Home General Training Discussions
Options

Final RR Issues

looking for some guidance WSM!
Long story short, gotta work the week/weekend of my final RR. I’m taking off race week so no luck with getting the RR weekend off. 

So what’s the next best option? 
Can I do my final 2.4, 112, 6 mile run on Tuesday? If I can work out something and get off Sunday night I could do the RR Monday. 

I know this is not ideal, neither is my race build actually, but it’s what I got to work with. 
Will and day or two later really leave me not able to taper enough?

Comments

• Options
    In my experience, postponing the final rr by a day or two has never been a problem, nor caused downstream difficulties that ultimately affected feeling rested on the day of the race.   
  • Options
    Thanks @Dave Tallo hope I have a similar experience as you then! 
  • Options
    Agreed, you should be fine.  However, there are a couple of areas to watch.  If it's Tuesday of Week 19, you'd be pushing that WKO back 3 days.  So something else has to give that week.  On my plan, the Thursday of Week 19 has an 80-minute run.  Either shorten Tuesday's run or shift Thursday's run to Friday

Also, watch your training stress balance as you have 3 fewer days to get to your ideal number.  At your age it honestly shouldn't be an issue, but don't be afraid to drop/shorten workouts to keep your TSB in line

Also Josh ... did you modify your WKOs to plan for all 3 in one day?  My plan shows the Week 18 RR as swim Friday, bike 112/run 6 Saturday, and bike ABP Sunday
  • Options
    @Paul Curtin thanks for bringing that to light. Yes probably a good idea to shorten the run, I would probably move the long run to Friday and make it just 60’ also.  I enjoy taper and understand the work is done so I don’t usually go chasing extra fitness after final RR. 

I did all three last year for final RR so I might follow the same lead up for this year. But if I do the bike and run Tuesday, I will probably swim the Monday evening before.