Home General Training Discussions
Options

Your 2017-2018 Run Durability Season Review Thread

Every year we ask that you capture some lessons learned so you can continue to Grow as an athlete.

For those of you who used the Run Durability Program (RDP) program starting in 2017, and possibly built it into a Run Streak, it's about time to "wrap" your year!

Please take a moment to write down what you were able to do this season (October 2017 to October 2018) in terms of running (miles, runs, etc), and your three biggest takeaways.

Thanks in advance!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    edited September 16, 2018 12:22PM

Oct ‘17 to Oct ‘18 (almost): 935 mi. Did 100 day run streak that started Sept 28th and ended Jan 5th. Came within fractions of a second of my PR at a local half marathon in May. Had the fastest run in my AG at Syracuse 70.3 and ran my way to 3rd place.

I ended up injured going into Syracuse—torn abductor, so have had to do a lot of soul-searching, since the RDP for me was to help make me more injury-proof. The RDP did its job, but I didn’t do mine. Here are the takeaways:

1. The RDP went a long way to helping me run longer and faster. The faster got me into trouble. Once I started IM training, I should have done more running at TRP—my REAL TRP, and not what I thought I might be able to do with my shiny new speed.
    2. As a small “Baby Boomer” (ok, 59 yo) female, I HAVE to do strength training year round. No longer negotiable.
    3. ALWAYS listen to your body, and don’t be a slave to the training plan. You will always be faster if you are running the entire run leg of a tri, even if you are running slower because you’re a little under-trained, than you would be walking because you’re injured.
  • Options

Last fall, for the first time in my tri career dating back to '99, I had no race scheduled in Oct/Nov. I was feeling lost, so started the RDP, each of the three four-week modules. No speed work nor any distance greater than 5 miles. At the end, I was VERY surprised to turn in a 22:08 5K Turkey Trot, and a similar time for the New Years day Resolution Run. I thought one needed to run fast in training to race fast. Not so, at least at my age.

Let's not talk about what happened the day after that last 5K, when I put too much weight on the squat machine and ended my run streak...

• Options

for me, last October was the start of course for "out season", As I approach my 5th race IMAZ and have completed 4 x 70.3, I can say it is the run base that has helped me the most. I have come to enjoy the run, slowly increasing my miles ,and trending faster speeds, my half marathon races have trended faster. This past Friday after 100 mile ride the 10 K was not hard. So my advise is to stay consistent.