Home General Training Discussions
Options

2018-2019 Run Durability Accountability Planning Thread

This is where you should be posting your information for your Run Durability plan / strategy. In addition to posting what you plan to do, you can check in here regularly to day up to date, get / give motivation and more!

Intro Points:

• What year of EN is this for you? Year One? Two? Ten?
  • What was your annual run mileage weekly average from the last 12 months? 15 miles? 18? 24?
  • What is Your goal for the run durability phase this year? Build to 24 miles a week? Start a run streak in month three?
  • Bonus - Picture of you / your kicks / your running pup or your favorite route!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I am currently training for my first 50km trail race on Oct 21. I will be taking two weeks off and then downloading the run durability plan. See you all then.

• Options

I have a new pup I'm training. 😊 Actually she is training me to get my steps per minute up!

I'm doing RDP 6 days a week. We went from 11 miles the first week to 23 miles the second week. It's slow or fartleck type running. Picture a 21 month old Springer Spaniel sprinting then slowing down. 🐕️ The miles add up! I plan to carry this into the OS and hover around 20 miles a week. I don't feel fatigued.

Let's see how this goes. 🐈️

• Options

After a break post IMFL I hope to be able (and want!) to run. Will be running lots of slow miles frequently. Will explore the trails a bit before starting my migration pattern in winter. :D

• Options

Year #3 with EN

this year - 38 weeks is 32mpw.

goals for this year:

Stay healthy, being a better climbing goat, stronger my ankle and groin so I can go crazy downhills. On the volume side, I want to be able to sustain weeks of over 65-70 mpw

2019 race schedule:

mars 2019 - Rattler

Juillet 2019 - if cant quality for Leadville at Rattler - Vermont

August 2019 - if can Qualify at Rattler - Leadville

September 2019 - if I dont do Leadville, BFC

October 2019 - Moab 240, but only if other people dont choke me

I believe its all achievable as I am taking a year off the bike and swim.

• Options

THE SECRET TO RUNNING A FASTER MARATHON? SLOW DOWN. Kipchoge says “Work hard,” “But not every day.” https://www.wired.com/2017/02/nike-two-hour-marathon-2/

The Run Durability Program reminds me of going back to the basics.

• Options

what does this Kipchoge fellow know about running???

• Options

Hello!

I just started last week with EN so this upcoming year will be my first year. The year 2018 was my first season of doing triathlons and I did one Sprint and two Olympic distances here in the northern Colorado area. Last year my weekly run mileage was only 13 miles.

In 2019 I hope to do a half Ironman distance triathlon - either Ironman 70.3 Boulder or Harvest Moon (also in Boulder). Therefore my goal is to increase my weekly running distance to hopefully 20+ miles per week, but preferable near 30. I usually feel pretty dead on the run, although I do tend to pass some people. A lot of that might have to do with poor nutrition/hydration leading up to that point so I’m working on that too.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Mark

• Options

I'm in my second year with EN. My annual average run mileage has been averaging in the the low 20's per week. I tend to get to the mid 30's as I build toward a race. Right now I am testing the concept of running every day. Two EASY miles or so on days that would have been running off days. This should bump the total mileage a bit, and keep it a little more consistent. I plan to do a 40 mile trail run in early spring so will build for that as I try balance triathlon training as well. In my mind my focus through the outseason is to build speed on the bike, but at the same time I want to maintain good run durability so the run will have to be "nothing flashy". We'll see...wish me luck!

• Options

What year of EN is this for you? Year One? Two? Ten?

I joined in 1978.   All this used to be farmer's fields back then, and we rode bikes with square tubes made of wood. 

What is Your goal for the run durability phase this year? Build to 24 miles a week? Start a run streak in month three?

50 miles per week, November through February

• Options
    edited September 22, 2018 5:24PM

Will start year 3 with EN in December. Was averaging about 25 mi a week, with my biggest weeks around 31-32 in my build-up to IMLP. Unfortunately, tore my abductor early/mid June, so mileage obviously dropped off. So, currently at about 18mpw avg for the year-to-date. Back to running 3 xs/wk, 30 min each. Going well, so looking to add a 4th session. Once I am running 4-5xs/wk with no pain, will stretch out the duration of one of those sessions, and loosely follow RDP. Planning to do all of my running this year at MP and TRP for an IM to avoid injury. Would like to train for a Feb marathon, then switch to OS, targeting another go at IMLP (maybe Quassy/Conn 70.3 as lead-up race).

• Options

1.5 years with EN (joined Feb17)

• 1.5 yrs with EN (joined Feb17)
    • 23 mpw for past 12 mos (up +10 mpw vs previous 12 mos!)
    • RDP goals are to maintain 23 mpw, and continue run streak (currently at 59 days)
    • ... then build for Rattler & Boston (hopefully!) beginning Jan19

• Options

I'm with Dave :) 10 years with EN

30 miles per week over the past 2 years

Goals are running every or almost every day between now and IM Texas in April 2019.

30+ miles/week through December

and then 40 miles through April

• Options

joined EN in October 2010 (almost 8 years!)

developed a hamstring issue last year and got sidelined after bike crash in June, so this year's stats not well.

recently started a running streak and goal is to run 20 mpw out of season, increasing with OS, and peaking in the 40s during highest weeks of IM prep, retreating back down to mid twenties to 30 after IMLP

• Options
    • I am starting my 4th year with EN
    • I have run 1139 miles the last 12 months (22 miles per week avg)
    • My goal over the next three months is to 1) run every day 2) get stronger 3) get faster 4) do a 100 mile week (split 7.2 miles X 2 runs over 7 days).
    • My race plan for 2019 is 1) Rattler 66k. If by some outside chance I get a Leadville 100 coin, I will do it (or at least discuss with wife for approval). If not 2) IMLP July 28 3) Traverse City 70.3 August 25
    • My last 2 IMs with Endurance Nation, I've enjoyed being able to run through walkers at the end of an IM. Now I'd like to run past other runners.
  • Options

*Beginning year 3 with EN

*Last year average 15mpw (slacker year)

*Goal - (1) Build to an average of 24mpw, (2) Run streak (more than 150 days - did that in 2016-2017) (3) Build speed (4) Be extremely durable!

• Options
    • Joined EN NovOS 2016. That year I averaged 15.2 mpw. In 2017 I averaged 20.7 and this year so far, my average is 21.1
    • I'd like to build up to averaging around 28-30 mpw
    • I just started day 1 of hopefully a long streak. Last year I made it 7 days. 😳
    • Other run goals include doing my first stand-alone marathon in the spring
  • Options

Joined in January of 2014 I believe so 2019 will be year 5 for me. I will be working on Chatty 70.3 but not sure what other IM races I can do. My daughter will be graduating high school and my work schedule is busy in the fall. IM Arizona is my first thought but getting in the 6 hr bike rides will be tough that time of year. Looking to continue getting my run faster and having better legs off the bike.

• Options

I just joined EN and I'm looking forward to the run durability program!

In 2018, I have averaged 21 mpw.

Goal - rebuild run after ITBS issues late 2017/early 2018. Prep for March marathon.

• Options

Joined 1/2018 (so year about to enter second season). In 2018 running was all over the place based on injuries/work but ~15ish mpw when everything is averaged but overall improved and tackled my first marathon this past year.

goal: a) more consistency, b) stay healthy, c) avg low 20s during "off season", tolerated 30 during IM build

secondary goal: improve pace by ~20 seconds/mile (get basic run pace from 9:10 to 8:50)

Races: LA marathon (3/2019), Chattanooga 70.3, IMLP

• Options

A little late to the party - but never stopped me before....in FAct I might be at the wrong party? After my intro - I have a couple of questions.

• What Year EN is this for me??? Oh Man - I think I'm going on 4 or 5 years?
    • May annual mileage over the last 12 months is tricky - and one of my questions. I have my volume since start of Jan OS, but before that, it is ish at best. What should I do for looking at monthly volume to strive for? Take the last 1+ months and divide by 10? I didn't run with a watch for a very long time, and when I did, it didn't record anything other than time so.....
    • My goal for the run durability WAS to start a running streak - But I have tried twice and failed twice. I just have too many balls up in the air (SAHM/WAHM/2yo/5yo/43old) and it's just one more thing I don't need to feel bad about not doing 100%. SO, my goal is to have something to do aside from Yoga and Strength training until the Outseason kicks in. Oh yeah, and to get faster so I can FINALLY put my partner's ONLY record in the house - a 10 mile time that I missed by just over a minute last week. I'm still crying over it.
    • I loaded up Run durability to start today - Happy to see it was an off/strength day - because work and kids took over my day and I'm just about to hit the pain cave at 8PM. I loaded up the durability for triathletes, so I could hop on my bike once a week - But I don't have a pool at the moment. What do I do about the Thursday Swims scheduled? Another ride? A specific run? Mega yoga/strength session focused on swimming muscles/actions?

Finally got my computer back from the Doctor - wiped clean :( Thankful for the threads to at least look back on until I start making it through my terabyte of backup data.....

• Options

@Leslie Schneider hello! OMG! I would say forget swimming and forget streak. Just follow the run portion of the plan and enjoy.

• Options

Joined EN June/July 2016

This will be my 3rd OutSeason and 2nd year of RDP

Last 365 Avg: 21.2 miles average weekly

Im not much on run streaks, nightshift work calls for more rest at times but I wanna bump up the weekly average to 25-30.

• Options

I joined EN in Oct 2016, so this will be my 3rd OutSeason.

I've averaged 14 miles per week over the last year. I'm still be stuck in the injury/recovery cycle: build up to 25 mi/week, hurt my knee or calf so I'm off for a week or two, then a slowly build back to 25 mi/week, repeat. Hopefully this is the year I solve this run-durability puzzle!

My goal is to consistently maintain 25 mi/week over the next year. No run streaks, except when traveling.

• Options

I joined EN in 2009 but have jumped in and out since then usually mixing the plans with others that I have used through the years. I haven't done much since IM Texas '17 so ready to get back at it. This time my goal is to just stay with the EN way of doing things and see how it plays out.

• Options

Joined EN in 2010, and followed the program for the first few years , but then got spotty because of work, life, and general laziness. Decided I had enough of it and started getting back in shape, around the time I switched jobs this summer.

Yearly average is ~8 mpw, but since I have ran more miles per week each of the last three months, then any prior monthly totals its probably a bit off. Averaged ~30 mpw the last couple months @ 6 runs per week.

Current goal once I finish Bike focus block on 11/4 is to ramp run volume from current 35 mpw to 50 mpw and hold there. I will likely start a run streak as I build to the 50, but no specific goals on for how long. Other goals are to get the runs in consistently, build our 9 month old Australian Shepard up to do some of the shorter runs with me, do some trail running, then start to push on pace/threshold work after I have settled back into the distance.

• Options

Question about Run Durability 2:

On Saturdays, it's showing ABP Bike + Run. Does it matter what order these are done it? Should it always be a brick or can it be a reverse brick?

• Options

Hi @Janyne Kizer , There is a nice EN podcast about the order of run/bike. From what I've gathered, it is really up to what best works for you so you can get the work down. BUT, unless you are in race prep phase, I think the team dogma would recommend running first. You will run with better form, and some suggest you are more likely to practice race-like (or just better) nutrition if you have to run first. Then as you get closer to race-prep phase, doing some runs off the bike becomes more important.

• Options

@Francis Picard

Dude- Really??

October 2019 - Moab 240, but only if other people dont choke me

Have you watched Courtney Dauwalter on youtube at all? She is so chill and badass it's kind of crazy.

• Options

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm excited to give run durability a try.

• What year of EN is this for you? Year One? Two? Ten?

Numero UNO!!

• What was your annual run mileage weekly average from the last 12 months? 15 miles? 18? 24?

That's my problem...the answer is 8.44. I took 2 months off from almost all things endurance to train for a water polo tournament, but I know I can still do better than this.

• What is Your goal for the run durability phase this year? Build to 24 miles a week? Start a run streak in month three?

My goal is to build a stable volume of around 15 - 20 without triggering those niggles. A month before my last 70.3, I had to cut way back due to random IT band issues. This was probably due to an overseas work trip of 8 days where I almost exclusively ran. I had a half marathon the week before and I think this might have been too much all at once.

• Bonus - Picture of you / your kicks / your running pup or your favorite route!

This is Goblin Valley, a state park in Utah and the site of a really fun November half marathon I completed. They have marathon and 50K distances as well if anyone wants to check this out (www.goblinvalleyultra.com). I have no conflicts of interest to declare. :)

• Options

Ok just can’t get started!! - need some motivational help and accountability

• What Year EN is this for me??? Just joined EN>
    • May annual mileage over the last 12 months is tricky - I have been a couch potato the last 12 months.. My last Ironman was in 2017 and after about 10 years and 8 Ironmans. My mind needed a break from following a schedule.
    • My goal for the run durability is just get off the couch and start running again.. Don’t get me wrong I have stayed in some shape.. Telemark skiing.. Skining up the mountain, some strength training and bike.. but I need to get back to making it a habit and start following a plan.
    • I loaded up Run durability to start today - what do they say third time is a charm.

Ok so here is my plan.. take it one week at a time and stay on schedule for the next 4 weeks!!