Homeโ€บ Races & Places ๐Ÿโ›บ
Options

9/16/18 ... is approaching fast!

From the bib list, in addition to myself, the following are registered ...

@Kiersten Lake

@Shannon Ueunten

@Jim Yanoschik

Would be great if we could have a team meal to get acquainted before the race ... I'm really looking forward to this event ... there does not seem to be a lot of wisdom already posted about this race in the forums so if anyone has advice ... please contribute.

Race rehearsal this weekend!

-Marc-

Comments

• Options
    edited August 30, 2018 5:44PM

@Kiersten Lake @shannon Ueunten Have been notified!!!

@Jim Yanoschik Is a long time member but I think he's racing independently this year...such a great guy if you can connect!

• Options

Adding in @Gabe Peterson As he might have info he can share during his taper!

• Options
    edited August 30, 2018 7:38PM

Superfrog is a special race! It was my first 70.3 and I love the connection to the Navy (I served in the Gulf War in the Navy). I did it in 2013 and 2014 before WTC bought it. I've got to imagine they've changed things. It was a small race with a couple hundred athletes when I did it. It seems like the laps on the Strand could get crowded with 1000+ racers.

I dug up my race report from 2014 that may be helpful. My memory is:

1. It can be a crazy challenging swim if the surf is up.
    2. It's a PR-ready bike course. You can pretty much stay aero the entire time except the turnarounds twice per lap. The only climbing is on the overpass.
    3. The run will depend on the tide. If it's a high tide like 2014, then you're running about half the course in soft sand. If it's low tide like 2013, then it will be much faster in the packed sand.

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick for being my overwatch ... I am technically challenged! Great chat today ... always feel better after our talks.

@Gabe Peterson thanks for the RR it really helps ... praying for low surf and low tide! Did you find sand getting into shoes to be an issue during the run? Was temperature uncomfortable to manage on bike or run?

This is is the 40th anniversary of this race so very excited to participate and take it all in ... hope to have a team meal or pic to send to @Mariah Bridges .

Marc

• Options

@Marc Taylor I ran it in road shoes both times and ended up with shoes full of sand. If I did it again, I'd wear a speedy trail shoe like the Hoka Challenger since it is almost entirely off-road. But road shoes will work fine. I recall that my shoes got so much sand in them that my feet would get sandy every time I wore them afterwards. I ended up just using them for yard work.

The temp was comfortable both years. I lived in San Diego for a few years, and the temp is pretty much ideal temperatures 95% of the time. Definitely make sure to apply sunscreen -- you run along the ocean and the reflected rays will cook you.

• Options

Thanks @Gabe Peterson appreciate the details!

• Options

hi there!

I did this race 2 years ago and LOVED it! Itโ€™s inspirational to say the least.

I agree on the swim...it can be challenging, but I thought it was so much fun! Go for the pre-race swim day before and practice charging in to the surf and getting out there.

The bike is basically flat and the little incline on the overpass isnโ€™t too tough. Itโ€™s a fast bike course...depending on the wind along the Strand as well.

The run...well, itโ€™s navy seals baby! Be ready, as they changed the run. It is 4 laps...in mostly sand now. When I did it 2 years ago...it was half in the sand and half in pea gravel! I, for one, am relived the gravel is scratched. You will get sand in your shoes, but I found a good silicone blister powder to help with any sand issues in the shoes. I donโ€™t have any trouble w my Zoot Ultras.

Just know there will be challenges, embrace them and soak in what this race is about. Itโ€™s one of my favorites and for certain one of the most inspirational and challenging courses.

The wearhwr was perfect, but it is true...sunscreen up!

Cheers!

• Options

Marc,

I raced Superfrog in 2016 - is the same course as this year. Here are my thoughts:

-Swim: For me, I break into 4 parts. Surf entry, impact area swimming, open water swimming, and surf return. For the surf entry, I into the surf until I am knee or waist deep - then swimming is faster. Then it is all about timing my duck dive. I size of the surf/breaking wave and dive towards the bottom and just ahead of the white water of the breaking wave (lower is better) letting the surf pass over me. As I come out the other side, I size up the next breaking wave and plan to duck dive (from the swimming position) just before the white water (again lower is better). Now, I would consider this area impact area swimming. This is the area where you will be swimming but still want to duck dive under the approaching waves. Patience is key here. This section may be 2 waves or 6 waves, it will feel like you are not making any progress but, you are. So, it is important to remain patient and calm and keep the pattern of swimming and duck diving under the white water. Don't attempt to swim over or through the white water on the way out. You will waste a bunch of energy and get pushed around.

You will make to the open water swimming, past the white water. This swimming is normal open water swimming. Nothing tricky here. For the return back to the beach you will use the white water and breaking waves to push you to the beach. For the surf return, I look slightly behind me as I breath, to check for the timing of the breaking wave behind me. I just sneak a peek and try to get a sense for my speed and the wave speed. I use that peek to anticipate when the white water/wave will hit me and then use the momentum from the wave to push me to the beach. 1 or 2 waves you can get the hang of it. After once my hand touches the bottom, it is faster to walk/jog in the water than swim.

For the practice swim, give yourself plenty of time and rest between entries. Practicing surf entry and return can be taxing. Especially the first couple of tries.

Bike: Super flat. Southern part has a few turns that will require you slow and re-accelerate depending on bike traffic and congestion. But, that is really a very small part of the course. It is flat, with the biggest incline being a single highway overpass each direction. The wind will be consistent and noticeable but not dramatic.

Run: As Gabe mentioned, it is tide dependent. For Sept 16 - high tide is at 4 AM and low tide at 8:30 AM, with the next high tide at 3:09 PM. So you will have some good packed sand to run on all morning as the tide just went high at 4 and is on its way out until 8:30 and doesn't come back in until 3 PM. The beach is wide and you can expect some packed sand to run on. Overall the course is about 40 (sand) / 60 (road). There is one long continuous sand section each direction (north and south) on sand. The rest is on the road. The sand run is a mix of soft and packed sand. You cross the soft sand as you transition from the road to the sand 200-400 meters, then to packed sand right along the water line - majority of the sand run. (Caveat: There is a little soft sand under the pier - maybe 25- 50 m) Again you need some patience for the soft sand, keep the same effort and just recognize your speed will decrease. Think of it has a riding a hill with EN guidance. Keep your HR and effort the same, just realize your speed will decrease and remain calm. Running harder in soft sand, gives very little return for the energy/HR/power expended. Save that energy/HR/power for the road portion. You will see a lot of folks trying to power away in the sand, but more power doesn't give you any more speed, often you just dig a bigger hole. They will waste a bunch of energy trying to maintain speed in the sand.

Practice transitioning from the road to the soft sand, and packed sand to the soft sand while maintaining the same effort/HR/power. A few short intervals (maybe 5-10 min) you will get the hang of it nothing crazy. Sand running requires a patient mental approach.

It is a cool event. Great for spectators for the swim and the run. For any spectators - it is cool to watch the swim from the pier - you get to a really unique perspective of the athletes swimming out into the the surf. The beach town is nice - it is smaller race - so the transition area is smaller. Good luck. Happy to help or answer any questions.

• Options

@Kiersten Lake I am staying at the Del Coronado and will send out a location and time and if anyone can make it great ... if not we will still be cheering for one another on "the day"!

@matt limbert thanks so much for all the details! Mentally when I am swimming tomorrow I will structure my workout to hit these 4 phases ... there won't be any waves but will visualize while I am in the pool. I spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii this summer and loved the surf and body surfing ... the return sounds like body surfing and timing is key! I hope to hit the practice swim and see what I am s up against.

My training rides here in Kansas have been brutal, long distances with 25-30 mph winds and >95 degrees F so I hope I am ready for the bike.

The run will be the run ... will set my goal to finish it ... will follow the crowd for the track on the sand and manage the soft stuff when it arises. Sounds like the tides will be in our favor if the bike goes well!

My goals for any race are:

1) do my best

2) don't quit

3) have fun

See everyone in about a week!

Marc

• Options

Marc,

I raced Superfrog in 2016 - is the same course as this year. Here are my thoughts:

-Swim: For me, I break into 4 parts. Surf entry, impact area swimming, open water swimming, and surf return. For the surf entry, I into the surf until I am knee or waist deep - then swimming is faster. Then it is all about timing my duck dive. I size of the surf/breaking wave and dive towards the bottom and just ahead of the white water of the breaking wave (lower is better) letting the surf pass over me. As I come out the other side, I size up the next breaking wave and plan to duck dive (from the swimming position) just before the white water (again lower is better). Now, I would consider this area impact area swimming. This is the area where you will be swimming but still want to duck dive under the approaching waves. Patience is key here. This section may be 2 waves or 6 waves, it will feel like you are not making any progress but, you are. So, it is important to remain patient and calm and keep the pattern of swimming and duck diving under the white water. Don't attempt to swim over or through the white water on the way out. You will waste a bunch of energy and get pushed around.

You will make to the open water swimming, past the white water. This swimming is normal open water swimming. Nothing tricky here. For the return back to the beach you will use the white water and breaking waves to push you to the beach. For the surf return, I look slightly behind me as I breath, to check for the timing of the breaking wave behind me. I just sneak a peek and try to get a sense for my speed and the wave speed. I use that peek to anticipate when the white water/wave will hit me and then use the momentum from the wave to push me to the beach. 1 or 2 waves you can get the hang of it. After once my hand touches the bottom, it is faster to walk/jog in the water than swim.

The practice swim is a good time to practice. Give yourself plenty of time and rest between entries. Practicing surf entry and return can be taxing. Especially the first couple of tries.

Bike: Super flat. Southern part has a few turns that will require you slow and re-accelerate depending on bike traffic and congestion. But, that is really a very small part of the course. It is flat, with the biggest incline being a single highway overpass each direction. The wind will be consistent and noticeable but not dramatic.

Run: As Gabe mentioned, it is tide dependent. For Sept 16 - high tide is at 4 AM and low tide at 8:30 AM, with the next high tide at 3:09 PM. So you will have some good packed sand to run on all morning as the tide just went high at 4 and is on its way out until 8:30 and doesn't come back in until 3 PM. The beach is wide and you can expect some packed sand to run on. Overall the course is about 40 (sand) / 60 (road). There is one long continuous sand section each direction (north and south) on sand. The rest is on the road. The sand run is a mix of soft and packed sand. You cross the soft sand as you transition from the road to the sand 200-400 meters, then to packed sand right along the water line - majority of the sand run. (Caveat: There is a little soft sand under the pier - maybe 25- 50 m) Again you need some patience for the soft sand, keep the same effort and just recognize your speed will decrease. Think of it has a riding a hill with EN guidance. Keep your HR and effort the same, just realize your speed will decrease and remain calm. Running harder in soft sand, gives very little return for the energy/HR/power expended. Save that energy/HR/power for the road portion. You will see a lot of folks trying to power away in the sand, but more power doesn't give you any more speed, often you just dig a bigger hole. They will waste a bunch of energy trying to maintain speed in the sand.

Practice transitioning from the road to the soft sand, and packed sand to the soft sand while maintaining the same effort/HR/power. A few short intervals (maybe 5-10) you will get the hang of it.

It is a cool event. Great for spectators for the swim and the run. For any spectators - it is cool to watch the swim from the pier - you get to a really unique perspective of the athletes swimming out into the the surf. The beach town is nice - it is smaller race - so the transition area is smaller. Good luck. Happy to help or answer any questions.

• Options

Marc - your body surfing and time in Hawaii will come in very handy. Its just like that. Stay patient on the bike, get the HR down after the swim and slowly build the effort, while staying on your nutrition and hydration schedule. Your bike training in the heat and wind of Kansas will make this course seem easy, and it easy to get carried away early on this flat course, so keep it under control on the bike to step up a good run. Hotel Del Coronado is a great choice! You are going to knock your goals out of the park! I look forward to the race report. Go get 'em.

• Options

Such great information! Good luck out there Marc if I can't connect. Will be tough since we are staying out of Coronado a bit. I hope to be able to cheer you on and catch a glimpse! I love your goals! They are the best!!

• Options

Good luck out there tomorrow everyone! Should be a fun one ...

• Options
    So how did it go?
  • Options

It was a lot of fun! Swim was a challenge ... bike was great ... run was a schlog... sand sucked! Full report coming soon ...