not get in the way of the half training? The half is my A race for next year.

Zach

• Options

Absolutely it’s fine. The only differences we will need to move the final race rehearsal for you to the week before. Is long as you promise not to crash your bike we should be fine! 😂

• Options

Hey Coach,

I got my zwift setup and going and I have become 100% addicted to it ha. It is so much fun. Is it one of those things that I want to be careful to not over do it and accumulate fatigue? Or is biking a low enough injury risk that I can bike as much as I want as long as my body feels alright?

Thanks,

Zach

• Options

@Zach Bennett bike away! At this time of year all the cycle you want to do is OK. Would be nice for you to explore your limits on the bike and give your Run a little bit of a rest. I personally almost tripled my cycling mileage this year thanks to Zwift and it made a massive difference. I hope to see you on a ride soon.

• Options

Hey coach,

I am in the middle of the JanOs and I have a bike volume question. So I have been doing races on Tuesday's and Thursdays for those workouts, the West Coast Cruise and Crush on Saturday, and a zone 1-zone 2 easy ride on Sundays. My question is if I have some extra time I could throw at the bike where should I do it? Should I do more races, or just throw in some zone2-zone3 rides here and there?

Thanks,

Zach

• Options

@Zach Bennett That is a great question. Personally I think the one space you are not addressing his sweet spot. I have been doing these workouts on Wednesdays as they fit in nicely between the higher level intensity of races in the low level intensity of steady state work. These are intervals at 90% of your functional threshold.

Here is an example from the “what’s on zwift” website:

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/ride-on-for-world-bicycle-relief-watopia-1lap-tt-plan/week-1-c-sweet-spot-sst-3x10/

I started off with 3 x 10 and then each week I’ve added a little bit more time. So I went to 3 x 12, 4 x 10, 4 x 12, 3 x 15, etc. the goal is to increase time spent at SST by manipulating the interval duration and the recovery piece. I would start off with 30 minutes of total SST time just to see how it feels. Let me know what you think!

• Options

Hey Coach,

I realized I am now 20 weeks out from my A race. Should I swap over to the

• Options

Should I swap over to the HIM race plan or finish out the outseason training plan? I assume I should swap over?

thanks,

Zach

• Options

Oh also can I still substitute zwift races for some of the bike workouts? I am officially addicted to racing ha.

• Options

I don’t recommend swapping over until you are 12 weeks out so please continue the Elsies and plan. Yes, feel free to swap Tuesday Thursday to ride Zwift Races

I recommend you try and match your TSS for writing that day with the TSS described in the program. Other than that, go for it!

• Options

Hey Coach,

I am doing an Olympic triathlon in a week and a half and had a pacing question. I am right in the middle of the 70.3 training plan and have not been able to do a race sim for the olympic. Can I get a good guess of target power for the bike based on FTP or from some of my training rides? Is it as simple as a percentage of FTP? I have lots of data, all of my workouts are in strava, elevate, training peaks and final surge ha. I am not as worried about the run as I am already pretty good at run pacing, its just the bike that I have the question.

Also completely unrelated question. On the half training plans, occasionally we have a long ride on Friday and Saturday with a long run on Sunday. I am not going to be able to do the long ride on Friday, so I am going to have to flex my long rides to Saturday and Sunday. What should I do with the long Sunday run? Should I move it back to Thursday?

Thanks,

Zach

• Options

Great questions. The bike pacing for an Olympic it is just under threshold some of the 90 and 95%. If there’s hills or critical sections where additional effort would be beneficial if you can certainly push the pace for 2 to 3 minutes at a time at or just above threshold. Just remember to give yourself the first five or 10 minutes of the bike to get settled before you step on the gas. I agree, on the run you know what to do!

Those weekends are the volume up or a.k.a. camper weekends. If you are unable to do them as Friday Saturday Sunday, are usually tell people to do it is Saturday Sunday in the long run on the following Monday. If you think that the Thursday long run will not impact your performance on Saturday and Sunday, then you can make that modification. Either way, we have to make sure that we exit that weekend with a little bit of a rest day so your body can absorb it and then recover.

• Options

Ok new plan. My P1s gave out on me yesterday. (Of course they did). So now do I go off of heart rate, or perceived effort? Do I take my HR from my FTP test and do some percentage of that? Or am I think about this too much and I should just go out and ride my bike ha?

Zach

• Options

OMG. Get those in as soon as you can, they are generally pretty good about turning them around although not as fast as it will take for your race. Sorry to hear about that.

Heart rate is a good guide after about 20 minutes so you’ll have to go with your gut in terms of just how hard you are working.

Don’t sweat it too much, you’ll be well into your threshold sweet spot by the time you hit the midpoint of the bike and it will be fairly easy to carry that through the rest of the day on the ride. The transition to the run is also effective with heart rate because the numbers are already elevated coming off of the bike. It’s a little less scientific, but it still possible to execute well.

And honestly, the more that he was playing a role in the day the more effective a tool HR will be.