Home General Training Discussions
Options

70.3 Wk 19/20 Workouts - confusing - thoughts?

Racing Boulder 70.3 next Sat - So adjusted this last week of training back a day to reflect a Sat race.  Just learning Final Surge, so maybe I screwed something up, but did my ride/run yesterday and the notes said today (Sunday) was a day off.  But the workout today shows 1:00 run AND day off.  Then Monday I show a swim (scheduled for Mon) and moved the bike and run to Monday as well.  Will skip the Swim and do the bike/run.  But then the run on Tuesday is the exact same run.  I am unable to just look back at the 'old' view in my EN training plan to see what I screwed up.  And not sure if I adjust it in Final Surge (reload my plan) if I'll look all my recorded workouts?

Thoughts on how to do that, or what the wk 19/20 workouts are supposed to be for 70.3 taper?  More importantly, do I run today or rest??  We are driving all day on Wed MN to CO, then quick ride/run on Thursday, and recon swim Friday.  Just need to figure out the best plan until Wednesday.  I do like my rest taper :)

Comments

• Options
    Hi Leslie, I'm in a similar place in my training but I have not moved over to final surge. So I might be able to help. It sounds like you want to know what week 20 is since you are in week 20.

I can copy and paste what the week 20 plan is in the older, non-final surge view (see below). But it also shows the replicate run on Tuesday and Wednesday. I assume this is a typo ( @Coach Patrick )? My guess would be to swim and bike as the "Tuesday" workout (Monday/today for you), and do the run as "Wednesday" (Tuesday for you).

In my view of week 19/20, there is NOT a 1 hour run on Sunday or Monday. I would discourage you from doing a 1 hour run in week 20.

In general, it is better to over-rest than under rest in week 20.

Monday of week 20 70.3 (this is not adjusted for Saturday race, but you can adjust accordingly):
    If your race is on a Saturday drop the monday workout and move the rest of the week forward by a day. 
    Coach Notes: 
    Do your best to follow the workouts as listed, but REMEMBER your focus is on getting to your race rested and ready, these last few workouts are just to keep you sane.
    45 min 
    Swim: Skill
    Choose Your Ability Level:  
    • Level 1: OPTIONAL SWIM
    • Level 2: Get To Work!
    • Level 3: Get To Work!
    Swim: Taper
    • Level 1 & Level 2: Entire Swim
    • Level 3: Option to add yards to hit your weekly swim goals.
    WU: 300, include Swim Golf. 
    MS1: 10 x 150 (30") as 100 @ race pace, counting strokes and focused on form, 50 easy. 
    Total: 2000 
    Coach Notes: 
    The goal here is to stay sharp. If another day of rest is required, then drop this session. L3 athletes can add more swim time here if needed.

Tuesday:
    45 min 
    All Abilities:  
    WU: 500, include Swim Golf. 
    MS1: 10 x 100 (20") as 100 @ race pace, counting strokes and focused on form, 50 easy. 
    MS2: 8 x 25 (15") as odds Sprint, evens Easy. 
    CD: 200. 
    Total: 1900 
    Coach Notes: 
    OPTIONAL SWIM, if you can fit this in given race week travel schedule.
    60 min 
    Bike: Threshold
    • Level 1: TSS 59; IF 0.77
      WU: 15' Easy, include 3-4 x 30 SpinUps. 
      MS: 4 x 8' (2') @ 75-80%/Zone2 to 3/Steady to Mod-Hard. 
      WD: 10' Easy.
    • Level 2: TSS 59; IF 0.77
    • Level 3: TSS 59; IF 0.77
    Remainder of time at Zone 3. (I think this is a typo and I would skip this run)
    30 min 
    MS: 3 x 3' (1') @ Zone 3. Remainder @ Zone 2, just as you will run on race day. Finish with 4 to 6 stride repeats. 
    Coach Notes: 
    30 minutes if done as a brick workout; if done as a separate session do up to 45 minutes.

Wednesday:

30 min 
    MS: 3 x 3' (1') @ Zone 3. Remainder @ Zone 2, just as you will run on race day. Finish with 4 to 6 stride repeats. 
    Coach Notes: 
    Easy run with some sharpening efforts; don't work too hard!

Thursday:
    Course Recon:
    Ride up to, but no more than 30 miles of the bike course. Drive out to where the critical section(s) is located in your car, then get to riding. Note that you must ride at goal race effort/watts. Be very careful to not blow your energy. The goal here is to get an understanding of how effort/watts of X feels on this particular hill; how fast you can take the corner here, etc. This all goes into your memory banks for race day! 
    Coach Notes: 
    Recon Ride of Critical Sections of Bike Course, CUT SHORT if you are fatigued or course not conducive/safe for recon.
    30 min 
    All Abilities  
    WU: 300, include Swim Golf. 
    MS1: 6 x 150 (30") as 100 @ race pace, counting strokes and focused on form, 50 easy. Set Total: 900. 
    MS2: 8 x 25 (15") as odds Sprint, evens Easy. Set Total: 200
    CD: 200
    Total: 1600 
    Coach Notes: 
    Pick three technique items that are working for you OR that you need to work on. Write these down and then insert each of them into a portion of this workout. For example, _here_ I'm going to focus on X, _there_ I'm going to focus on Y, etc.

Friday:

30 min 
    Recon Swim at Race Venue 
    Swim no more than 30' total. Count strokes, focus on form, practice head lift, get your navigation markers, and think happy, confident, and smoooooth thoughts! Do at race start time to note environmental variables such as position of the sun, likely temperature, etc. 
    30 min 
    Last minute spin to make sure race set up is all dialed in. 
    Coach Notes: 
    Optional, only if you have a SUNDAY race.
    30 min 
    WU: 15' @ TRP, 6 x 30" strides. 
    MS: 3 x 2' (1') @ Zone 3. 
    Coach Notes: 
    30 minutes if done as a brick workout; if done as a separate session do up to 45 minutes.

Saturday
    0 min 
    Check in day.only work out if you are going crazy, otherwise feet go up! 
    Coach Notes: 
    Check In Day!!!
    0 min 
    Carb it up. Rest it up. Dial in your mental game! 
    Coach Notes: 
    Race Day is almost here!
  • Options
    @Larry Peters  Thank you SO MUCH for that - I really needed that!  I skipped yesterday's run - and focused on getting the kids packed for the trip and started getting my tri bag together.  And I napped instead of running :)  Much better use of my time since I had a late hot date night out on Saturday :)

Can't wait for Boulder!!!
  • Options
    Happy I could help @Leslie Sedlak ! Have a ton of fun in Boulder!