Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Steve Boer - 2018 IMWI Race Plan

edited September 3, 2018 5:45PM in Racing Forum 🏎

Background:

This will be my third Ironman – my first ironman since 2014, and only my second race since 2014. My first IM in 2013 was Placid – I had no business showing up. To say that I was undertrained would be an incredible overstatement. Tremblant was my revenge race in 2014 – all that I cared about was finishing. In my mind, I went into Tremblant thinking that I was a rock star (up until I crashed 3 weeks before the race). In retrospect, it was leaps and bounds better than 2013, but still a joke. This is the first time that I’ve come anywhere near putting in the required effort, and even then, I’ve got a long way to go before being really truly trained to the right levels.

To put it in perspective, here are my pre-race day YTD totals for each of the three races

Plan:

Fly in to Madison on Friday – I would have liked to arrive a day earlier, but my wife and son don’t arrive back from their 2 week trip to the Philippines until Thursday night. That is going to make for a sleepless night Thursday – probably 5 hours of sleep tops.

I booked an AirBNB for while I’m there and will be Uber’ing around town. My flight arrives 11:30, and I wont have any bags except a carry-on (thanks TBT).

This has truly been a breakthrough year for me in terms of performance – if for nothing else – consistency. Going into Wisconsin I’m feeling good and have banked the fitness. FTP is SWAG around 250, but 5 hour power is way lower than that. That is my own fault in that I did not do enough long rides throughout the year and instead panic trained, relying heavily upon bike volume instead of duration.

As much as I’ve gained on the bike, the run is where I’ll make up the time. Starting with a build from a September HIM last year to NYC marathon in November, I continued the ramp all the way up to my first two ultra’s (Austin rattler 66k, and north face bear mountain ny 50k). Much of this run ramp was based upon run durability – I ran a lot last year. More than I ever have in my life. And I’ve already surpassed last years totals.

Swim:

Expectation 1:40-1:45 – plan on seeding myself with the 1:30-1:40. This is the one area of the race that I’ve put zero effort in. I’ve swam 7 times YTD, and it honestly does not frighten me in the least. I’ve always viewed the swim as not even an appetizer, but simpley a chef’s muse – it doesn’t take anything out of me, its just punch-in and punch-out.

Bike:

Expectation 6:35-6:55 – garmin is set to auto-lap every 5 miles – I’ll be targeting a 170NP. I know that I’ll likely ride a higher VI simply due to a lower w/kg, but am not terribly concerned with the elevation. I know that Wisconsin is considered one of the harder courses, but I attribute a lot of that to the 1,000,000 turns per loop. I feel like the variety in the course will actually make the ride go quicker (in my mind) as there will likely be lots of in and out of aero, braking, acceleration, etc etc. Goal is to try to carry as much speed as comfortable in the turns while staying clear of others – afterall, triathletes ARE KNOWN for their bike handling skills (and not in a good way)

Run:

Expectation 5:00-5:20 – I’d like to say that I’m going to start off at 11:00 miles and slow down from there, but am going to go by HR. At the end of the bike, I’m guessing my HR will be around 135-140bpm, and that’s where I plan on capping my HR for the first hour. If I have to take walk breaks to bring it back down, so be it. After the first hour, I’ll let my HR creep to 145 until the 2:00 mark, and for the rest of the race, my sole focus will be on trying to keep my HR at the 145-150 mark with as little fall-off as possible. I’ll be using my own Infinit Tripwire in two large handheld bottles (one at the beginning, one in RSN), and will likely switch over to redbull/coke at the mile 19 mark. 

1:40 1:45 Swim Estimate

6:35 6:55 Bike

5:00 5:20 Run

13:15 14:00 (SBR total)

0:20 0:20 (transition)

13:35 14:20 (total)

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Steve boer it will be fun to be toeing the line with you again in an Ironman! I do think you are MUCH better prepared this time around than in years past, and those miles and that confidence will definitely help you in the latter part of the run.

First of all, don’t forget that this is a “race”... obviously you need to do everything you can to setup the latter part of your day, especially givin the embarrassingly small amount of swimming you have done. But I think your are legitimately capable of a 12-handle or low 13-handle. “Next” time you should get ~15-20 mins out of your swim... but “this” time, you’ll have to find it elsewhere. Like for instance, 5 mins or so in Transitions. I’m hoping for ~8-10 mins in combined transitions for myself. If it takes you more than 2x that, you should be embarrassed.

Sounds like a good plan on the bike.

I like your HR limits on the run and I think it will serve you well. You have looked very strong on the run this year. Remember that on the 2nd loop where your main focus and intent will be to not get lazy! You HAVE the legs this year. And you have the MIND this year. Just stay focused and do NOT let that HR drop.

If all goes well, I’ll be out of the med tent by the time you finish and will actually get to see you cross the line in person!

• Options

WTF were you thinking in 2013? 173 run miles? The definition of minimum plan. I think there is a good "knock knock joke" in there somewhere.

Swim- We already talked about this a bit, and I strongly disagree. While I do agree ROI is best spent biking/running. The swim does indeed take something out of everybody. How can it not? Even at an easy pace 90 minutes is still 90 minutes activity using muscles and burning calories. Maybe we can use your bike power target to determine what if any the swim took out of you? Irregardless your ROI spent on the bike/run will more than make up any swim fitness.... Make sure to eat immediately on the bike after 90 minutes in the water.

Bike/Run - I dont think you can even compare mileage/time to previous years. With the work you did on the Zwift and the Ultra's this year I think you can go into this with huge confidence. Durability and execution rule in the Ironman distance.

Transitions - please do not bake 20 minutes worth of cookies in the transitions.

Good Skill my friend. I'll be eating ice cream and watching you finish!

• Options

@Steve boer Thanks for sharing those statistics, really puts into perspective how far you’ve come in as an athlete which is quite impressive. I think your expectations are fine, but I would still challenge you to find areas where you can excel.

for example, even though you don’t have an insanely strong FTP, you can still be a ninja on the hills. Or have great transitions, or really focus on the last 10k of the run, etc.

these are things that, if you do them right, you can take with you to your next race where you will undoubtedly have even better Fitness.

• Options

I think transitions @ 11-12 minutes total are possible when you're going up and down that helix, in and out of the convention center. I endorse what Withrow is saying - you can find 8 minutes of free time by thinking and practicing those transitions even a little bit.

My favorite IM Cliche, especially for the run: "Pay attention to your nutrition and your pace [effort level]; your time and place will take care of themselves." My second favorite: "Slowing down is not an option." They both work as long as you have the humility and discipline to run STOOOPID slow the first hour, which is the golden hour for getting fluids and a few calories in on the run. After that, it's all upstairs.

• Options

@steve Beyer I agree with @John Withrow : you could go sub 13 with smart execution.

With a 250 FTP and .7 IF = 170 NP as you mentioned, with smart riding and nutrition you could go 6:30.

On the swim, you really could minimize sighting but just following the pack. Careful on that long back end back to the swim finish. Very easy to sight too much on the long way back in on the back end of the swim as you fatigue and come in on an angle and get a little disoriented heading toward the end of the swim, so careful with that and you could go sub 1:40.

The crowds on State are energizing. Keep that in mind when running the dirt trail along Lake Mendota at dusk, which can be kinda spooky. It won’t last long until you start feeling the vibe back into town.

• Options

@Steve boer I just want to say good luck and have a great race. No matter what it takes courage to toe the line at any IM.

I'm working with a client that lives in Madison and she said there are reports of flooding and a potential swim alteration. Maybe the swim Gods are in your favor. But - we know - we're only concerned with what we can control.

PS - @tim cronk ... love the way you put it out there. Still laughing ... 'WTF were you thinking in 2013? 173 run miles? The definition of minimum plan. I think there is a good "knock knock joke" in there somewhere. 😂

• Options

@Steve boer you have much better fitness and can benefit from the collective knowledge of this team to improve your execution on one of the most challenging technical IM circuits out there. There are so many opportunities for others to make a mistake and you will be smarter than that. Double that if the weather is inclement as the current forecast indicates it might be.

Also I'm surprised to see no mention of middle fingers in your race plan?

• Options

@Steve boer - the comments above say it all. What most people don't know is that Steve and I live an easy run distance apart if you don't mind a few steep hills. I've seen your body comp change over the years and this year there have been times where you've showed up for dinner looking like a fit Triathlete.

I echo what Withrow said about using this race as a learning experience for the "next" race. If you took body comp as serious as others and swimming, you'd be a real threat both here and in your new love of ultra...

enjoy the race! I know that's part of it for you, and if you take too much time in Transition, somehow I know you won't really give a dang what @John Withrow calls you!

• Options

Execute, work hard, have fun and enjoy the day! Can't wait to follow you during the race

• Options

enjoy the race, go win it!

I am sure you will not waste 20 minutes in T'

• Options

Given your improved bike and run fitness, I suspect that you will end up with a really strong run. I agree with turning it up at the last 10 K on the run, but if you feel alright in the last 3 miles, just open it up and get really aggressive and greedy til you cross the finish line. Nothing bad can really happen at that point, even if you cramp up, but the upside could be so rewarding mentally.

Have a great time @Steve boer !!!

• Options

Good skill to you @Steve boer !

A few random observations:

• Congratulations on the improved fitness and preparation coming into the race!
    • IMO, 90+' in the water is a long time, even if you're just treading water. You know you best, my thoughts are that I'd respect that time spent and be prepared to acknowledge it (at least mentally) as you transition to the early parts of the bike.
    • With the right head space I think you may surprise yourself on your results! Have tools ready for your mental toolbox to show restraint early in the bike and/or push yourself hard late in the run. Know your WHY!
    • Middle fingers and EN Gang sign --> free speed!

Cowbell poised!

• Options

@Steve boer - I am looking forward to meeting you in Madison tomorrow. It's been a pleasure panic training with you this last 6 weeks!

Your plan is good, and I can't add anything to what everyone else has said.

Enjoy the day!

• Options
    edited September 6, 2018 2:16PM

@Steve boer

I have very much enjoyed watching you train this year and appreciate the team spirit you have provided in the groupme threads! We'll have a well earned beer or two discussing post race details in Cancun.

First what @tim cronk says about swim is important. Swim takes something from everyone. Given this is going to be a long day, I would make this a form focused, do no harm swim. Buoy to buoy, straight as possible, reset form at each buoy, and don't eat the paste.....don't get into a race during the swim, save those matches for the run.

Bike - 170/250 NP = .68 IF - right on the money IMO. IMWI is arguably the most difficult bike course on the circuit due to its technicality and the fact that you can't take your downhill momentum into the uphill given the hairpin turns at the bottom of some of those hills. Hence @Coach Patrick 's advice to become a ninja on the uphill climbs. What is your max power output target for the uphill climbs? What is the nutrition plan on the bike? Getting this right is going to determine your run success on the back half of the marathon. Do you have a goal of peeing twice on the bike and at least once by mile 40?

Run - I like your plan. Spend the whole swim and bike thinking about what you can do to make your run execution successful.

Sleep is important. If Thursday night is questionable. Friday night has to be a quality sleep night. Typically, Saturday night before race is not quality and does not affect my Sunday race as long as I have slept well a day to two before.

I have you and the rest of the team locked and loaded in the tracker. Use the on course team support to make it through the tough moments and always, no matter what, keep moving forward.

SS

• Options

First, thanks everybody for feedback and advice. I’ve tried to take away as much as possible without overcomplicating everything.

@John Withrow Swim - I honestly need a reset so to work on 3 things: 1) bilateral breathing 2) pushing down vs pulling - this ties back to number 1, and 3) stroke rate - break out the finis, but not until I’ve got the first two squared away. The 20 minute number was just throwing a combined T time number in. 15 minutes is likely closer to reality, but we’ll play it by ear. Talking about having the legs and don’t be lazy, I’ll channel my inner @tim cronk - “that doesn’t hurt, it’s just uncomfortable”. Look forward to seeing you at the finish line 

@tim cronk - i’m certain that the swim does take something out, probably more than i admit/realize, but that’ll be a definite focus for the next year. Agreed, I need to get on the nutrition ASAP out of the swim and onto the bike. 

@Coach Patrick The one thing for me this year is the run - If I can hold on for dear life like I hope to, there should be a YUUUUUGEEEE PR in it this year. Granted it’s not a very high bar at 15:48:02 for my only finish, but I’m going into this 1) finish 2) 13:xx time 3) 13:48:01 and 4) anything faster than that is gravy

@Al Truscott The first stoooooooopid slow hour is the goal. Thanks for the added tip of using that low effort time as the optimal time to take in calories - obviously if your body isn’t pumping as much blood, it’ll be easier to digest/process calories. 

@Tony Ledden I’ll take all of the strategy/execution swim tips I can get 

@Sheila Leard and @tim cronk - 173 miles - Job changes, life changes, triathlon was more of an afterthought than anything that year. I took 2013 as a learning year - you have to respect the distance

@Jeremy Behler I do plan on trying to smooth the course as much as possible, a little bit of bike handling skills and cautious optimism can save a good amount of time over the course of the ride.

@scott dinhofer I think I can honestly say that I will enjoy this race - i’ve put in the hours (still nowhere near enough) to execute much better than tremblant. Agreed about the body comp - its better (and staying better longer), but there is a long way to go. I’ll need to come up with some goals and ideas for how to reach them - nutrition is obviously the easiest (but still the hardest), but also need to mix up the workouts. LSD bike and run with a handful or hard workouts will only get me so far. I know that no matter what happens, i’ll get a congratulatory message from @john withrow at the end, followed up immediately with some tough love about how much better I could have been. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else like him that can lift you up, and then immediately serve up a ton of spot on advice with as much sincerity as him. 

@Francis Picard internet = broken sunday

@Nam Lam I’ve got a strange combination of optimism and realism for the end of the run. If i can make it to mile 18 running, I can make it to 20. if I can make it to 20, hang on for dear life and put it all out there. I walked it home for both of my ultras this year and want to avoid that as much as possible on the run. It’s gonna get uncomfortable, I just need to keep turning the screw a little bit tighter.

@Shaughn Simmons bike - depending on the climbs, as a big boy with a low FTP I know that I’m going to spike my power. Honestly, the goal is to keep as low as possible - i know that i’ll likely spend a few matches grinding up the hills at 55-60rpm at 90-110% of ftp. It is what it is. Nutrition on the bike is 100% infinit. I plan on drinking on command every 15 minutes, with anything more than that being bonus. I’ve got concentrate bottles that i’ll be using to fill my BTA bottle. Each of my concentrate bottles is good for 6 fills, 300 calories each. I need to do one complete bottle every hour, no matter what. Even with practice, I have a hard time staying on task with consuming enough calories/fluids. This will be extra important in wisconsin with nearly ideal temperatures predicted. Just because its not hot, don’t become complacent and allow yourself to get dehydrated/underfueled. pee: based upon my training rides this year, I hope to be a pee master on the bike, likely 3 times before the day is up. This is something that I can do, but not masterfully, as it just goes against everything that you’ve trained your body/mind for your entire adult life ;) sleep: i know that friday is the key night as saturday will be short and restless at best

• Options

@Steve boer " I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone else like him that can lift you up, and then immediately serve up a ton of spot on advice with as much sincerity as him. "

Geez, you really haven't spent enough time with me 😂

• Options

@Steve boer I’m way too late to this party to give you any meaningful advice. Good skill, honor your training self and have fun.