Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Justin Gray Official Coach Thread

@justin gray

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Great to have you on the Team! I am excited to connect with you for our call (https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min) and learn more about your fitness / goals. 

In the meantime, I have uploaded the plans into your Final Surge account according to the schedule ^above^ . With just 5-ish weeks to go to race day, we have a chance to build on your current fitness and add some race execution guidance (read here). 

Please sync your strava or garmin with Final Surge so your workouts start coming in (here) and I can get to coaching!

Coach Homework

1. Post a picture of you on the bike!

2. Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now? 

Your Notes

First year of competing in triathlon. Coming from athletic background for past 25 years. Most recently six years of Crossfit. Competed in six cycling events this year, 2- crit, 2- time trial, 1 road race, 1 three day stage race. As for triathlons, 2 olympics under 2hrs 50min and just completed ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa in 5hrs 10 min without swim. (Was canceled due to fog). I also went through a 24 week build phase at the beginning of the year to prepare for the season. Currently swimming 3-4 days a week, which is my strongest discipline, anywhere from 1600m- 3000m. 

Biking 3 days a week, 1 day of intervals, 1 long ride of 2-3hrs, 1 ride 1-1.5 hrs on trainer with intervals of high intensity. 

Running 3-4 days a week, 1 interval, 1 race tempo, 1 long around 1.5 hrs and 1 brick run short

Strength training 3 days a week. ( I'm a strength and conditioning coach for UFC so I have easy access to gym a the time)

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz (2018-09-09) #703SantaCruz_18

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on August 1, 2018
  • Load the Bike Focused 2018 EN*Half plan to end on 9/9/2018
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 09/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/21/2018
  • Connect with Coach for more Info / summit a new Roadmap

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?

Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.

Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.  

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Okay, here are our call notes from 8/14...sorry for the delay on this!

Overall

Priorities should be around nutrition and pacing.
    • Nutrition: Practice drinking 1 bottle every 45 minutes, even indoors. Your 3 bottles should get you through 2:15, so only one stop outside might be required. If you drink a bottle within the 15 minutes before you leave (and refill), you should be able to make the bottles on your bike last a bit longer. 
    • Pacing: Not worried about your speed, but rather your Heart Rate. We want to make sure you are tracking your data (connecting your Garmin to Final Surge!) so we can make some informed decisions about pacing for your race. Ideally your longer rides have a gradually building HR (as you dehydrate and fatigue, also known as "decoupling" as it goes up even for the same effort over time).   

Swimming: Three times a week is good for your technique; it's not the biggest priority at this point so feel free to cut a swim as needed to rest or get in a bike or run. 

Biking: Indoors during the week, and you can even do the Sunday ride indoors as well if need be...both cases a Zwift race will do the trick. Even for Sunday you could do a warm up (30'), race (45') and then tempo on your own for another hour to hour and a half = done! 

Your one long ride of the week (Sat?) should be outside and you should focus on aerobar time an nutrition. I am not worried about you riding hard in this workout. 

Running: After the long run, the frequency is the most important thing. Even a daily 15' run matters...if that's something you can work in as a warm up for you strength sessions, or a client session, that's a win. When we are mid-season we'll do more intensity and threshold work, but at this point I am not concerned about it (you can dial that or any of similar session down as needed).  

Strength Sessions: You already have the "priority" labels in your head. I trust your instincts here. If you told me that your kid was sick and you were slammed at work and you got in 1 long run, and 2-3 short hard bikes in a week...with your regular "job" happening during the day...you'd be just fine for a week or two. 

Learning, be sure to dial in on the GroupMe...they are friendly, I swear, and if you have the app you can mute it until you need it.  The Forums are great too and you can check out some of the Race Reports (or just search in that forum). 

And let's check in for early September, you can set up a call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Onwards!

~ Coach P
  • Options

@justingray

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!).

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness:
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support?
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out.

You have several options:

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

~ Team EN

• Options

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory, 2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 2
    • Bike Fitness: 1
    • Run Fitness: 1
    • Weight / Body Composition: 2 ( currently 170 @ 12% bf)

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far? Running ( went from being intimidated by the run to running race pace consistently at IM Santa Cruz)
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? Continued Run progression as well as with bike
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Definitely. In my first year of searching best overall plan I've found by far

• Options

Evening Coach Patrick,

Just checking in after the weekend and our call last week. Last week you had mentioned giving you the dates of my events next year because it may effect our off season.

Next years races:

oceanside 70.3 April 6, 2019 ( tune up race, no particular goals just run or bike better, practice transitions)

kona 70.3 June 1, 2019 ( A race for the 70.3 distance)

arizona or Cozumel Full early November, (A race of the year, no time goal just complete and be happy with performance)

I'd like to continue doing strength work three times a week through off season if possible.

Thanks for your time Justin

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 4:59PM

@Justin Gray Thanks for checking in!!! Ok, here's what I am thinking for you re next year...

• On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  10/14/2018
    • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/11/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  02/03/2019
    • On 2/4/2019 Load the Intermediate EN*Half Bike Focused to end on  04/07/2019
    • On 4/8/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  04/21/2019
    • On 4/14/2019 Load the Advanced EN*Half Run Focused to end on  6/2/2019
    • On 6/3/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on  06/16/2019

So a bit more chill before you load RDP one on Monday...You can totally lift 3x a week in the RDP...we'll need to connect come the OutSeason®  to see what's the priority and best option!

If you need help loaDing plans, here is a video:

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

@Justin Gray

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation!

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella.

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal.
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space.
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point.
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track.
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change.
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over.

Key components of your final push should include:

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary.
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know!

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page.

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season.

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started.

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

@Justin Gray

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Holy FTP GAINZ Batman! Pumped for where you are at already...here's what I am thinking WRT to Oceanside I think that you should go full 12 week HIM plan to that race (it's a beeeeaaaaatttttch) and then we'll recover and focus more on Speed and Bike mid-year (with some fun stuff as you pick it up) before IMAZ (Team race this year).

Since your volume is up, this shouldn't be that "hard" for you to do, but there will likely be some friction...so let me know what the pain points are and we can sort them out here in the forums ASAP!

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Oceanside (2019-04-07) #70.3Oceanside_19
    • Ironman Arizona (2019-11-24) #IMAZ_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 1/16/2019
    • On 1/14/2019 Load the Intermediate EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 04/07/2019
    • On 4/8/2019 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 04/21/2019
    • On 4/14/2019 Load the Advanced Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 6/22/2019
    • On 6/23/2019 Load the Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 08/03/2019
    • On 8/4/2019 Load the EN Full Bike Focused to end on 11/17/2019
    • On 11/18/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/15/2019
    • On 12/16/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/12/2020

Your Notes

Last race : ironman Santa Cruz 70.3

In 5 hrs 50min

Ended season at a 208watts ftp

And half marathon at 1:50

As of now bike ftp at 225

And tested half marathon at 1:46 and was paced. Swimming 2x a week at 5-6k total

Bike 4x a week at about 90 miles

Run 4-5x a week around 18-23 miles a week.

Strength training 3x a week at 3hrs

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Sounds Good Coach, looking forward to the challenge. Will load the new plan asap. Just as a heads up I do have a 30k cross country ski race first weekend of march and a 50k trail run for charity on the following weekend, but these are not priorities, more like bucket list events. No set time goals, just to the best of my abilities. Only bring it up because most of my runs especially my long runs will be trail runs up to that point. Thanks

• Options

@Justin Gray sounds good. I was in both of those weekends that should be your only event. You may want to get on the bike to spin the legs out after both just to help your return to activity.

There’s no actual rush there as those events are complementary with what you’re trying to achieve for your year. If I had anything to say, I just want you to be safe on those trail runs!

Oh, And please post some pictures either here or to our social channels so we can follow your adventures!