Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Ross Randolph Santa Rosa 70.3 Race Plan

Goals:

• Outcomes:

• Overall:  Sub 4:45 (Gives me a chance for Top 10 AG assuming similar finish times as last )

• Swim: <30 minutes (only if wetsuit legal) … about 4 minutes slower if not (don’t have a skinsuit)

• Bike: 2:35 (21-22 mph) … still not sure difference between my “could” bike and my “should” bike

• Run: 1:32 (7:00/mile)

• T1: <5 min

• T2: < 3 min

• Don’t bonk on run (i.e., good bike & good run)

• Process:

• Execute nutrition plan

• Adjust to conditions / stay in box

Background:

• First 70.3 since Santa Rosa 70.3 last year.

• 42, 5’10”, 155 lbs

• Strong swimmer, Strong runner.  Weakness is the bike.  FTP about 230W.  First time racing with power on the bike.  Pace & HR on the run.

• Last year’s results:

• Me (overall includes 10+ minutes of T1/T2):

• Swim

• Wetsuit legal?  If no, expect about 0:10/100 yard slower time based on RR.

• Line up with 30 minute group (rolling start).

• New pair of goggles (tinted for sun). Don’t touch the lenses!

• Breathe on the left, buoys on the right.  Find fast feet & follow the bubbles.

• T1

• Keep goggles & swimcap on; peel wetsuit off (easier to run without it on)

• Jog up hill  (expect HR to increase).  Takes about 2-3 minutes to get to T1 from water.

• Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

• Socks on 1st, sunglasses & helmet.  Goggles & wetsuit in T1 bag.

• Bike

• First 20 minutes

• Take a peek at HR; will be high after running up hill to T1

• Start liquid GE; watch HR come down during descent  (careful on turns)

• Target Power = 170-175W

• Target HR = 130 bpm (Zone 2)

• 20 minutes – 1 hour

• Take first Clif Blok (3 per hour – mix Cherry & Watermelon in bento box)

• Start increasing Power; target = 180-190W (Zone 3); HR 140-145 bpm

• Hydrate about every 5-10 minutes; stay aero, use bottles from cage to refill – refill with bottle every 30 minutes

• 1 hour – 2 hour

• Nutrition Clif Bloks (every 20’)

• Pick up GE at aid station (2 bottles)

• Ride Chalk Hill smart.  Keep power reasonable up, maintain power down other side

• 2 hour – T2

• Nutrition Clif Bloks (every 20’)

• Pick up GE at aid station (1-2 bottles)

• Opportunity to power up?  Make a move around Mile 40-50 …?  (Thinking not more than 200W.  No such thing as good bike & bad run.)

• T2

• No running dismount, nothing fancy.  Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

• Rack bike, helmet off, Fuelbelt on – everything else in Go Bag (water bottles, bib, hat)

• Run

• First 3 miles in HR jail:  likely won’t be able to push pace faster than 7:30 to keep HR 140 bpm …?

• Miles 3 – 10: steady, lock into pack … watch HR drift but don’t react.  Up to 150-155 bpm ok.  Any higher, ease up.

• Miles 10 – Finish:  enjoy the suck.  HR will get up 160 or higher.  Keep a kick for the finish.

• Nutrition

• Breakfast (early start method):  Oatmeal, banana, PB on toast, coffee  (nothing too exciting; tried & tested)

• Post Race

• Figure out what went right, what went wrong.  Ask in the forum.  Learn and apply.

• Next race Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz in September.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Ross Randolph

I'll look for you on course. Will you be in a EN kit? You'll finish before the heat hits. Good luck.
  • Options

@Sheila Leard

Yes, will be first time I'm racing in red.  :) 

I rode part of the course last weekend; I only scouted miles 10-30 and there are several bumpy spots so be careful.  I had a bottle pop out on me.  I don't think there is a GroupMe for this race so not sure who else from the team is going or if there are any plans for a meet up.  I'm local so will head up on Friday.  Look forward to meeting you!  Best of luck! 

• Options
    edited July 26, 2018 8:26PM
    Good plan.

Given you are relatively new to power, have a max HR ceiling to reference along with those power numbers.  If conditions change and you're are bumping up against that ceiling HR, come off of those power numbers as needed and save those matches for the run.  You have a great run weapon, protect it.

That said, if you are competing for top 10 AG, you will need to be on the edge of that line most of the way.

What is the overall IF you are marching towards on the bike?  .83, .84?

Having already achieved a sub 5:00 HIM, you're not a novice.  Just remember, the bike is 50% of this rodeo.  You're going to have to bike well, low V.I. then run strong ramping as you lay out above. 

You can prob get away with a 145 max HR ceiling on miles 1-3 of run considering your bike HR targets. Forget about the HR after passing mile 10 of the run.  During an HIM, the last 5K is an all-out race.

HIM is a different feeling compared to an IM.  Having done 30+ HIMs and 9 IMs I can say that the HIM run is just intense PAIN on the back half. vs. an IM run which is more like someone  tied me up in a potato bag, then rolled me under a bus, a slow, sluggish, dull pain.

Good luck and KMF!
  • Options

@Shaugn Simmons thank you for the advice! 

I've always been a 'qualitative' triathlete - racing on RPE and bike speed/pace; this is the first season where I'm using data like power & HR to look for quantitative improvements and have much to learn.  I like the idea of a HR cap on bike but not sure where to put that.  Am thinking based on training 150BPM is reasonable for me.  (?)

I did 2 race rehearsals (on local roads w/ terrain & hills that simulate Santa Rosa course) and also a course recon. I've attached results as PDF, including Power & HR stats.  I tried to apply the EN process, but still wondering if my training results follow to the race plan?  Also, without getting bogged down in analysis paralysis, would be interested in what other info I should be tracking that would help.  (I have Garmin Edge 1000, Vector 3 pedals, HRM with all the new vertical oscillation info, etc & Garmin 920XT so already have more data in Garmin & Strava than I know what to do with!)

My FTP tests have me around 230W, which would be an IF of 0.83 if I execute as planned.  Although it's an option, I don't plan to watch IF on my bike computer.  I have Avg Power, Lap Power, Speed, Temp, RPM, Avg HR & Current HR which I will be watching.  (I plan to use the Lap at a couple of spots on the course where I want to push a little, like the downslope of Chalk Hill Road).  I have Average Speed which I will be monitoring, but plan to let that goal go depending on conditions and what the HR does.

Thanks again for taking the time to read & for the insights!