Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Mark Moore's IRONMAN LAKE PLACID 2018 Race Plan

IRONMAN LAKE PLACID 2018

This is my first Ironman or full distance Triathlon. I am 49 years old, 5’9” and 175lbs depending on what I had for breakfast. I have been doing triathlons for 6 years and have completed a 70.3 distance personal event. This is my race plan, please let me know if you have comments or suggestions.  

Night before race day.
No fiber meal.  Chicken, Pork or the like with rice or potatoes. Drink GE.

Charge Garmin Watch and bike computer

Race morning

Wake 4:30am (may change due to travel time to Transition area)

Yogurt smoothie, half a bagel with peanut butter. Small coffee, no more than 8oz.
Sip on a bottle of GE until ready to race.

Arrive at T1. Fill the aero bottle with water, fill frame bottle with GE. Put bottle GE and Repair kit in bottle cages behind the seat. Put Clif Blok in bento bag. Put bike computer on the bike. Put helmet and sunglasses on aero bars. Air up tires and double check gear choice.

Get body marking done. Continue to sip on GE. Have wife take lots of pictures of me with my EN swag on. Put on sunscreen. Put wetsuit on rolled at waste, heart rate strap on, swim cap, goggles, and earplugs in hand.

200yd warm-up

Swim

Seed myself with 1:30 swimmers group.  Stay calm, go out slow and steady. Keep thinking slower. Breath every third stroke. Sight every 20 breaths. Try to find a place with fewer swimmers. Exit the water tap watch to T1

T1

Goggles up, wetsuit unzipped, tag a peeler to get it off, stuff cap and goggles and earplugs in a leg fold suit. Grab Bag. Towel off. Bike Jersey on and zipped. Socks on, Shoes on. More Sunscreen. Wetsuit into bag. Handoff suit and bag to volunteer with a gift card. Get to bike. Wake up computer and pedals. Helmet and sunglasses on.

Bike

Start computer at mount line. Tape watch to Bike. Toggle computer screen to screen two (Speed, Power, Cadence, Heart Rate).  The plan is to ride at about 140watts and 90rpm. If I’m over 15mph I can let the watts be lower. i.e. 35mph downhill or 21mph on a flat. As I head into a hill I try to keep the cadence above 90 and shift down to keep the watts in check. I try to keep the watts below 200 on the hills. Depending on the grade it will usually settle in at 170 to 200 in 1st or 2nd gear depending on the grade. I also watch my Heart Rate and don’t let it go over 140. If I see my Hr start over 140 I will lighten up on the cadence or catch that last gear. I try to ride at 130bpm with a max of 140bpm.

Nutrition plan for the bike – 450cal and 1000mg sodium per hour.  

Drink 1 ½ bottles of GE every hour. Eat one Clif Blok every 10min. The computer on my bike alerts every 10min and every 5mile so I use these as reminders to eat and drink. Water to clear the mouth and keep the over sweet feeling from coming on.

T2

Tap watch to T2

Handoff bike. Get bag. Helmet off, running cap on. Change socks and shoes. Change shirt. Put on cool wings. More Sunscreen. Race saver bag. Put race belt on while moving. Use water bottle to wet cool wings after putting on.

Belt loaded with Clif Blok Margarita.

Handoff bag.

Run

Tap watch to Run

TRP of 11:15 a mile or slower. Maintain heart rate between 140 to 150bpm as long as possible.

Nutrition plan for the run is one Clif Blok Margarita per mile. 4oz of GE every aid station. If I start feeling over sweet I can drink Chicken broth. I will have gum and tums if needed for stomach issues or as a distraction.

Stay loose, KMF, Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Really looking forward to racing with the EN family.

Mark

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    You have done a great job hacking the plan. Your race is going to go just fine. Enjoy the process and let the day come to you. Proud of you.
  • Options
      In past years you could not leave helmet or shoes on your bike.  They will try to get your bike off the rack and to the end of the aisle if transition isn't too crowded.  You might want to take a look at some old race plans to familiarize yourself with some of the particulars of IMLP that will be helpful and make your day more enjoyable.  Have fun.  We'll be watching.
  • Options
    Thanks Robert Sabo. Didn't think about them bringing the bike to me. I've never had that kind of service before.
  • Options
    Solid plan and looks like you're prepared for your first IM. Like Robert mentioned, typically your bike helmet/shoes/sunglasses goes in the Bike Bag. Enjoy the day! Looking forward to meeting you and racing with you.
  • Options
    @Robert Sabo. In past years what did your family enjoy doing at LP? I didn't get a chance to ask your wife.
  • Options
    Three things I see:
    • Helmet and glasses need to be in bike bag
    • At your weight 450 cal/hr seems high. You are about 80 kg. Absorption can happen around 3-5 cal//kg. That puts you at 240 - 400 cal/hr. If you start to bloat trying to eat 450 calories just back off.
    • Get past the mount line before starting your computer. Its a crazy spot, so just get going and start it one or two minutes later.
    Have fun. Stay in the moment. It's going to be a great day!
  • Options
    I'll second what @Sheila Leard said don't do anything around the mount line.  It's down hill with a sharp turn concentrate on getting out of t1 safely. 

2nd depending on where you are in the evening the chicken broth may not be ready too early or could not be available.  I thought it was only certain aid stations where it was available.