Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Need childcare for Kona 2019 on the Big Island? :)

I won a bet with my husband (well I'm about to), and my reward is I get to plan a family trip in 2019 anywhere, anytime.  So we are going to Kona to volunteer and participate in all that the Ironman World Championship has to offer.

I know what it's like to race with kids - I have a 5 and 2 year old.  And it's hard.  I had a 'run great idea' today - I bet there is a family out there, going to Kona next year, or hoping to, that could use some help with their kids.  So why not combine forces?  My husband and I will be there with our two kids.  We are well versed in triathlon and know how to keep kids safe (and entertained) spectating for an entire Ironman event.  We know what is required to rest before and can honor any of those requests.  We could even find a place (with two levels?) for both families to stay together (Easier for race day) and save some money.  And if there is a partner not racing, they can actually enjoy the race without the kids for part of the day.

I totally get that this is a crazy idea.  My husband said noone will respond - but I would - so here's throwing it out there.  We're going either way, but I thought it would be great fun to join forces with another family.   It takes a village. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I will be there in 2019, most likely with an adult son.  I think Hawaii ranks near the  bottom of IM locations my wife wants to attend.  But you have a great idea and hopefully you can link up with an EN family.  Meanwhile I look forward to seeing you there.
  • Options
     @Paul Hough  It will be so great to see you there!!  Are you racing?  
  • Options
    @Leslie Sedlak - I have a Legacy slot for Oct 2019...by then it will be IM#15 or 16.  I would say I will be participating, rather than "racing"!  I'm going to follow the Rich Strauss plan in his last race there.  After that, I'm going to semi-retire from full distance, at least for two years.  Then when I age up to M65, I'll think hard about whether I want to do one more ironman.