Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

CDA 70.3 Post race

My goals were to improve my T1-T2  transition times as there was  room for improvement.
My bike time was disappointing to me and felt I could make inroads in that giving that I have raced at CDA 4 times before.
My run was slow for me. I felt I had a 2 hour half marathon in me and had run a 1:54 in the spring. I was looking to have a time of 6 hours or less. 
I forgot my Garmin : Left it in hotel room to charge and forgot to grab it before we left at 4 am.  I did have Garmin on my tri bike, and used my Timex for the rest of the day. I learned how hard it is counting backwards in order to better understand my place. Of course the moral of the story is to use the check lists EN has for us.  

My 4 Keys were to #1 have a good drive across the  state of Washington, get settled and checked in and rest, and recon the course prior to race.  I arrived Friday to race on Sunday.  I might have, in retrospect, come on Thursday, as I felt jet lagged and fatigued going into Sunday.

#2-4.  In all facets execution could have been better.  I did improve in in T1 and T2 transitions but not enough.  I did not take into account the long distance from the water to the bike racks in T-1 and similar long distance from bike exit to run.  

In the rolling start I went with the 30-35 minute group.  I swam straight at each buoy and was never really tired.  I am well trained and should be able to go faster. I am going to do  more open water training sessions to improve this aspect of each race. My time was 38:08 minutes, a few seconds slower than Victoria. 

The bike was a bit of a fiasco at the bike mount. I slipped and landed on the bar, bruising the left testis at the start. My first time doing that.  Good news is I have 4 adult kids and & 8 grandkids. That being said, the next 20 miles is flat and fast and I was not. I had some residual nausea and pain for 1st 20 miles.  I was able to get ice at the first aid station which helped a lot and took one 200 mg Aleve which worked well.  The 3000 feet of climbing begin here through mile 45.  I maintained composure but was passed by late comers after the swim.  I finished 3:25.37. My goal for the season was 2:30.  I may have over reached, but on a given day I believe I am capable to going much faster.

Going to T 2 my goal was 2 minutes. Guys I know were getting done in 2 minutes.  So I missed the mark.  More practice sessions with transitions.  

The Run: Better by 7 minutes, and also feel I could have gone faster.  I waited until mile 10 to begin my surge.  I will work on speed in practice runs and begin surge sooner. 

Future goals:
Faster in all venues.
Follow race plans and work on improving speed on bike to set up the run.  
I am not going to win in the water, but there is room for improvement.  
I would still like to get faster in T1 and T 2.  
Race with mindfulness, and close look at the overall picture. 
Put race chip on left ankle , swim googles around my neck and Garmin placed on left wrist prior to leaving the hotel room. 

Next step: On to Calgary 70.3 

South Africa is pending A race.