Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IMWISC-Race Execution Plan

IMWISC Race Plan

Hey gang....heading into the week before IMWISC. I'm super stoked to get an opportunity to share the race weekend with such an amazing team! My main three goals (as always) are to 1.) stay process oriented, 2.) execute 4 keys and 3.) keep a smile on my face/have fun! I've never done this race before so I'm looking forward to new sights, logistics, and all of the unique challenges of the Wisconsin course. Within those my race specific goals:

Implement tweaks to streamline transition- This will be my first full using a full trisuit and not dilly-dallying around changing clothes in transition before the run. I'm going to so miss my favorite LuLuLemon running shorts (I know...sad!) I think @Jeremy Behler called it "low-hanging fruit" when he mentioned grabbing some free minutes by streamlining transitions. I've also practiced my transitions and taken out a few things/steps. We shall see if I can nab some low hanging grape flavored transition minutes. haha

Swim/Bike-don't overcook. Swim-slow & smooth. Bike: Added a 11-30 cassette so I'd have a little wiggle room in a lower gear to spin up three bitches. Going to be extra conservative this race. Climb like a ninja. Just be patient. Manage Watts/HR. Hopefully a conservative bike will give me room to have a balanced run.

Run- Main focus right here. Steady and pushing within my means through mile 18. Use my orange-mud vest with front liquid flask/nutrition to reduce temptation to slow too much during aid stations. Dig deep and actually push mile 18 to end. yes....attempting to go beyond the not slowing down. Hopefully have paced well up through 18 to give a push and enjoy running past people the last 8 miles. I love that feeling. (insert little grin here). HR focus instead of perceived exertion. New. (Coach P if you're reading...I know...I know...I'm evolving :))!!!.

Thurs- Travel excitement but Keep Calm Day

Arrive Madison midday, check in hotel, athlete check-in, pick up bike from TBT, short bike to check all systems go, hydrate/eat sensibly, time in boots, movie, 15-20 min yoga, chill out, bed early as possible.

Friday- Focus Day

Practice swim (20-25 min), short 2 mile jog to calm nerves, fill bags, expo (only if necessary), drive bike course, enjoy a few sights (very limited) time in boots, yoga, Team Dinner, check in with family back home, chill out.

Saturday - Energy Don't Spaz Out Day

Pancake Breakfast (AMRAP....haha!!) I can seriously win this leg of the race. :). 10:00a.m. drop off bike & bags , Walk through transition area to get visual bearings, take pics if necessary. CHILL OUT Review race day schedule/plan, boots, yoga, meditate, hydrate, check in with family/kids back home. MUST-DO: Watch favorite movies on Netflix/TV: Miracle, The Blind Side and then pick one I've never seen...I'm due to watch Shawshank Redemption this trip (can't believe I've never seen it....will probably watch it first!). Goal is to relax, chill out and CTFD....seriously. Traditional pre-race meal (in room): Cheese pizza, salad and vanilla ice cream. This is when having a Super Sherpa really helps. He also will make a grocery store run for any race morning breakfast & post-race snacks. :)

Sunday - Rubber meets the Road Day

3:30 wake/shower/eat breakfast #1 (coffee/gatorade/bagel/Hammer supplements)/get dressed

4:00 yoga (15)/meditate (15)

4:45 leave for transition

5:00 Transition- Bodymarking/air in tires/check to make sure in small chain/liquids on bike/check transition bags/visual of Transition in/outs. Move slow. Head down. Smile deep.

6:00 Sit at Lake Manona and soak it in. I sure hope we are going to get to swim with all of the flooding. Eat bagel sandwich. Go to restroom. Wetsuit/DeezNuts/Sunscreen application. Sit and talk to Sherpa. Seed in back because that makes me happy. One-loop swim means I shouldn't get klobbered like I did in LP. Looking forward to it.

6:40 Race starts. Probably won't get in water until 7:00 a.m. -ish. Watch swimmers in front to see where things are getting bogged down/crowded in the water. Mental note...stay away from those areas and decide where you want to be (inside/middle/outside). Will get teary-eyed as I hear folks talk about it being their first....or when I hear the announcer. High five volunteers and fans as we get close to water.

Swim- count strokes. Start smooth and slow. Let the HR lower. Focus on form. I've been working on body rotation, balance, and a little extra push with the triceps as I finish the stroke. Processes. Remember this is what you do. This is the coolest you'll be all day. What a freaking amazing opportunity. Don't assume anything. Watch out for bozos around you. Burn a match through turns if crowded. Just a little warm-up swim to get the day going. Enjoy 90 minutes in the water. You're not going to be faster or much slower. Patience grasshopper.

T1: Exit with smile, thank volunteers, jog helix (tangents), helmet, shoes on, sunglasses, start bike computer, watch, go. Focus to get through this. Don't talk so much. I tend to chit chat with volunteer. Don't do this.

Bike: No expectations on time at ALL. Goal is to manage watts and HR. Should be pretty sparse in the back 1/4 of the pack. I'm fine with that. JRA 40 miles. Process goal is to keep a very steady pedal stroke throughout the clock. Don't let ribs collapse into hips. Stay open. Notice and manage breathing. Climb smart. Let people pass you. You'll catch them later on the run. Then 72 mile bike ride in Ninja mode. Stay focused and relaxed. Quality decisions. Remember nothing taxing happens for more than 5-7 minutes. Smile at the Bitches and remember SugarLoaf Hill in Florida. Nutrition: gel every 30 min + banana every other aid station or as desired. 1.2 liter of liquid every aid station. Salt chews/hammer supplements 1/2 way point. This seems to be plenty for me and has worked great my past 2 full races this year. Will have extra Salt Chews on hand should things get sticky.

T2: Dismount with smile hoping my husband isn't galavanting around in his bald eagle speedo costume. If you see this (you won't miss it!!) yes...that goofball belongs to me. You'll definitely get a good laugh. Jog in. get bag, change socks/shoes. Put on orange mud vest (NEW), grab race-saver bag and go. Don't talk so much, Steph. Focus/blast through.

Run: This is where I really want to execute well. Totally focused on HR. First three miles....walk/jog intervals (4:1) to get HR down. Seriously....I love love my walk/jog intervals at the beginning. It reminds me of the JRA for the bike. It takes discipline to walk at the beginning of the run and it works for me. It keeps me from getting overcooked and allows me to find my legs and my heart rate. Miles 4-6 extend w/J intervals depending on how I'm feeling/HR. If things are looking steady I'll decrease the walk time a little to :45 maybe :35. The trick is for me is to keep doing the intervals even when I know I feel like running/blasting it out. Mile 7-17 running and using orange mud for nutrition. Walk as little as possible but stay in a slow steady quick cadence jog. :30 walk breaks as needed but limited. Keep thanking volunteers, talking to other athletes when possible, and counting steps. Mile 18 to end: ok...mental training kicks in and I'm going to push/race. New trick: Imagine 8 miles of moderate push intervals. 30 seconds of quicker pace, 30 seconds jog, 30 sec slightly wider faster stride, 30 sec jog, 30 sec walk (2:30 minute interval game). Giving myself a mental game to play to get through last 8 miles. Even with a short walk segment I've tried these over 8 miles my pace should increase. Seems like fun!!! HAHA!! May sound stupid but we will see. I've done variations of this in other races and it gives my brain something to count/focus on. I also have a LIST of whys....not just one why....to get me through the suck....pretty much to get me through the day. I tend to do best when I dedicate a mile or portion of a mile to a person or a family I know. For that portion of the run I'll think about all the wonderful positive things I know or have learned about that person. It helps clip the time along. Nutrition: Eat early. One cliff blocks as I'm exiting transition. Will use orange mud to carry my own nutrition to help me not dilly dally through aid stations. Gatorade in collapsable orange mud front flask, salt and hammer supplements in pocket, only grab from aid station if absolutely needed (banana). By mile 15 I'll probably switched over to sips of coke from aid station. Everything subject to interpretation and negotiation based on the situation as it unfolds. Flexibility and calm problem solving is key. Just knowing that a year ago I HAD to walk an entire marathon to finish at IMLP makes any running feel like a dream.

Finish and MOO with a smile!! Hug my husband who will be volunteering medical at the race finish line and celebrate. I should be coming in after dark but I'm cool with that. Never given. Always Earned. Thanks Mariah for that phrase....its so true!! I'm imagining this one will be no different. I never plan the finish line thing.....I know I love hitting the breaks when I see the read carpet. It never gets old to walk it through those bright lights!! 10 seconds of feeling like a rockstar...priceless!!

Post-race: shower, get in compression boots, hydrate, and drink beer/eat as able. Sleep.

Post-race Monday: get home, compression & hydration/eat healthy.

Post-race week: NOT overeat and go crazy celebrating/cryotherapy sessions starting Tuesday/compression. Back to work feeling. Light swims/spins rest of the week.

Anything can happen on race day so I TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED and will negotiate any unforeseen obstacles or challenges as they come. I have no delusions of being fast...ever....but I just love the opportunity. There's been a lot of stress this summer with moving houses, moving a daughter from Salt Lake City to Knoxville Tn and having a race right at the beginning of the school year (I'm a teacher). And yes, cumulative fatigue from a busy race year is no joke. I made my bed here...I'm gonna lay in it as happily as possible. haha. No excuses but just being realistic that this summer of stress has been a doozy!!

Thanks to all of you who have shared your race reports and given insight into this race. I think the most important thing you or I could do race day is just do YOU. Do your plan. Do what works for you. Eat what works for you. s/B/R the way that works for you. Its your body, your mind, and your race. If something isn't working race day....YOU know best what to tweak...you really do. Trust yourself and trust your training/plan/knowledge.

I wish each of you the very best of luck!!! You sound so incredibly disciplined and ready to go!!! You're going to have an awesome day!! Every morsel of info you have shared has helped me think how can I approach this race as smart as possible to execute within my means. I really appreciate it!! I'm sure I've forgotten something but will review even this report to dot my i's and cross my t's. If I didn't forget something during a race week that would be my "new thing" so I'm easy on myself..haha... it happens. Bike and initial gear bag are already on TBT en route to Madison....So now its just time to pack!! Have a super taper week everyone. Thanks for reading. If you get one bit of something that helps you or you smile and get energized to race then I'm glad to share. Look forward to meeting you at the team dinner Friday evening. What an amazing TEAM we have indeed!! :)

All the best,

Stephanie (IMWISC #395)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Lots of great stuff in your plan Stephanie! I especially like the double breakfast idea and yoga + meditation

• Options

Lots of positive energy. Keep it going during the race. I will try to do the same. The only "real" hill on the comes at about 6/19 miles so channel your favorite runner and get them done. See you there.

• Options

@Stephanie Weldon look forward to seeing you again. Now that you are a master bike mechanic and transition ninja it's time for you to take on graduate level courses.

IMWI and Lake Placid are similar in a lot of ways...both very challenging and great opportunities to benefit from smart execution. I think you'll find the time in Lake Placid camp and the race will serve you well this weekend.

Safe travels and see you in a few days!