Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

ETAP

thinking of getting the TT eTap. Who here got it? Good/bad, PROs/CONs. Educate me pliz
Thanx
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I upgraded my 2012 BMC TM01 earllier this year from 10 speed mechanical to 11 speed Etap.  Works great.  I bought 2 extra batteries just because I'm anal and wanted back-up in case anything got lost when I traveled to Norway with the bike.  I've had ZERO issues with it, but I've read some reviews with people complaining that the tabs holding the batteries in place can crack or open up while riding rough roads.  For IM Norway I secured the batteries with a small piece of electrical tape over the caps just as an extra precaution.  Although the batteries were full before I put the bike in transition, I still put one of the extra batteries in my tool kit.  So I was redundantly redundant.  The Norway course required constant shifting and the system worked flawlessly.
  • Options
     Last year, I didn’t  remove the batteries for my drive over to Muncie 70.3 about five hours away from home. During the first loop the rear battery died. I put the front battery on the back. That got me through until about mile 45. Fortunately it died in a reasonable gear and I honestly wasn’t hurt that much. So take batteries off for travel and remember to swap the batteries if you don’t have a replacement. The batteries last forever but I still charge them before races. 
  • Options
    I had eTap installed a few months ago. I haven't any issues either. I also bought an extra battery for my saddle bag, just in case. As Paul mentioned I had the tabs on my batteries to crack. I didn't know the cause but through my LBS SRAM replaced them as they were under warranty. Also, as Brian discovered, my LBS said to remove the batteries whenever you're transporting your bike. When the eTap senses movement, they turn on and drains the battery. 
  • Options
    I converted my 5 yr old P5 to etap last year. I haven't had much mileage on it, but do like it. It takes getting used to when i switch between road bike (Di2) and TT bike. 
    I wasn't aware of the battery tab issue, so now I will be buying an extra battery. Also wasn't aware of the motion sensing issue that @Derrek Sanks pointed out, but can verify that happens even having it in your car and being transported. good piece of info to know. 
    as for durability, they survived my epic crash with no damage and I think the Rear derailleur took a direct hit.  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    U guys ROCK! thank u
  • Options

I have eTap almost 2 years, I like it, the only issue I had- last IM it starts to shift by itself a few times, every time I stop, a few clicks and it back to work then one of the shiftier stopped to work.

I found one of  control channel on the main unit gone… It replaced fast and free.