Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Sheila Leard - Santa Rosa 70.3 Plan

Here's my quick and dirty race plan for this weekend Santa Rosa 70.3.

After the fiasco of Ironman Boulder I was left with a hunger to race again. Normally I would never race seven weeks after an Ironman but I feel healthy and Santa Rosa is my stomping grounds. 

The field for this West Coast 70.3 is always competitive. I like that! It's the big sand box. After listening to @Coach Patrick 's July office hours I"m going to try one of the tactics he mentioned about race execution, which is push the bike at the end, settle into the run and then push again at the end of the run. This might work for me because I don't do well trying to match the beginning of the run HR to the bike HR. The forecast is hot (not as hot as Boulder) so the heat might mess with me. 

I have not tried this tactic before, but why not? 

Swim - comfortable
Bike - within watts that match zone 2, last 8 miles push watts into what feels like ABP
Run - take first two miles to settle in, then let HR drift up a bit, then last 5K push!

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a good plan @Sheila Leard! I look forward to your report on the impact pushing the watts on the last 8 miles. 

There is talk that it may be a non-wetsuit swim. Is there any contingency planning you need to do for this? Bring a swim skin perhaps?

I love the Kienle quote! Have a good race!
  • Options
    Thanks @Scott Imlay  I'm bringing my swim skin just in case. Otherwise I'm wearing my sleeveless wetsuit which I love

• Options
    @Sheila Leard Why not? Since this is an add-on race, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Could be an excellent opportunity to learn what you’re capable of. Good luck, go get ‘em!