Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

2018 IMLP Lessons Learned

Congratulations to all of you on an incredible race. It was a fantastic day to spectate and watch you execute like veterans. I hope you are enjoying the beginning of your recovery.

I’m starting this thread to give you a chance to share your lessons learned from the training build up and race day changes that you made this season. I know each of you try things a little differently, and some of them were small but some of them are huge. I’d appreciate if you could share it back to the team so we could all learn and grow! 

Comments

• Options
    Nutrition: For last year’s IMLP, even though I think my stomach issues were viral-related, I hadn’t strictly practiced nutrition and hydration during training. This year, I started back in February while I was riding for three hours on Le Zwift, using the food and hydration mix I planned to use for racing, tweaking my mix and the timing of food intake. No gut issues this year, other than just taste fatigue.
    Transitions: I knew this was an area I could save some time. I didn’t physically practice it (other than at Syracuse 70.3). Instead, I spent a lot of time visualizing the items in my gear bag and the order in which I would put things on and/or decide if I needed them. Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast. Took about a minute each off T1 and T2.
    Bike: The changes on this year’s course and the weather on the day were definite issues that affected the bike. What I did the best this year was to just stick to the plan. As hard as it was to see my average speed dropping in that horrible headwind on the Cascades, I stuck with the JRA, Bucket O’ Chicken effort. Ended up with the 6th fastest bike in my AG. Also, all of those hours on the trainer—the FTP, VO2 and ABP rides—really prepared me for both the Syracuse (another tough bike course) and IMLP bike legs. I was able to stick to my plan and come off the bike running.
    Run: Highly recommend the RDP plan. Even though I do have a hip issue (diagnosis and prognosis in progress), I had a very good run at Syracuse (fastest in AG), and had 16 good miles at IMLP. The hip issue forced me to walk, but while I still could run, the fitness and pace were there. Had this issue not developed when it did, I believe I would’ve had a very consistent run, and I believe the RDP was the difference.
  • Options
    Main changes from last year:

1. Zwift races. I raced about 1x per week in place of the FTP workout. Those races, plus the Hangon and Sunday EN zwift rides made me realized I could ride harder and longer than I thought possible. I was able to get comfortable being uncomfortable in high Z3 to high Z4. Huge confidence builder.

2. Incorporated Paul's Inside Out rides (called challenge rides in the IM plan) and Crush workouts.

My Tri bike FTP only increased 8-10 watts from last year, but my muscular endurance strength significantly increased. 

• Options
    Big changes: set alert on Garmin to remind myself to drink every 10 minutes; consider 5 minutes if temps reach 80 degrees. Put Infinit in aero bottle and electrolytes on down tube.
    Run: Use cooling towel and ice bag to keep cool. Also used ice under the hat occasionally.
    Overall: wear one kit all day to save time in transition ( not sure what happened in T2 because it was way too long but I wasn't changing). 
  • Options
    Lesson learned: Sign up for team dinner or else you will eat peanut butter sandwiches. 
  • Options
    Not necessarily new things learned but a number of previous learnings validated.   More to come in my RR.

1) So much easy/free speed is available.  Get a good fit, get comfortable descending fast, nail transitions.
    2) Don't get behind on nutrition...the longer the day the more important.   I had to pee by mile 30 and probably went 5-6 times on the bike.   I was diligent taking in 100-150 calories of solid food every 30 minutes.
    3)Stick to your plan.   Like every race I was out early with few others on the bike but after 35 miles the slower swimmers started passing me.   I let them zoom past me on the flats and climbs, would catch them on the downhills, and after mile 60 I never saw them again.   
    4)Embrace the challenges.   While most people were fretting about the weather I loved it.   One...it makes you feel like a total badass in those conditions and two...it's an opportunity to put time between you and your competition as they over-react.   

• Options
    2018 Ironman Lake Placid Race Report
    Race week prep:
    I arrived in Lake Placid on Monday. Tuesday was a swim day and getting loosened up from the trip. I swam a few hundred yards in the morning and then a full lap in the afternoon. The cable line was all it is cracked up to be and more. I felt strong on the swim, but was still worried about the start of the race. (More on that later) Wednesday I got a preview of the Bike course by Steve Ross. The only thing that might have been better would have been going to the LP Bike Camp. Steve was a big help taking me out to the desent into Keene and having me take it twice. He then drove me around the rest of the course giving me advice at every section. A small run on Thursday, just a mile out and back on Mirror Lake Rd. Yep, I still knew how to run. I didn’t practice walking eventhough I knew I would be doing some by the end of Sunday. After the team swim on Friday it was relax and stay in my box.

Race Day:
    Pre race went as planned and all was good until into the water. I had lined up with the 1:30 to 1:40 group. I have done mass start swims before and knew it would be hectic. I was really trying to swim slow, count my strokes and not over work it. FAIL!!!!!!!!! At the second buoy, I was breathing hard and not able to keep swimming. I struggled on and off to the next buoy. I was wheezing and having a lot of trouble. As I was hanging on the side of a paddle board all that was going through my head was, “There is no way in hell that my day is done 300 yards into this @###@%%$#^& swim!” I found some open water to the inside of the cable line and did some back stroking. I was going slower than I can, but the intent was to get my breathing down and finish the swim the right way. It took me until the 7th or 8th buoy to calm down. I then finished the rest of the swim the way I had trained. Total swim 1:40. A little slower than I could have done, but I came out of the water already a winner. I had been to the dark place and killed it. It could only get better from here.

Onto the bike went smooth, I concentrated on biking my watts and getting my heart rate under control. It was raining and soon to be sleeting as I started my decent into Keene. The recon of this decent paid off and I was only slightly slower than I would be without the rain. This was mostly because I was decending at about twice the speed of everyone else around me. It rained most of the first lap and I was about 15min slower than I had planned to be.The cold, rain and wind had caused me to go harder than I had planned to go. Looking back at my heart rate I was higher than I should have been. The second lap went more to plan with a lower heart rate. The rain mostly stayed away. The hills were a bit steeper than I had hoped for. I was in first gear when ever the road went up. I would be pushing 170 to as high as 210 watts just to keep moving forward. The weather and steep hills would show there effects on the run.

The last 26.2 miles! As I started out onto the run I really did feel great. Coach P was there as I started out of town. Reminding me to run my race, do my pace and finish strong. The training and tapper had down their job. My ankles, knees and legs felt good and stronger then they ever had on a brick run. For the most part I feel that I ran my race just as planned. I kept my heart rate in the 140 range. While I had a steady decline in pace from 11 to 12 min/mile down to 15ish I never thought I couldn’t keep going. The first lap was really strong. As I started into lap two the energy lost in the swim blow-up, rain/cold and the higher watts on the hills reared its head. I was feeling tired and my pace slowed as the energy reserves ran out. I had been right on with my nutrion plan all day. I had drank and eatin as planned taking in a clif Blok every ten minutes on the bike and every mile on the run until mile 21. That is when my stomach said it did not like green eggs and ham. I was able to keep taking in the Gatorade in a reduced volume, but I literally could not put anything else in my mouth without my stomach turning over. This really increased the depletion of energy in the last few miles.

My total time for the day was only 38min slower than what I had hoped for. In future races I need to work harder on not blowing up at the start of the swim, bank more energy on the bike and watch my heart rate better on the first half of the bike. Then, maybe I can hold that 12min mile on the run and finish a little stronger. Overall this was a big win for me. Goal #1, make it out of the water. Check. Goal #2, Finish the race. CHECK, CHECK!!!!!! Goal #3, don’t be in the last hour. Check, check and check! 

Thank You to everyone on the team.
  • Options
    @Mark Moore  Congrats on your first IM finish.  It was great to see you out there on the run course.  Keep learning, keep moving and keep racing.  You will get through that 38 minutes and more.
  • Options
    @Mark Moore Congratulations Ironman! You met your goals, learned from your race and already talking about future IM races = a successful day! 
  • Options
    • Amped up Bike and Run fitness in OS and IMLP ramp
    • Executed race nutrition & hydration for every long ride & run ... not just Race Rehearsals
    • Used hydration belt for the run ... adding my hydration (to alternate w/GE) and my gels
    • More focus on Power and HR on Bike & Run (Stryd) ... Pace minimized
    • Very detailed race plan including execution steps for specific sections of both Bike & Run
    • Made "strategic" use of Special Needs for both Bike (gel, stop, stretch) & Run (replace hydration belt bottle)
    • More heavily used previous EN IMLP Race Reports to dial in my 2018 race plan