Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Alan's IMWI 2018 Race Plan

Subtitle: Guess I'm All In

This will be my 8th IMWI and 11th IM

I am a FOP swimmer/BOP biker and MOP runner

Background/Why "All In"? I retired the end of 2017 which has led to the biggest 6 mo IM training block in my 9 yrs of IM. Moved into new age group, now the "kid" in the 60-64 group. Bot a new bike, used P3, it has Di2. Got new Flo 60/90 wheels. Ftp up 20, now at 220 thanks to lots of Zwifing. I have only done 5 outside bikes this year, 3 were races, all the rest on Zwift. Small brag here, I did 2 half's this year and won my age group in both! Full disclosure, I was the only person in my age group in the first one and one of two in my age group in the second one! Now it's time to deliver on all this work (and spending)!!

Goal: Finish in the top 25% in AG and PR (sub 12:56)

Swim: Goal 1:05

Try and get right on the "line" with the buoys, depending on how others have lined up. Find feet if possible for draft. Swim smooth and count strokes.

T1

Wetsuit stripper, jog up inside of Helix. I can save some time here, historically I have changed into bike shorts, this year will wear tri shorts the whole race, so no change here. Likely arm warmers, thin wind vest (I chill easily), hr strap, socks, shoes, helmet and go! Lots of sunscreen and a likely pee break on the jog to bike.

Bike: Goal 6:45

20 min JRA, after 20 min target 155 watts. Have 11-32 this year, so my watt spike for the hills should be more manageable, but even in the smallest gear I tend to grind up the hills.

1 bottle Gatorade and 1 Clif Block per hour (no Ensure, thanks all). Just over 300 cal hr. Would be really nice to pee on the bike, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

T2

No flying dismount for me @Jeff Horn ! I have changed into running shorts in prior years, not this year! Put shoes, hat, race belt on and go! Will have socks available if needed.

Run: Goal 4:50

Last year at IMLOU Coach P helped me run my first sub 5 hr IM marathon, will try and improve that time a bit more. I run by RPE, but will do my best to start off close to my last hr bike rate. Run between aid stations, 20-30 walking steps at aid stations. Take gel every hr. Drink every aid station. Confident about the first 18 miles, do my best to put the head down and get'er done on those last miles!

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions. Looking forward to meetings all the EN peeps in WI!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Alan Brown - great Race plan - Love the subtitle... when it get's dark repeat that to yourself without the word "guess." Just keep smiling and being you! (Loved racing with your enthusiasm on the course in 2016!)

looking forward to seeing your name towards the top of your AG!

• Options

@Alan Brown First, Thanks for the ride and the conversation. I noticed two things in the race report that you might consider. You could wear the HR strap on the swim. That saves the time of pulling down your top getting it on and pulling the wet top back on. When peeing on the bike think of massive water falls and not how much you spent on your bike. Just let it go! With this weather plenty of people will be feeling good and overcooking themselves. The last 13 miles of the run is where we make our race.

See you at dinner!

• Options

9th year in IM triathlon, new equipment, snazzy new FTP, projected moderate temps, and most of all, retired with a lot of extra time to RECOVER between workouts all point to a stellar day. I don't know if IM WI is a PR course for you (where was your previous one set?), but I do know that @ age 60, after ten years of IM training and racing, I did get my own IM PR. So there's a gauntlet for you...

You;ve got all the right attitudes in your plan. Just remember, if you swim to your potential, bike within yourself, and make it to mile 18, there are NO EXCUSES at that point given the work you've done leading up to this. "Honor your training self"

• Options

@scott dinhofer Thanks and yes "All In"!

@Todd Glass "Waterfalls", will do! Thanks!

@Al Truscott Thanks for the "gauntlet", NO EXCUSES and Honor your training self" Will be my race mantra!

• Options

@Alan Brown You have the experience, you have the fitness, you have the gear. Good Skill to you!

Can't wait to toe the line with you tomorrow!

• Options

@Alan Brown, sounds good! You got this, I'll be tracking you!