Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Steelhead 70.3 2018 Race Report - Cheryl Turpin

RACE REPORT FROM IM STEELHEAD 70.3 - Long post

SWIM - 20/48 AG, overall 1240/2185

As an endurance swimmer I never really worry too much about the swim portion of a race yet when we arrived at the beach the morning of the race, it was evident that the swim was going to be survival of the fittest and very technical.  Why?  Well the swells were 4 feet tall with wind patterns that changed 3 times during the swim...cross current switching from right to left to head on.

As the water temp was 76.2, it was wetsuit optional. This meant all those who wanted awards went no wetsuit or skinsuit....I went with the sleeveless wetsuit as I have swum in water similar and knew additional flotation helps to ride the crest of the waves and swim into the waves.  Breathing not bilateral in these conditions....breathe away from the swell people or you are swallowing tons of water.  I just kept telling myself to keep it relax, don’t fight the waves but go with the. Flow....my mantra was “I am a manatee....” over and over.

Sighting  is very difficult in these conditions, you have to lift your head out of the water as you crest the waves and hope you see the buoy before the next wave all while trying to swim in a somewhat straight Line, if you miss the buoy at the crest, you need to swim through the next wave and hope to catch it.

This swim caused 399 DNFs with rescue craft taking people out of the water and depositing them at the beach like it was a drive through.  There were people hanging off rafts, kayaks, buoys, etc. I have never seen anything like it in all my years of swimming.  For those who made it, 95 percent added a min 10 min to their normal times....go look at the numbers ....there where that 10% of swimmers who swam freakishly fast but I don’t know how.  

To cap it off....400m run in the sand to the asphalt of transition.....

I normally swim a relaxed 40 and my time was 54 min as I swam 2075 not 1900m.....I’m fine with that as it was beyond my contol

THE BIKE 3:12, 15/48 AG, Overall 1258/2185

Excellent bike, fast with hills and rollers but more like inclines...not hills.  Loved it and the scenery. Crowded though and open course.

THE RUN  2:57 , 18/48 AG, OVerall 1381/2185

The run was hot and humid but I was ready to use everything I learned at my last 70.3 where it was 98F all race.  Cooling towel, bag to hold ice, running vest with my own electrolyte drink...unfortunately my salt fell out on the very first mile of the course and I had to have a handful of salty chips at each aid station.  They went well with the coke I drank at every station....the whole course had ice etc....great!  Not a lot of shade and 2 monster hills to run which I walked.  All in all I pretty  much ran the whole course as I used my 30 second walk when I felt my heart rate spiking from the heat....have to be smart and go slower to avoid the med tent...lots of pukers and people passing out from dehydration.  Not me!

Overall when I am faced with conditions beyond my control, course management wins over any PB shot.  As everyone is in the same hurt locker, placement in AG and Overall are my best indicators to my race performance not finish time!

I had a great weekend meeting all the women I train on the bike with all winter via virtual means.  Also meeting all other EN racers was fabulous.  Brenda Ross, thanks for being a great training partner, roommate and having excellent taste in restaurants for our EN lunch.

This race moves to June 30 in 2019 to make way for Traverse a City in mid August 2019.

So there you have it!  Rest week and on to Marathon Training for my Oct 21st Petit du train du Nord Marathon in Mont Tremblant!

Cheryl

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cheryl.  It was great to meet you at the race and to be table buddies at lunch.  You are a funny and engaging woman!  Even if you are from Canada :smile:

It was indeed a challenging race with the water conditions and the heat.  You showed extreme patience and preparation and it shows in your results.  Best wishes for your marathon and I look forward to racing again with you soon!
    Scott
  • Options
    @Scott Liston

It was great to meet you and your lovely wife!  I wish I had seen you at the end of the race to say so in person.  Your race was spectacular ....you slayed it out there....I hope you are pleased with your results.  Have a great rest of your season and I hope to race with you in the near future.

Cheryl
  • Options
    Congratulations on your race in very tough conditions! Excellent job using your experience and wisdom to effectively manage that swim and run. Well done!
  • Options
    @Derrek Sanks

Thanks so much for your kind words.  
  • Options
    Great report! When is the last time you placed higher in the run time than the swim? Kudos to you on your race execution and patience. I hope you have your legs up and are recovering.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2018 3:38PM
    @Coach Patrick

i have never placed higher on the run than the swim....that was the slowest I have swum in my entire Tri career but I’ll take it.  Can’t believe I had a negative split on my run...or I think I did..😂

Here is a little something extra for you to read

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/racing/top-canadians-70-3-steelhead/

• Options
    Great racing and great report!  So glad we finally got to meet face to face!  Huge congrats on a tough day!  xoxo