Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Leslie Knight Official Coach Thread 2018-2019

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So great to have you back!!! I think the Best plan of action is to have you use our Balanced Half Marathon plan to prep for the 10 miler, then transition into our Balanced Marathon plan for the 50k. I say that as the 50k isn't really that much different (save for the trails). The other ultra plan we have is for a 50-miler, so that would we too much! 😮

The key is making sure you build up slowly enough (and with cross training!) so that you stay healthy. In addition, I would make sure you enjoy the trails now through November (?) when Winter comes and could force you indoors for a larger part of the winter. There's a certain skill to running on trails that takes a bit of time to develop.

Also, please make yourself home in the Ultra Forum So your teammates there can help you out as you go through this journey!

Your Races

• 22 Sept- Stillwater 7 - 7 mile trail run- my first trail race!
  • Fall Festival 15K- trail race- 10 November
  • Winter Solstice 10 mile Trail race- 22 Dec
  • Other Running Race 27 April 2019- Big Turtle 50K, Morehead, NY

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on August 30, 2018
  • Complete your Testing this Week.
  • On 9/3/2018 Load Run Durability Plan - Phase 2.
  • On 10/01/2018 Load The Intermediate Balanced Half Plan to end on 12/23/2018.
  • Take the holiday week off...and chill!
  • On 12/31/2018 Load the Balanced Marathon Plan to end on 4/28/2018
  • Connect with Coach P to plan the rest!

Your Notes

I went into maintenance June 2017 when I had to cancel Rev Quassy bc of plantar fasciitis. I'm back and healthy! I have raced on IM and several HIMs since 2012. Also, numerous half marathons, 4 stand alone marathons and many century rides. Been doing half marathons and metric century bikes, as well as getting into trail running since I got back to running in Feb 2018. Longest bike recently was 66 miles a few weeks ago. Longest run was 15 miles a few days ago. NO SWIMMING for a year. But there's a YMCA that I'm going to join today. It's on the way to work!

I'm slow, but use the Intermediate plans for training plans. HIM time is about 6:30-7:00, Half marathon 2:20-2:30, marathon 5:30. Not a fan of the marathon, but I've started trail running and want to do my first ultra next year. 

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we’ll sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Coach- thank for the reply!

It seems somewhere it got lost in the race planner the fact that my big race before the end of the year is Toughman TN in just five weeks. That’s why I loaded the HIM Run focus plan. Does that change anything? I’ve been using the Level 2 workouts and it seems to be going well. The runs are my foray into trail running to get ready for the ultra in April

im glad to be back! Already enjoying the team mojo

• Options

So sorry I missed that, your plan is perfect let’s keep rolling with it. That is a serious race, do you have all of the right gear do you need

• Options

Thx! I have everything. Need a tune up and replace my rear tire since it’s been in the trainer all winter.

• Options

That is so funny! I just did the same thing. Had my road bike in the shop and my mechanic took one look at my rear tire and told me I was an idiot for even trying to ride it outside!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

•  05/09/2020- Thunderbunny 50K, Athens, OH

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 28, 2019
    • On 10/22/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Runners 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/18/2019
    • On 11/19/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Runners 1 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/16/2019
    • On 12/17/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Runners 1 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/13/2020
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the  -- OutSeason for Runners Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 2/18/2020 Load the  -- UltraRun Plan (16 wks) to end on 5/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/24/2020

Your Notes

Lots of HIM (last one 10/18)(7hr range). Beach2Battleship 2014 (14:30- had bad stomach issues not encountered in training). Started trail running in 2018. Tie Dye 50K 5/18 (8:30 running super easy bc 1st one). I run 20-30 miles per week in summer and bike 200-250 miles per week in summer. Winter was more running last year (30-40 per week) in prep for 50K and no bike commute, so only 40-50 miles per week. I do a little bit of core and muscle chain work (rx'd by chiro) every day. Last year, I got very tight left hamstring with the higher mileage and trying to prevent that this year.

I'm slow, so I train with the level 2 workouts, but somehow only race at level 1 times.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P