Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

MY RACE PLAN FOR IM Port Elizabeth

IM S Africa

This race on the waters of Port Elizabeth, S Africa, the swim in Nelson Mandella Bay and run along the bay,

2 Sept 2018        

Eugene W Partridge

Endurance Nation:

Pre-Race Summary:

I qualified for this race at Calgary 70.3. in July of 2017. As a result all my effort has been focused on mastering that distance. Starting with Austin 70.3 in late October. My effort was good but results were poor based on two factors, Cold air temperature at start, and poor pre race preparation, based on Strava data. Not enough hours and speed work especially the bike, and also on the run. Swimming was only adequate.

PLANNING

With the help of Coach Patrick from EN there for we elected to start with and Olympic Distance event, LAVA MAN. In Kona in late March as way to develop some speed, Pre-ceded by a strong Out Season of running, swimming and cycling. I went Hawai and was 4th in AG at this USAT sanctioned event. This lead and provided impetus to IM 70.3 Victoria, and 70.3 CDA, both close to home and affordable, the idea here was to get some seasoning, and fitness, and to try and develop speed.  an after thought on my part was to Return in Late July For Calgary,Alberta Canada 70.3, Where I set my PR of 5:31 in 2017.As this season has wore on, I have trended faster despite some mishaps,3 bike crashes and a series of Injuries that were tough to overcome, My mantra was “Ice”, I’m most proud that I did not give up on myself. Advise from team mates in the RUN ME app helped so much. 

The goal now is IM 70.3 S Africa, this is my 3rd time in six years and have performed in a manner that did not meet expectations. By buying into Training the EN way, and by staying focused on training plan laid out for me, I should be able to find improvement over past performances. I can honestly say that I have not cut corners, focused on what needed to be done, and have tried to be mindful of racing a good race at WORLDS.

The 1st Key is getting to the race from the Pacific Northwest, USA, down to Port Elizabeth S Africa. This takes 3 Airlines, 2 long lay overs and 2 flights of greater than 9 hours, and a total of 36 hours.

Once in Port Elizabeth the focus is short runs, short stints on bike to learn the course and of course short swims in the Ocean and swim with the Penguins. 

RACE DAY: Up at 4-430. 1 cup of coffee, 1 power gel, on protein bar, and one bottle of Gator Aid. 30 minutes of stretching on the flood, the walk 1.5 KM to swim start. 

Follow the list like a pilot, Goggles, swim cap, wet suit, 3 gears bags filled and ready to roll.

Over tri suit ,long warm ups, extra socks, wool cap and fleece for warmth on 52 degree morning.

In T1 Bike Prep, Tires, E-tap batteries, fluids 3 bottles, and flat tire repair gear, small towel, salt tabs and at least 6 gels for use on swim, transition and run[EP1] . I will utilize fluids and gels available to me on the course . I will utilize the check lists from EN Master race plan. Take care of business and use the blue rooms.

SWIM: Get out of T1 in plenty to time to use blue room, assuming I have filled tires with air. I intend on warming up on the designated swim course. I hope to get 200-400y of swimming in, then fall back in line and be ready to roll in 4th wave.

WAVE: 4 The  swim I expect a cool air temperature on race day, The ocean temperature should remain about the same reported to be 64 Fahrenheit, a second swim cap underneath race cap will be utilized. Googles will be de fogged and cleaned. Wet suit full arm and leg to try to retain heat. Take to 1st 600 yards to get into stroke groove, allowing my training to get me through the initial start, then OK to start racing people if doable without expending too much energy. Smooth stroke is better and will make me faster . My goal is 35 minutes, then moving onto T2, and wet suit peeler. 

T1: Be quick but don’t hurry. “John Wooden” from UCLA basketball coined this. Once wet suit off jog fast tempo to bike and transition. Stand on a small towel if there is room, If not “forget it” More important is buckled race helmet, short socks, to save time, No gloves to save time. Shoes, No time to waste be quick get my P5 untracked pushed down to start line via jog 7 gel pack “half in and half out “quick step” and under control.

BIKE: My actions in the 1st 30 minutes are very important. My HR on the bike usually will settle in around 130, this is only after a good warm up, This will take 5 miles and 20 minutes, No doubt critical that I be patient, since the first 10 miles of this course is all up hill. I utilize HR and Watts to gage my progress. I’ll be expecting 2:50 bike split or better so 75% of FTP If my heart rate exceeds 150 I’ll dial thing back to Zone 2. Once 30 minutes into bike I should be in a good place both with watts and HR. after 20 minutes begin to fuel with fluids, I utilize Perpetuem , then Gatorade 3-4 liters should do me well, at least 4 gel packs through out the ride. On the Hills, Climb the EN way.

Younger age groupers will be following my AG 65-69. I Understand that some or many of the AG athletes can and will pass me on the bikes, however I need to stay focused so as not to allow others go by who should not. I also understand not to burn myself out on the first 25 miles of the ride. Fueling, pacing, racing and goal setting along with my training should get me to where I want to be. I believe EN guidance is “racing with power” THE BOX. I plan to allow my training self and focus help me within this phase. 

T2 Goal time 3 minutes or less.

Get down to business, be quick and remove cycle shoes, Rack bike ASAP. Stay with initial socks, too much time lost in change. Put on bib #, step into it. Grab shades and visor. Get a sip of Gatorade and eat gel on run out to 3rd leg.

RUN

The run: 13.2 miles is still along ways. I tend to get untracked mile1-3, not too slowly 9 minute pace would be good, will take 9:15, try to set 8:45 pace to mile 9. Stay focused, I can enjoy things after the run. Try to understand where my competitors are on the course, are they racing, limping slowing, if so, we may have an opportunity here.

I completed this on air plane while flying to Africa from Seattle. I forgot my power cord for my computer. So this report is late, but does represent my thought prior to Sept 2nd race.