Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Brian Hagan - 2018 IM Wisconsin Race Report

FYI... My race plan is here.

Morning of Race Woke at 3:00 AM. Between then and 4:30, I ate 2 cliff bars (forgot to buy Vega) and drank 2 Naked Smoothies and a cup of coffee. I met friends in the hotel lobby at 5:00 and went to T1. I put air in my tires, and I placed helmet and glasses on aero bars. Went to run bag and placed room key in running belt. Went back to room and put on wet-suit (shoot, I forgot to make the 6:00 team photo). It was a little chilly in the morning.

By the time I got back to the swim start area it was packed. I should have taken @Rich Stanbaugh 's advice and gotten there early. I was only able to push my way up to the last third of the 1:10 to 1:20 area.

Swim I thought the swim had a lot of contact. I know I would have been better off starting ahead of the 1:10 area. I do not really like swimming over people, so I ended up swimming around a lot of people. I kept looking for open water and getting away from crowds. I swam a lot on the inside of the buoys, but I noticed a was drifting left. Every now and then, I would point a little right to compensate. Once I made the second turn of the rectangle to head back, I was against the slight current and wind and the water was a little rough. It was not too bad, but enough to swallow water every now and then.

My swim time ended up being a 1:21. I am a little disappointed with that. My actual swim pace was 1:43/yard and actual yards swam was 4,726. So, I swam an extra 570 yards! I could have had a 1:13 swim if I went straight!

So, my actual swim was 1:21:01. 83 out of 210 in age group (40% were faster than me).

Link to TP

Link to Strava

T1 - I got out and hobbled to the wetsuit stripper. I am very uncoordinated, but even more so when I get out of an 1:21 swim. After she helped me stand, I took off running. I was actually happy that I was able to run barefoot on concrete. The climb up the helix was a little difficult. I saw @Jeremy Behler as I was going into the bike bag room. I dumped shoes on the ground and put on feet. I put wetsuit, cap and goggles in bag. I grabbed arm coolers and bag, handed bag to volunteer and started running out. I saw Jeremy when I first ran out of the building heading towards my bike. Much to his disappointment, I went into a porto potty and peed Z5 forever. I do not have the talent of easily urinating all over myself on the bike and wanted to start fresh.

As I was running to my bike, volunteers kept asking where my helmet was. It was on my bike. In hindsight, I think I could have saved time by putting the helmet and glasses on while running to my bike. When I got to my bike, a volunteer went to hand me my bike, but I had to stop and put on my helmet and sunglasses first.

Actual time 9:20 -- 43 out of 210 in my age group. 20% were faster than me. @Todd Glass was fastest at 5:11. 4:09 faster than me. How the heck did he do that?

Bike -

Link to TP

Link to Strava

OK... I have not mentioned nutrition yet. Normally, I would have had a couple of gels while waiting for the swim to start. I did not. I knew I needed some calories so I took an 4 swigs of my infinit (1 hour's worth) concentrate ( 302 calories, 403mg sodium, Osmolality 277). I also drank 2 bottles of GE lemon lime (90 calories, 22g carbs, 300mg sodium each) that were already on my bike over the first hour.

After one hour, I took another 1 hour swig of Infinit concentrate and got a bottle of orange GE endurance and water.

Swim: 0 calories
Bike Hour 1:  482 calories; 1003 mg sodium
Bike Hour 2: 347 Calories; 553 mg sodium
Bike Hour 3: 347 Calories; 553 mg sodium
Bike Hours 4,5: 302 Calories; 403 mg sodium
Bike Hour 6: 0

The GE endurance started to get really hard to stomach after 1 hour. I felt like there was a brick in my stomach after hour #2. I was really biking well the first couple of hours. In hindsight, I should have had 2 gels before the swim and started with water and Infinite to start with some GE mixed in a little later or not even any GE all.

First 5 miles NP = 175  ; HR = 138
First 20 miles NP = 190 ; HR = 133
Miles 20 to 40 NP = 190 ; HR = 128
Miles 40 to 60 NP =  178 (it dropped at mile 50) ; HR = 128
Mile 60 to 80 NP = 167 ; HR = 127
Mile 80 to 100  NP = 153 ; HR = 123
Mile 100 to 110.84  NP = 152 ; HR = 124

After Cross Plains before the three big climbs (about 42 miles in) I went over 2 railroad tracks. I got a flat here during our informal camp 5 weeks earlier. I heard a noise and thought I had a flat. I pulled over and noticed the plastic bike repair compartment on my bike had broken off.

I did not want to throw it away and litter, and I know I needed it for warranty, so I stuck it in my shirt and rode to the next aid station.

A volunteer at the aid station was able to get some duct tape and we reattached it to the bike. I probably lost about 5 minutes with this.

I thought I executed the hills well. I spun as much as possible and easy as possible going up. Going down, I kept pedaling unless I spun out. I believe I got a little aggressive trying to catch people on the way down that passed me on the way up. I could have been a little more reserved going down the hills. I had a mid compact (52/36) with an 11/28 11 speed cassette. I probably could have had a 50/34. I know the second lap I would have liked a 50/34.

I felt horrible at the end of the bike. The last 15 miles into town into the wind felt like forever. I was getting cranky and just wanted off the bike.

My bike time ended up being 6:30:32. I was 93 out of 210 in my AG for the bike. 44% were faster than me. This was my worst discipline of the day. I will blame a bit of this on execution, but as mentioned in my race plan, I did not bring the fitness level to this race that I normally would. I believe better execution (of nutrition and wattage) would have gotten me under (or closer to) 6 hours and better fitness would have gone even further.

T2 - Rode up the helix and got off bike. Kept shoes on and ran to change room. Dumped bag. Put on socks, shoes and EN trucker hat. Put bike shoes, helmet and glasses in bike and gave to a volunteer and "ran" out.

My best discipline of the 5! I passed 4 people! My time was 3:57. 25 out of 210. 12% were faster than me.

Run -

Link to TP

Link to Strava

The start of the run went horrible. After the first mile I went by my hotel and I was ready to quit. My stomach still felt like it had a brick in it and my toenails were hurting. This may sound weird, but I cut them the night before a little too much and the skin at the end of the toenails really hurt. Each step was painful. I could not imagine going a whole marathon with this feeling. I started to walk back to the start when @Todd Glass went by. He encouraged me to get going. Also, I had my EN kit on and was a little embarrassed to start walking the wrong way. I also could not think of what I would tell my family, friends, teammates and co workers. I sat for a few minutes and thought about quitting. This delay was about 10 minutes.

I decided to get moving in the right direction. With each step, the toenail pain was less and less. I made it to a porto pottie and peed. That seemed to relieve some of the pressure in my stomach. I started my plan of Red bull at the aid stations and that also helped give me some energy. I suddenly remembered that I did this for fun and everything started to feel good again. I picked up my pace and started moving.

At every aid station a would have a minimum of water. I had Red bull at every other and I ate bananas, oranges and coke for calories. I also got a tube of those salt licks at around mile 4.8. Those also made me feel better. At my the first time through the observatory, an EN member (Steven) that I had not met started running next to me. We walked up the steep part of the climb, but I ran most of the way.

On my way back into town I saw Jeremy again. I was feeling really good by then. That is a smile....

My second time through the stadium, the turf felt so soft. I gave gang sign. I'm trying to smile....

Avg pace for the first 13 miles was 10:51.

Avg Pace for the last rest was 10:12.

I am so glad I kept going and finished! I ended up with a 4:39:41. Not my best, but my longest run was 15 miles and the most I could run without discomfort was 10. I mentioned blood clots in my race plan that affected my build and training. I was really worried I would end up walking the last 10 miles, but they were never an issue. As a matter of fact, I am pretty positive they are all gone. For the run I was 62 out of 210 in my age group. 30% were faster than me.

Overall - I finished in 12:44:31. 66 out of 210. 31% were faster than me. Besides T1 and T2, the run was my best discipline of the day!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Very impressive recovery @Brian Hagan ! When I passed you on the run you did not look very good, later when you passed me back you looked great and I never saw you again! Way to stick with it! Props to @Todd Glass for that needed motivation!

• Options

Some rookie mistake on your nutrition? I think you had other concerns distracting you as layed out in your race plan. Bummer on the storage box, way to stay in your box and solve it. I know someone who had one of those Trek boxes lodge in between the bike frame/wheel and cause a crash. Some people will do anything to negative split the IRONMAN run. 😀 In my oddities leading into a race is haircut 3 weeks out, fingernails and toe nails get cut one week out! If we quit, when we quit, we have no one to answer to but ourselves. I think this is one race you will look back on and be happy with your decision. This may seem obvious but I don’t think it is. You went into this thing knowing you were not 100%, we wanna make sure if we quit we do it for the right reasons, which to me are physical/health and not just a weak mental game. Anyway I am happy that you got to race and your blood clot issues appear to be in that rear view mirror.

• Options

I'm glad you hung in there to finish @Brian Hagan -- especially as the run turned out to be your best leg. As I read through this I thought of that Clint Eastwood movie The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Swim was Bad, bike was Ugly, and run was Good

That swim looked tough; even the pro women had relatively slow times. Swimming in choppy water isn't easy and nearly impossible to practice. I think you did fine considering your starting position and the conditions

The bike, well, I think it all started with nutrition. And it wasn't the GE. It was slugging down that concentrated Infinit. It was way too much for your system to handle, and you never recovered from that first-hour overload. Kudos on getting through that last half, as the rear box issue was a major challenge

Nice work on that run. A 39-second-per-mile negative split is pretty impressive. In the picture Jeremy took your run form looks really good, you have a nice forward lean. And the EN team sign photo is good too -- thankfully you're not smiling because it just looks just plain silly to smile while flashing the team sign

• Options

@Paul Curtin - I did the Infinit concentrate all through UM training and for my Ultraman with no issues. I just never did it at the start of the hour. It was always 30 to 60 minutes into the ride. My challenge is that I rarely start any bike ride preceded with an hour + swim except maybe once per year. Even if I did a race rehearsal, I am not running from a lake to my bike. I think my issue was taking the Infint + Gatorade right away. I don't think I needed the GE. I would have been better off with water. That's my story and I'm sticking too it.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

@tim cronk Yes. So many lessons learned and it was #5 IM. This is what makes me want to keep going!

• Options

@Alan Brown - Yes! I think that was the first time I have ever come back like that. It know it felt good seeing you the second time!

• Options

@brain hagen, way to push through! I enjoyed our riding time a few weeks back. You my friend, are a class act!

• Options

@Brian Hagan Interesting that the run ended up being your best discipline when you felt bad and thinking of not finishing the race. I think you are right about the nutrition fumble. 48 ounces of GE in one hour along with Infinite backed up the train. Truly a blessing to hear your blood clots were not an issue.

#5 IM - Hotel California. You can check out but you can never leave. 😎

• Options

Yeah that makes better sense Brian; both the I and G combined caused the issue. So glad you recovered nicely. There's a mental fortitude component to this stuff we do, and you had the right internal dialog to push through the day

• Options

Awwwww @Brian Hagan you candor is SO helpful.

Congratulations on getting it done and thank you for sharing the deets of where you may have gone wrong as it certainly will help you and others.

FWIW I totally messed up my nutrition on IM #6 . The silver lining is it caused me to start from scratch (vs make an iterative change) and after refinement in #7 I really got it dialed in and have had zero problems (knock on wood) for 8-10. Had it not gone horribly wrong I probably wouldn't have made a leap forward. Betting you'll have a similar experience. #Ninja!

AWESOME report and fantastic accomplishment!

• Options

Brian,

Huge congrats on getting this done! Tracked you all day. It’s tough going into any IM less than 100%, but Moo is particularly mean to those who come in short-handed (even T1 is tough). One of the biggest misconceptions in IM racing is “I’ve got to quickly replace calories after the swim or I’ll bonk!” Virtually nobody bonks on the IM bike. That gargantuan breakfast you ate (two Clif Bars and all its fat, protein and fiber was nuts, IMO) would have held you over for many more hours. The nutrition figures you quoted for GE are accurate, but each bottle contains two servings. So . . . if you really put down two full bottles + Infinit, that could have been 650 calories and 150-60g of carbs in the first hour of the bike (2x what your stomach can likely digest). For most of us, that would have been lights out, game over. It made your tough day tougher, but you still overcame and triumphed (until you’re laying in the grass on the side of the road puking, you havent’t matched my IM nutritional blunders). You should be extremely proud of this accomplishment.

Mike

• Options

@Mike Roberts wrote: " (until you’re laying in the grass on the side of the road puking, you havent’t matched my IM nutritional blunders)"

Tell us a photograph of that moment exists somewhere. Oh, the memes we could make.

• Options

Congratulations @Brian Hagan! Really great race report and way to stick it out. That was a huge breakfast. Wow! Really great that you convinced yourself to keep going after it appeared you'd already given up. Your running form in that photo is something I would like to get too!

• Options

Excellent work digging deep and getting it done! Any day you cross the finish line is a good day!

• Options

Congrats on a tough day @Brian Hagan ! The fact that you were able to right the ship when you were listing badly to port early on your run speaks volumes on your tenacity. It was great to ride with you and get hill lessons on the bike. Look forward to racing with you again in the future.

• Options

nothing short of Epic, but I've come to expect that from an Ultraman..

I echo the comments on the breakfast, hopefully you figure out the health issues and have your best race in 2019 (at LP with me I hope!)

• Options

Very few in this sport learn to ride out the rough patches and get back on track. Perhaps that is what you take from this?

• Options

Was great spending the weekend with you on the course. I was super impressed with what you did, other than the time you wasted in the port-o-jon!!!!

After your DVT issues that run was stable and consistent. You were in control the whole time. Execution trumps fitness every time.

• Options

@Brian Hagan

On nutrition, you went liquid for the bike, no solids up front? Confirming? I think @Mike Roberts got it right assessing the breakfast you had. I try to taper solids as much as possible after lunch the day before.

Did you train with GE during your RRs?

I looked at both the Bike and run Strava file links (The TP links are not public) IMWI is a course that favors those whom live close by and have time to practice the course. IMWI bike course is tough, it will shred your legs as you learned. Your VI, 1.09 (170/156) left some efficiency on the table but, honestly, its difficult to ride that course smoother with out multiple practice days up front.

Way to dig very deep and KMF during the beginning of that run. Damn tough mental abilities to get out of that hole and pull off an entire marathon having to begin that way! Holding the line on the back half just spells bad ass and veteran!

You did get it done!

Sincere congratulations!

• Options

Way to overcome a tough day and end with a better than expected run. Thanks for sharing the full scope of your thoughts during your race. There's a big take away in your report that many can learn from. You were on the verge of stopping and fortunately decided to try to keep moving forward, then things turned around into a good run. You dug yourself out of that deep dark place!! Congratulations!

• Options

great and honest report - I am sure what mentally made you go through is that UM thing. You know you can get dark and deep and still finish, so probably thats what your mind told you and your body accepted it.

I think breakfast was a big too big too, maybe next time setup an alarm earlier and eat half of this and then eat the other half when you wake up ?

FVGK !!!

• Options

@Brian Hagan Tough race and a lot of lesson learned. I like the line about doing this for fun and that turned your day around. I've DNF'ed twice in an IM and the 1st one at the old IM Canada course still haunts me as I just quit after the bike. Got a few things wrong nutrition wise and was much slower than anticipated so I pulled the pin in T2 sitting on a chair. 20' later as I was walking to the hotel I was pissed that I did not keep going.

• Options

Great report Brian! Thank you for sharing all the ups and downs! I have had a race where I wanted nothing more than to quit. NOTHING MORE. All I had to do was finish to get a slot to Long course worlds....but even that temptation didn't quell my desire to STOP. My coach at the time came running my direction carrying a big stick. LOL. Couldn't quit and find out what the stick was for! Needless to say I finished (not in a negative split like you did you bad ass!) and I am happy that I did. While this race may not be your PB, I think you will be very proud of the effort and mental fortitude it took you to get the the capital for a very long time. Congratulations and recover hard friend!

PS...YAY! Glad the DVT is GONE!

• Options

Great RR @Brian Hagan ! There are so many moving parts in IM that making great Plans is necessary, but not sufficient to Finishing and achieving goals.

You stayed in your Box to deal with nutrition and mechanical snafu's, which was very cool ... but the best for me was conjuring up the "1 Thing" that kept you going on the Run.

Lot's of take-away's here, but that's the key one for me ... Good On Ya'!

(and being an Ultra-Man probably helped too!)

• Options

That beard rocks!

Funny you mentioned that the swim had lot of contact. I wonder if there is more contact based on the new format of "mass" swim starts based on finishing times. I never had any problem with contact except last year at Steelhead when the swim start changed to a "mass' start based on finish times. This is the only time I've experienced getting kicked in the face/body multiple times.

Congrats Ironman!

• Options

Just starting this race was a victory for you. When I got to your line, "I suddenly remembered that I did this for fun and everything started to feel good again." I knew that the Full Brian is back in town!

I think the number and quality of the responses to your report reflects so well on you. Those of us who know you, whether in person or online, have come to expect a positive, persistent effort any time you are out there. And a lot of fun when you're not! Thanks...

That QR box looks awfully familiar. The same thing happened to me this weekend. On Saturday, I did a five hour ride which included a lot of miles on a really ratty bike path which has many cantilevered sections with asphalt seams. The next morning, I was due to ride back to way I came. I pulled the bike from the back of the car, and the box fell off. Same exact picture .. I managed a ride with a spare seat pack I had back home, after I messaged QR. They are sending me a new system for $50. They claim the adhesive (which is what really holds it to the seat post) is new, improved auto adhesive. We'll see...

• Options

@Brian Hagan It was great to FINALLY get to meet you at the EN Team dinner. You are a badass. I agree that this yr's swim was a beotch! Which I think cause a bit of a hole setting up the start of your day (I think I had the exact same issue). But when you started in a hole, you also started digging with your first hour gut bomb... That's literally the most concentrated calories I have heard of in the first hour of an IM bike. The breaking gear box sucks, but you handled it like a champ. As you did handling the early run demons. Given your sub-optimal training leading into this thing, those voices to stop and not start again must have been VERY strong. Major props to you for getting it back together and for having an amazing neg split on the run. Super hard to do that on optimal training and fitness, let alone after all of your obstacles that you clawed your way over... Major kudos to you. I sure hope the clot issue is in your past for good. It'll be a lot better feeling rolling into your next race fully trained, tapered and with a smoother fueling plan. Will be fun to watch what can happen then.

• Options

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I finally had an opportunity to go through and read all of your comments, and I am very appreciative for all of the great feedback you all left for me!

@Jeff Kane - Thanks! It was a pleasure riding with you on le Zwift a few weeks ago!

@Sheila Leard - Yes! I am happy it is so obvious now. Your input to the team is very helpful!

@Jenn Edwards - Thanks! Its funny it took you till #6. I am looking forward to taking what I learned her to #6!

@Mike Roberts - OMG! I've been calculating GE at 1/2 the calories all along. I'm so glad you noticed!

@Tim Sullivan - Thanks! I can usually straiten my back and do a good lean when someone points a camera at me. I'd love to work on cadence and power. I've heard that hills are good for that! FYI... It's always a pleasure riding and racing with you in Zwift. I'm looking forward to next March in Austin.

@Gabe Peterson - Thanks Gabe!

@Jeff Horn - It was so cool sharing a portion of the bike with you! We will race again (for sure at Rattler)!

@scott dinhofer - Thanks! I will see you in Placid for sure!

@Brian Quarton - Yes sir!

@Jeremy Behler - Thanks for being an awesome Super Sherpa! I really learned a lot from you at the informal camp and during race week. Best of luck at Kona!

@Shaughn Simmons - My race rehearsals were pretty lame for this one. I did not actually do the proper S,B,R and thought I had enough experience. I was obviously wrong.

I cannot eat solids at all on the bike. I start choking and can't breath. I would have to pull over, eat an then go. I do liquids because of this and this is why I chose the infinite route.

A 1.09 VI is good for me on a course with elevation. When I coast and then start back pedaling again, I think I hit the cranks a little hard and that always bumps it up. It's something I need to work on more.

I thought of you at the start of the run. KMF is what got me moving in the right direction. Thanks!

@Derrek Sanks - Thanks man! Good luck in Kona! I thought of you on the run!

@Francis Picard - Yes! Breakfast was too big. It is similar to what I did for UM, but i ate cliff instead of Vega. I ate at 3:00 and 4:30 and the swim did not start until 7.

@Gordon Cherwoniak - Thanks for sharing!

@Trish Marshall - Thanks! Good to not find out what the stick was for!

@Rory Gumina - Thanks!

@Chris Ciannella - Yes. I have never done a big mass start, but I could see how that would even out quick. The tough thing about rolling start is people over seeding themselves.

@Al Truscott - That was very kind of you to say! The new QR box is on the way with the new adhesive. Including you and I, I know of 3 people that have had this issue. Other than that, I love the bike!

@John Withrow - I was so glad to get to meet you at the team dinner! Thanks for all the input!

• Options
    edited September 25, 2018 3:50PM

@Brian Hagan I was giving some thought to the whole "I can't eat solids on the bike" discussion that both you and @Danielle Santucci had.

Rather than "I can't" I think it is "I am currently unable". Nutrition, like Swim/Bike/Run is about training.

Use your training to experiment. Try different solids (Stroopwaffles!)..start out slow..maybe 50 calories at first, then up it from there. It's no different than learning to pee on the bike. Or building your strength on the bike. If you start out with an FTP of 175 you would have said "I can't generate 175 watts for 6 hours"....but after you push yourself in training and build that FTP up to 250 now 175 watts for 6 hours is doable. Nutrition is so critical for 140.6. You aren't going to lose all of your fitness on race day, but a nutrition mistake or sub-optimization could have the same impact.

• Options

@Brian Hagan What a great RRT. You did great and I can't believe the repair comp. broke off and you ended up carrying it. AWESOME!!! Great job and way to stay in the game!