Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

IRONMAN CANADA 2019 IN MY RADAR ... APPRECIATE INPUT

2019 is my Age Up year (going to 60-64)... and I'm carefully evaluating which should be my "A" race in order to increase my chances to go back to the big island (KQ). Following a bunch of research, analysis and also and importantly considering all variables other than those directly linked to the sport (family dates mostly) on top of my STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES in the sport, I've concluded that:

(a) That race must be in July

(b) the ideal combination is lake swim, somewhat challenging bike (not flat but not extreme elevation) and flat/HOT RUN.

And that's how I got to Canada!!!! (another "finalist" is Austria and still in the radar but staying away from the europeans in my age group I believe is also "ideal").

For those who know me .... what do you think?

For those who don't but know IM Canada .... all your experience, tips, input is highly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Juan Vergara - I like how you think! Given your criteria, then IM Canada sounds like the right choice, although it is possible - despite this year - that it could be a cold run, not a hot run. Austria is more likely to give you the weather conditions you want, but after having my ass handed to me repeatedly all over Europe, I think you are right to pick Canada. :)

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 2:15PM

Juan - IM Canada is a terrific venue, the setting is stunning with a number of amenities for racers and families, and as a destination event in North America, it can't be beat.   I've done it 4 times and will probably treat this as a 'home race' for the foreseeable future.    Buuuut ...

-The course is tough.  I won't even say "honest" ... it's "tough."  I believe the bike has the most elevation of any of the NA full Ironman courses at (?) something like 6500ft.  And it's three loops, with the full overlapping the 70.3 field on the same course.    As one data point, at 4.0 w/kg, I was 35min slower on the bike in Whistler than I was in Louisville.   Not a place you go to set PRs.  

The run is similarly "tough."  not massive climbing, but even on it's own it would be an "honest" marathon.  But after the bike - and both a long time in the saddle and on hills - it can beat you up.    It's certainly not flat.   On the plus side, it's very scenic, mostly shaded, well-supported and spectator-friendly.   Also two loops, so there's never a chance of being alone, but I didn't find it crowded.   

The swim is great. big, cool, clear lake water.  Seeded start. 

Hope this helps!  

• Options
    Hi Dave ..... it looks like your message went out without any text on it .... just @J

Juan M Vergara

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 11:01 AM, Dave Tallo wrote:

|
    |
    Dave Tallo commented on IRONMAN CANADA 2019 IN MY RADAR ... APPRECIATE INPUT

@J
  • Options

@Juan Vergara Last year was my first IM year and I raced Canada and Arizona. The course in Canada is absolutely beautiful but is very challenging. When I raced it, it included the trip to Pemberton which had 40 flat miles; since 2018 Pemberton pulled out so now is a three loop around Whistler with 8,461 ft of elevation. If you are a strong climber and enjoy long steady climbs at 6-7% grade, this is your race. When I raced it was very hot and the number of DNF's was quite high (1 out of 7 did not finished).

The lake was amazing. Super clean water with the right temp.

The run was very beautiful too, even saw a bear on the run but there are some nasty hills that I had to walk (there is 1,000 ft elevation on the run).

Whistler village is amazing. Great stuff for the family, good food, and a great venue overall.

• Options

Random thoughts (the only July IM I have done is Lake Placid.)

• Are your sure you want to give yourself only one chance at KQ? Any way you could do Florianopolis, and then have a back-up overseas in July?

• There may be a difference among races in slots available. With the Baby Boom peaking around 1964, 60-64 is getting to be a larger AG. "When I was your age", there were a few IMs with 2 slots in that AG; others had only one. Worth a little research?

• If only June were an option...Boulder has a much "easier" bike course, and a flatter run, than Whistler. I will be in CO from May 20 onwards - you could get 2 weeks of acclimation ahead of the race, and have a leg up on much of the field.

• I don't know how the time zones work from Sao Paulo, but I think Lake Placid would have the least difference for you, no? Going to Europe or Whistler, you'd need to factor in a few extra days on site to help reset your internal clock, just another of the many small things which go towards giving you the best edge.

• In the end, you should pick the time first, then the location, then consider small things like ease of access, time differential, slots available, any food or cultural issues (though I don't think you have any worries no matter where *you* go on the planet), and last, the course characteristics. You are strong enough and smart enough to train yourself for any conditions, and then execute as needed for whatever the day throws at you.

• Options
    Thanks much for your input Jorge. 

Juan M Vergara

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 2:44 PM, Jorge Duque wrote:

|
    |
    Jorge Duque mentioned you in IRONMAN CANADA 2019 IN MY RADAR ... APPRECIATE INPUT

@Juan Vergara Last year was my first IM year and I raced Canada and Arizona. The course in Canada is absolutely beautiful but is very challenging. When I raced it, it included the trip to Pemberton which had 40 flat miles; since 2018 Pemberton pulled out so now is a three loop around Whistler with 8,461 ft of elevation. If you are a strong climber and enjoy long steady climbs at 6-7% grade, this is your race. When I raced it was very hot and the number of DNF's was quite high (1 out of 7 did not finished).

The lake was amazing. Super clean water with the right temp.

The run was very beautiful too, even saw a bear on the run but there are some nasty hills that I had to walk (there is 1,000 ft elevation on the run).

Whistler village is amazing. Great stuff for the family, good food, and a great venue overall.
  • Options
    Tks Al. Definitely looking at more than one race to pursue KQ. First shot July .... second Oct-Nov (already looking at the options).Regarding number of slots .... where to look for???  there seems to be no info ahead of time other than prior year slot allocation (in fact Canada had 2 in my AG).I looked at Boulder but altitude does not seem to be my strength (unless I spend 4 weeks up there in the clouds and despite your very kind offer .... TKS!!! .... can not afford to be away from home for that long during June).Which is why I picked July (when the kids are off to camp) and two races popped as my best fits: Austria and Whistler. Ruled out Austria .... Definitely want to stay away from the Europeans who tend to be faster in older AG’s In any event .... still in the research phase!!!All input MOST WELCOME,TksJuan

Juan M Vergara

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 3:32 PM, Al Truscott wrote:

|
    |
    Al Truscott commented on IRONMAN CANADA 2019 IN MY RADAR ... APPRECIATE INPUT

Random thoughts (the only July IM I have done is Lake Placid.)

• Are your sure you want to give yourself only one chance at KQ? Any way you could do Florianopolis, and then have a back-up overseas in July?

• There may be a difference among races in slots available. With the Baby Boom peaking around 1964, 60-64 is getting to be a larger AG. "When I was your age", there were a few IMs with 2 slots in that AG; others had only one. Worth a little research?

• If only June were an option...Boulder has a much "easier" bike course, and a flatter run, than Whistler. I will be in CO from May 20 onwards - you could get 2 weeks of acclimation ahead of the race, and have a leg up on much of the field.

• I don't know how the time zones work from Sao Paulo, but I think Lake Placid would have the least difference for you, no? Going to Europe or Whistler, you'd need to factor in a few extra days on site to help reset your internal clock, just another of the many small things which go towards giving you the best edge.

• In the end, you should pick the time first, then the location, then consider small things like ease of access, time differential, slots available, any food or cultural issues (though I don't think you have any worries no matter where *you* go on the planet), and last, the course characteristics. You are strong enough and smart enough to train yourself for any conditions, and then execute as needed for whatever the day throws at you.
  • Options

I’ve raced Whistler 3x, my thoughts on the course in the frame of your preferences:

• Swim: Beautiful. Barring some weird weather thing I’m not sure they come any better. You’ll wanna stop and take photos 1/2 way through.
    • Bike: Certainly not “easy”’ or even moderate. The new course is coming in around 8,500 feet of climbing and a lot of 70.3 traffic to dodge. That being said, if you come in as a patient ninja with a lot of endurance it could play into your hand.
    • Run: Fair but not flat nor particularly epic, IMO.

Also: Whistler is relatively spectator friendly with an entire village (literally) at your fingertips.

Keep us posted!