Home General Training Discussions
Options

Boomer Seminar Three: Active & Passive Self Care

Seminar Three Planning Time....the theme is "Self Care / Strength."

Ignoring the initial voting elements (here), some of which have already been covered, I think this should be broken into two parts: Active Care and Passive Care. 

We could split the seminar to discuss both elements, as well is In-Season vs OutSeason advice.

Active Care Examples:

• Warm Ups / Smart Intensity

• Sequencing Workouts for Quality (Run First? Second?)

• Core / Functional Strength Work

• Yoga / Stretching

Passive Self Care Examples:

• How to Improve Sleep

• Speeding Post Workout Recovery

• Dietary Changes (Reduce inflammation, etc)

The Format…I think the Moderator leading a RoundTable (everyone who wants to talk gets 2’ to share their info) + Discussion (talk on what was shared) is the best set up. Anyone interested in being Moderate this time around?

Picking a Date...I suggest Monday after Ironman Canada which is July 30th at 8pm EST

Thanks!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    I think the round table can work if the person talking truly keeps it short. Perhaps have some bullet  points to stay on task. I'd be glad to add my two cents for two minutes.
  • Options
    I like the format and round table discussion, looking forward to  it.  
    I'll be fresh off another Canadian Race 70.3 Calgary, same weekend as Whistler.  
  • Options
    I have no particular expertise in this area, but would love to participate. My suggestion would be we jot some notes on bullet points above to help keep things succinct.
  • Options
    I've had a less than ideal recovery from a short surgery on Monday, but I'll be functional by then...
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2018 11:07AM
    There's a lot of potential content here, and depending on how many peeps participate either one of these topics could easily take 45 minutes.  If we get through Active Care in 30 minutes, then we can likely hit Passive Care in another 30.  If one topic takes longer than 40 we could make an audible and defer the second topic to another seminar if needed

Happy to moderate if nobody else volunteers ==> An update on 7/30: may have a conflict for tonight
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin - do you still have a conflict for tonight? We could postpone if needed...
  • Options
    I'm  back and I think my 63 years qualifies me for this group.  Do I have the right understanding?  May I listen in?

• Options
    @Coach Patrick -- 8:00 p.m. this evening is good for me, the conflict has been resolved.  Let's time-box the session to no more than 60 minutes.  For the format, I suggest we go topic by topic, and let people contribute to each topic as we go through them.  Any uncovered topics can be deferred to another session
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. I’ll be there with notes to keep my response succinct. 
  • Options
    I am going up to Banff Canada for week for a little R&R, if place I’m
    staying has internet or I’m not up some mountainside, I will be there:)
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
     I'll be around.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick OK, so what's the number to call in...?
  • Options
    I'm planning to join ... also need connect info. ...

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 1:49 PM Al Truscott <
    teamenforums+d24934-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Al Truscott commented on Boomer Seminar Three: Active & Passive Self Care
    >
    > @Coach Patrick OK, so what's the number to call in...?
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/266574#Comment_266574
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options
    Folks, looks like we'll have plenty of attendees for this evening's session.  Give me a minute to get it set up.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2018 9:58PM
    Hopefully the meeting is properly set up.  Given the range of potential topics and discussion, I'd like to propose an open format where we'll walk through the topics one by one, with time for the participants to add a point or two on the topic if they choose.  I'll ask @Alicia Chase to volunteer to select the first topic and add a couple of points to start the discussion ... the topics can be from the list above on active care or on passive care, or other topics that you'd like to introduce.  Once we cover the first topic I'll then ask someone else to start the discussion on the second topic.

Here is the Web link to join by computer, tablet, or smartphone:
    https://zoom.us/j/208106299

To join by phone only, the Zoom telephone number is 646.558.8656.  I believe the meeting ID is 208-106-299, although Patrick typically has another meeting ID, so if that doesn't work try 257-287-7525

We'll set a time limit of 60 minutes.  I have it set to automatically record the meeting.

Looking forward to tonight's session!!!
  • Options
    Sounds good @Paul Curtin Topic selected, and a few notes made. 
  • Options
    What's the call in number? 
  • Options
    Oh, never mind - see it above in Paul's note... :|
  • Options
    Will this one be available to listen to for those of us who did not attend?

• Options
    @Trish Marshall I know @Paul Curtin recorded it, so hopefully will be available soon. Re: our discussion on GF foods, I found a chickpea pasta, brand name Banza. Only 4 ingredients: chickpeas, pea protein, tapioca and xantham. 25g protein, 13g fiber and 43g net carbs per serving. Our local Target carries it, and I found it on Thrive. I haven’t eaten real pasta in about 4 years, but my husband said it was the best GF pasta we’ve had. I thought it was very good, didn’t turn to mush in the marinara sauce, and I like that it’s not a highly processed food like so many GF products are.
  • Options
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NM8gmpp517oU5cBfxf4SZ-YgZ05CfWVV

@Coach Patrick has to convert the video to a forum post.  In the interim, here's the raw video in unconverted format on my Google Drive.  You'll probably have to download it to watch it.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2018 12:24PM
    Banza is made in Detroit!  Good stuff, and if you have a Kroger or affiliate grocery in your area, you should be able to find it there as well.  

Thank you @Paul Curtin
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  I have an idea on the next topic. 'Metrics for Boomers"

After reading  @Al Truscott comment on my SR 70.3 RR about HR he revealed a concept that as we age there is a potential  lack of reliability of using HR. It may have to do with  striated muscle.  We need muscle for power.  There is also the issue of  plasticity and stiffness and how this affects our run. A perfect example of how strength training can help.

How can Stryd data help Boomers reveal limiters?

If leg stiffness is bigger at the end of the run, then perhaps one is not ready for that distance or not recovered or lcking muscle?

HR - does it lie as we age? Is it holding us back to go harder? When do you ignore it?

Thirst - though not a metric, as we age thirst mechanism is not as keen. What do you do about that?

Watts - when do we accept the ceiling on FTP and forget about the roof? 

Just my thoughts circling around my head today. 
  • Options
    To clarify what I had intended to observe to @Sheila Leard... first, I was confusing my terms. "Skeletal" muscle is the term I should have used to those muscles which move our limbs and core (Quads, glutes, biceps, lats, abs, etc). Both Cardiac and Skeletal muscle are striated, as distinct from smooth muscle, which lines our gut, blood vessels, lungs, and works in a mechanically different way.

Now, the main point I was trying to make. Many older athletes, those of us past (sometimes way past) 55 who are still doing competitive sports like triathlon, are more likely than not life-long athletes. Not necessarily life-long competitors, but folks who have always been doing *something* most of their lives - hiking, skiing, running, biking, kayaking, whatever, they always had to be active. And also, I suspect that the majority of these life-long athletes got their start in their teen years. These characteristics imply that their heart/cardiac muscle is in good shape, and can easily and quickly improve with a relatively short period of structured, disciplined training. While the heart may lose its high-end fitness (ie, max heart rate decline with aging), it can still enlarge so that each beat pumps out more blood and thus increases cardiovascular efficiency.  Maybe this is because it never really gets a chance to "de-train"...the heart can't take a minute, much less a day off! It's different is some significant ways from skeletal muscle - microscopically it looks different, it has a different set of connections to the brain via nerves, and it has its own unique responses to hormonal stimulation.

For various reasons, skeletal muscle more easily and quickly loses its size and strength if not used. This becomes more pronounced the older we are.

My observation was not that HR can be ignored when training or racing, but that neuromuscular strength is probably more important as a limiter of the older athlete's performance. And my thought is that perceived exertion (RPE) is the best "measure" we have for monitoring that during activity. RPE, not in terms of respiratory rate or depth, but rather how our muscle feel during activity.

I tend to spin out theories all the time, and this one may or may not have validity...
  • Options
    Thank you @Al Truscott  for responding. I think it's worth a discussion. How metrics change with age. I'm going to look at the literature. I bet there is validity in this.

• Options
    @Sheila Leard @Al Truscott I would be very interested in this discussion. If either of you were to track down some links to research, I’d be happy to do some homework.