Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jack Boyle 2018 Official Coach Thread

Mr Boyle...

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I have been racing for 20 years...  15 70.3 6 140.6 ...  prs 5:10 70,3 and 11:25 140.6 ...  won AG at Atlantic City tri 2 years in a row.  last 2 70,3 blow the run...  good swim and bike last year was down to 7:45 miles train 6days a week

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City (2018-09-23) #703atlanticcity_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on July 8, 2018
  • On 7/2/2018 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018
  • On 12/3/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/30/2018

Coach Notes

Jack, I have set out your season ^above^  and loaded all of the appropriate workouts into your Final Surge account so you can see them. Please review what's listed and adjust the workouts as needed to match your schedule. We can talk more on the phone during our Coach Call if there is something more complicated that we need to plan for / accommodate. 

In order to best help you get ready for AC, here is some homework for you: 

1. Can you please share the dates of those last two races / get me the Strava Weblink so I can review the data? 
  2. Can you please outline your current nutrition plan so I can understand what you are drinking and eating?
  3. Please plan ahead to do a sweat test during one of our weekend rides; the information is online here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Nutrition+Central; it's critical for us to know (A) how much you sweat and (B) how much you are taking in. This process gives us critical information to help re-shape your race day. 

Coach Homework

1. Set up that Coach Call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

2. Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited August 6, 2018 12:37PM
    @Coach Patrick had a minor setback end of last week.  injured calf slight pull but bike and swim are fine .  after 55mile bike and 50min run on sunday the 22nd felt i needed a day or 2 off then afraid to miss long run so ran last friday then pulled calf last 10-15min .  ran today first time since .  need to race next saturday 8/11 . change up schedule a little bit
  • Options
    @jack boyle - sorry for missing this earlier in the week...ugh! Calves are the worst. Being smart is key, and some good self care (foam rolling, light stretching and a good warm up -- see below for hips -- are all mandatory). 

I have adjusted your plan in Final Surge to be more bike focused (Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun), with shorter runs around the two key runs.... Key 1 = Wed, Key 2 = Sun. 

I only want you running as far / fast as you are able to do safely. We aren't building fitness right now, we are maintaining until you are healthy again with that calf. 

Since I don't know what you are racing this weekend, I can't really give you specific advice. Usually the Friday is OFF or swim only. Sunday would be the "make up" bike ride, but no real need to run.

Let me know how it goes!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    racing olympic distance which i won age group last 2 years so lots of pressure.  then back to training for ironman ac 70.3 sept 15.  
  • Options
    Got it.  I made a few more edits to the plan. I hope your run this morning felt Good. I am banking on it and have you doing more runs tomorrow and Thursday. Then it’s a swim and rest/racing. 

Remember we want to take it easy on you calf, we don’t want to do anything to jeopardize the rest of your year. 
  • Options

@jack boyle

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!