Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jen Datwyler coaching thread

Hi Patrick,

I hope I am in the right place for this. I recently re-joined EN after working after a couple years working with a private coach. I originally was planning to do Indian Wells 70.3 this December, but I am finding it is just not going to work out with work/family commitments. I want to re-shift my focus. Stay in swim/cycle maintenance, and start working towards Boston Marathon in April ( I am hoping to register this Friday with my BQ at Cal International marathon last December) . So basically, I think I need a "new" plan. Rather than the 1/2 IM plan I am currently not following.

Comments

• Options

@Jennifer Datwyler Yes, you are in the right place. You can either post hear about this information, or, under the training tab above, you can submit a new race focus. Now that I know what you’re into I will get back to you shortly with a different set of guidance for Boston.

out of curiosity, what are your goals for Boston?

• Options

I truly want to enjoy the Boston experience. Not sure what to expect for time goals for that race taking into account unpredictable weather, crowds, course terrain, etc. I was disappointed in my qualifying race as I was well prepared and trained to do 3:35. In retrospect I think I was in an overtraining state. I went 3:49 having slowed DRAMATICALY at mile 16. I think I am capable of 3:40-3:45, so that would be my “A goal”, I would be satisfied to hit. 3:50. This will most likely be my one shot at Boston , so I really DO want to run to my potential

• Options

@Jennifer Datwyler

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I think we should kick off with Run Durability Program for now until you get a good baseline. If you have other events this fall, we can work them in.

The wiggle room in your plan is in early DEC as we could do some Speed Work in there, if you are ready, before going "full monty marathon" training. Let me know what you think!

Your Races

• Boston Marathon 4/15/2019

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/20/2018
    • On 9/17/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/14/2018
    • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/11/2018
    • On 11/12/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Runners 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/9/2018
    • On 12/10/2018 Load the -- Marathon, 24 Weeks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/29/2018

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better. 

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Hi Patrick,

I have finally decided on a 2019 race schedule .

Still doimg Boston marathon on April 15,

adding 1. Santa Rosa 70.3 ( July 27)

2.IM Maryland ( September 28)

I will be starting run durability 3 on Monday November 12.

should I continue on with marathon plan for Boston? Or doadding in bike/run?

• Options

Sorry, my edit went wrong. Asking if I should load a different plan after durability 3 ( incorporating bike and swim) leading into 70.3 and IM training.? Or just continue as planned with marathon plan for Boston ?

• Options

Hi Patrick I am in my last week of run durability. Not sure what to load next. ( see above)

thanks,

Jen

• Options

@Jennifer Datwyler - thanks for bumping me here.

Adding a bike run program is an interesting question. I keep going back to where you mentioned above that you wanted to do your best at Boston because this may be your only shot.

So we have to walk a fine line between getting ready for Boston but also doing some of the other cycling work that will set you up to be successful over the rest of your season as you become a triathlete.

You have two options. The first is to load the “balanced” Marathon plan which doesn’t clued a bit of cycling work with in the context of our traditional Marathon program. The other option, is to get refocused on the bike for the month of December and then transition back to a three month program to get you ready for Boston. This allows you to do some investment on the bike and raise your fitness in a safe way, but does not preclude you from being successful at Boston.

Both options have pros and cons. What are you thinking?

• Options

I am leaning towards the "balanced" marathon plan. I am going to be in Utah for a week in December without my bike, so doing a bike focus in December does not make a lot of sense for me. Agree?

• Options

Yes, the Balanced Marathon plan is best then. We can always add more biking post Boston to plan to accelerate the SR70.3™ project and get you recovering from the run itself.

Two more thoughts for you:

• You can ALWAYS swap out a run for a bike at a similar Heart Rate. If the run(s) or a particular weekly run isn't your jam, use the bike. It's the aerobic time that matters for me.
    • Boston murders LE QUADS of all newbies. The best way to combat this is to (1) work on quad flexibility through your training (image of assorted options below) and (2) to include some wall sits into your core routine.

Couch Stretch

Wall Sits

Onwards!!!

~ Coach P