Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Derrek Sanks IM Lake Placid Race Report

Wow, a Kona slot? Me? I’m still trying to wrap my head around that! Lots of mixed emotions. I’ll admit that I had a super-secret goal to KQ (don’t a lot of us?) but decided to only focus on what I can control…to do my best swim, bike, run and see what happens. I achieved my process goals and hit one of my time goals. Race plan is here.

I want to especially thank @Paul Curtin for his advice and support over the last several months. After we raced IM Louisville last year, he said it would be nice to race with me again in Kona and that it was possible. Also, a big thanks to @Coach Patrick for sharing his knowledge and the EN Team who provided great feedback, motivation and encouragement on my race plan. To the EN teammates racing and cheering (and taking pictures), it was fun meeting and sharing the course with you; thanks for all the mojo before and during the race!

Here’s how my race unfolded in my age group according to the trackers.

Swim - 1:14, 77th position
T1 -      5:26, 47th position, 9th fastest
Bike –  6:03, 20th position, 19th fastest
T2 –     2:59, 20th position, 5th fastest
Run –  3:43, 8th position, 5th fastest 

Race Morning:

I had no problems falling asleep the night before and slept well. I woke up at 3:30 and breakfast consisted of oatmeal, banana, Naked Juice (about 550 calories) and I started drinking Skratch Hydration Wellness. I was out of the room by 4:45, completed transition set up/body marking by 5:30 and went back to my room to use the bathroom. Then, I caught up with EN peeps for the photo, wished everyone a great race and off we went to the swim start. At 6:15, I took 3 Bloks and did a 10 min warm up swim with several fast, short efforts to elevate my heart rate. I quickly realized I should warm up earlier as I had to fight the crowds to get towards the front of the 1:11 – 1:20 group. The start area was very narrow with fencing on both sides and I was starting to get frustrated thinking I might get stuck in the 1:50 corral. Eventually, I made it with 8 mins before the 6:40 start giving me time to chill and engage in some conversation.  

Swim: Goal 1:10 – 1:15; Actual 1:14  73rd AG. Garmin said I had 1:38/yd pace for 4,550 yards

I decided against going for the underwater cable and went far left of the buoy line. I had a good start using the mantra “calm and smooth” to keep away any anxiety and starting too fast. (Thanks for the tip @Mike Roberts ). After about 100 yards, I was feeling good and started to race. I think the swim warm up really helped me get off to a good start without feeling out of breath. I had some contact off and on the first half mile but nothing brutal. Throughout the swim, I kept reminding myself to swim as fast as I can maintain form…to swim outside my comfort zone. These reminders kept me present and focused. I was feeling good and decided to get on the underwater cable on the return leg of the second lap. As I figured, by that time it had slightly thinned out and had mild contact/bumping. I had to swim around several swimmers but nothing that really slowed me down. I sighted less but still had to sight about every 20 strokes to make sure I didn’t swim up on slower swimmers. Swimming on the cable with several others was very engaging, not at all boring, which made the time pass a lot faster than swimming alone. I think I’ll be ready to start on the cable if there’s a next time.

T1: 5:26. I felt great coming out of the water and had a much faster than usual run to TA. After putting on my bike shoes, I realized my feet were covered with sand but decided to press on. I had a small towel with me but forgot to wipe my feet. It took several miles to get used to the sand and figured I would stop only if it started causing pain. After a couple hours I forgot all about it.

Bike: Goal, 5:45 – 6:00; Actual, 6:03. Stats: .72 IF, 187 NP, 1.07 VI, 317 TSS, Avg HR 132

I can honestly say I could not have gone any faster on this course. I executed as I planned…ride the first loop more aggressively and keep pressing if felt good. At the start my HR was 150 and it took ~25 mins to get my HR below 130. I JRA/rode easy through the Keene decent and after the left turn onto 9N, I was ready to race. I pushed watts to my upper limits on the flats and descents and took it easy up the climbs trying not to spike my watts. There were many sections to find speed throughout this course and I tried to take advantage of each one by carrying speed into the next ascent. When I wasn’t going uphill, I was having a good time going fast. Around mile 90, I started to get concerned my legs were more fatigued than I wanted, so at mile 100 I decided to back off slightly and increase my cadence to ready for the run.

Nutrition plan worked well as energy levels were good throughout the ride. I had 2.5 bottles of GE the first hour and ~1.5 - 2 bottles/hr thereafter. One salt cap every hour and one 2nd Surge caffeinated Gel at hours 2, 4 and 5.5. I peed at least 4-5 times.

T2: 2:59. Right after my dismount I saw @Francis Picard right behind me and he zoomed by. Uneventful transition. A great volunteer took care of packing my bag while I put on my shoes. I grabbed my bottle of Skratch Wellness and headed out at an easy pace.

Run: Goal, 3:30; Actual, 3:43. Avg HR 138, Avg Pace 8:33

Francis and I came out of T2 and ran together the first 2-3 miles. That was the best part of my run! I made a porta stop around mile 3 and lost sight of him. This run was very different from previous races. Usually my first 12-14 miles are enjoyable, all smiles with little mental effort to run TRP and keep a great attitude. This time it was the opposite after the first couple miles…there were no smiles. It took a lot of mental energy to run. Many times I wanted to take a break and walk but I was determined to only walk 10-15 steps at the aid stations. My HR was in a good place (mid 130s) due to the net downhill in the first 6 miles but my pace might have been a little too fast. I walked every aid station (except 2) drinking water or GE. I took 2 salt caps an hour and 3 Bloks every ~30 mins the first half. On the second loop, Coach P advised to start drinking coke, so that’s what I did until I started burping it up. Then I took coke every other aid station. Energy levels were good but my body started to crash around mile 21 and pace and HR dropped. Muscle cramps started up on my right and left upper inner thighs and I ran at a pace that held off the cramps. It was on the second loop I noticed I started passing folks in my AG but didn’t know if they were on their first or second loop, so I assumed it was their second. Many were walking but the ones running I made sure I made a confident pass. Another highlight was running with the 2nd place female Pro, Jen Annett. Well, we actually ran together about a quarter mile then mostly we were leap frogging for a few miles. I would pass her on inclines or during an aid station, then she would pass me on flats/descents. She walked every aid station. Of course she was on her second loop and I on my first. This made me realize the Pros suffer just as much, if not more, as age groupers. I also saw the 1st place AG male on his second loop.

The second best part was making the right turn toward the Olympic oval. I took a quick look behind me and saw I’d enjoy the finish chute by myself. Once again it was a great feeling crossing the finish line.

Take Aways:

-       Very happy with my race. I couldn’t have gone faster on the bike and run but think I think I left a few minutes out there on the swim, other than the additional 300 yds I swam according to Garmin.

-       This was the first time I went outside my comfort zone in all 3 legs.

-       This was my fastest non-river swim

-       This was the first time after the race I didn’t wonder “what if I went harder on the bike”

-       This has been a great season of training from getting initiated into Zwift racing, to epic rides in Mallorca with great teammates and capping it off with an outstanding A race and getting a slot to Kona!

Thanks for reading! 

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks   Hardwork, fitness, execution, and effort , earned you a slot to KONA, congratulations on what you deserve.  I was out of my comfort zone for the entire race, that is where the magic happens:-). To be able to look back and say I honestly dont think I could have gone any faster (minus the swim cause well we always have to leave something to work on) is racing and a huge win!

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks
    I had a great time last week. During the week, you positive demeanor helped to keep everyone around you calm. The morning of the race seeing you was a great reminder to hold fast to the plan. When I saw you on the bike you looked so strong I knew you were going to have a great day. Your pace up the hill was impressive. Like you, I also felt I could go no harder on the bike without suffering big consequences. I remember our conversation at the finish where you said the run hurt the entire way. All I can say is I wish I looked like that when I was in pain. I definitely can't run like that in pain. I am impressed with your KQ but, I am not surprised. You have been so totally focused in your training, this was the inevitable results. I can't wait to race with you again. I will definitely be cheering you on in October.
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks
    Congratulations! Super stoked for you! I bet you have another take away about your ability to "stay present" and your "mental energy" in there too.....A new combination of process focus, reading your body/data and some determination mixed in there. 

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks good job on pushing yourself in the bike and run. Riding that line between getting it done and almost too much only comes with experience. And you did it, hoping I can spend some time in that “magical space” this year as well. Keep that mental and physical toughness in the bank for Kona! Congratulations
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks I couldn't be more excited for you to earn that KQ.  It was great to meet you and see you on the run course, when you ran by me.  You put together a great race.  Congrats.
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks  How cool is this.... KQ and you went outside your comfort zone to earn it. Congratulations!! 

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks Well done showing Patience and Discipline and staying out of your comfort zone and racing to your potential!   You controlled everything you could control and had an awesome race!  Enjoy your very well deserved trip to the big island!

• Options
    Terrific race plan & execution @Derrek Sanks!  You looked so strong on both the bike and run!  HUGE CONGRATS on KQ!
  • Options
    I love it when it all comes together: consistent training, attention to detail in planning and execution --- the result then seems foreordained. But as you know, it's all the little things you've done over the past 3-4 years, along with commitment and perseverance, that put you in a place where you could take advantage of your skill and snag that slot.

As Tim noted, the most fundamental new thing you did on this day: "This was the first time I went outside my comfort zone in all 3 legs." Thats called racing, and 98% of the folks out there are not doing that, they are surviving. You reaped the reward of never letting up.
  • Options
    Great race @Derrek Sanks.  I love watching all you runners mow down the field after getting off the bike.  Congrats on your KQ.  I am curious if you had planned a bike TSS of 317 or if it just happened under the conditions / feeling good?  
  • Options
    @tim cronk - That's one of my favorite pictures and it's so true. Like you said, we capable of so much more than we think. Thanks for your words!

@Edwin Croucher - Thanks for your kind words and we definitely have to race together again!

@Matt limbert - Very true. Yes, Determination (and belief) were mixed in there. Thanks! I'll see you in October.

@Josh Church - Thank you. You won't know where that line is until you go there, you have to want to go there and believe you can smartly push beyond what you think you're capable of doing. (Not my words). Something tells me you're going to crush Chattanooga this year!

@Gary Lewis Thanks. It was great sharing the course with you. Hope to do it again.

@Sheila Leard Thanks and I appreciate all the nutritional knowledge you share.

• Options
    @John Withrow, @Rory Gumina - Thanks for the kind words!

@Al Truscott - You are so right. In my past IMs I was surviving the swim and bike to get to the run. LOL. Thanks for the kind words and comments on my race plan.

@Jeff Horn  - Thanks! I didn't target a specific TSS because I felt that was putting me in too small of a box. My execution plan for the bike had lower and upper NP ranges (.70 - .75 IF). It's a wide range and I knew the lower range would give me ~280-290 TSS and the upper range ~320-330 TSS. I was prepared to accept any TSS in that range. I ended up close to the middle of my range. 

• Options
    @Derrek Sanks You are the IMLP poster child for perfect race execution! Race day always throws tough things at us, especially this race this year. You were an execution ninja and were rewarded with a KQ! Congrats and well done!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks - as I've stated elsewhere, I've stalked you all year. Your consistency of training was what got you to race day healthy and ready to have the race of your life! Congrats on having learned the execution and having some fun in Mallorca along the way. 
    speaking of consistency, any way we can get you to post your PMC chart? I'd love to see what it looks like from a week after IMKY through now. 

Congrats & enjoy IMKONA!
  • Options
    Thank you @Alicia Chase !!

@Scott Dinhofer - Again, Thanks. I'll try to post the PMC shortly.
  • Options
    Derrek,

Congrats again.  So very happy for you.  77th after the swim to 8th overall?  I told you you're a nightmare for our AG.  

You executed so well.  The difference between your Raleigh and LP swims . . . night and day.  Bike looked pretty steady watts.  And your run, as expected, was a thing of beauty.  So glad you ran steady HR in the mid- to high-130's and didn't have to go to the 150's like you threatened to do in your plan.  Looks like you walked many of the aid stations and otherwise kept a steady HR throughout - a perfect Cronk run.

I told you our numbers are pretty similar, and your 3:43 at 138 avg bpm looks awfully similar to my 3:43 at 139 avg bpm last year.  Of course, with better weather like we had last year, you would have gone sub-3:30 this year.

The awesome news is, you qualified!  Now the bad news . . . you have to race in Kona.  :smiley:  And I, for one, cannot wait to watch you race.  I'm sure some even older vets can chime in if I'm way off, but Kona this year has the potential to be one of the most epic EN male smack-downs ever.  Have we ever assembled a line-up like this (I apologize to those I've surely omitted)?

@Coach Patrick
    @JeremyBehler
    @Rob Mohr
    @matt limbert
    @Donnacha Holmes
    @Dave Tallo
    @Paul Curtin
    @Tom Glynn
    @Derrek Sanks

Shoot, it'll probably take sub-10 hours to place top half EN.  If someone sets up the office pool, I'm in.

Again, Derrek, spectacular job.  See you in 10 weeks.

MR
  • Options
    @Mike Roberts - We're practically twins! LOL. Thanks a ton for your comments, race plan advice and sharing your knowledge while we were in Mallorca!
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2018 8:12PM
    @Scott Dinhofer - I added events for reference points.

• Options
    Big congrats @Derrek Sanks on your KQ! you had an incredible race and big kudos for finding your racing self and racing to your potential! See you in kona and looking forward to meeting you and the EN guys. 
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks Congrats on the Kona slot.  It was fun to watch your execution on race day from the tracker picking off people all day in your AG. 
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks

I have watched you go from IM novice to KQ and observed the intense training, giving back to the team, humility and leadership you have presented along the way.  Very well deserved.  You make EN a stronger team.  

Congratulations Ironman!

SS
  • Options
    @Donnacha Holmes Thank you. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well!

@Gordon Cherwoniak Thanks for the kind words.

@Shaughn Simmons - You've done more than watched. Starting with my first OS in 2015, through the Forums and Strava, you've encouraged, motivated and provided lots of advice and leadership! Thank you and thanks for the nice comments. 
  • Options
    Awesome @Derrek Sanks. Huge congratulations!  I love how you stayed within your plan but still were uncomfortable in swim bike and run. It's very easy to stay in the comfort zone in at least one of those.  Have a great time in Kona!  
  • Options
    Derrek
    Congratulations!  It is great to see your hard work translate into a KQ result.  I was watching on the tracker and enjoyed watching you devour the run! I have enjoyed being Strava buddies with you and will definitely be cheering you on in October!  
  • Options
    @Scott Liston - Thank you! Like you mentioned, Strava really helped my bike training. Hope to catch you on some Strava rides this winter.