Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Sarah Smith Syden Official Coach Thread

Sarah -

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

So great to have you on the Team to get ready for MCM!!! Big changes to consider for you:

• Race Sim workout this weekend...you can do either day but it's "another" 18-miler for you...hopefully ok.
  • The "basic week" has a mid-week longish run and on the weekend...will that work for you?
  • I think the weekly mileage will map to your 35 miles, but let's keep an eye on it.

Also I would like you to check out our MCM resource page here.

Finally, when we do talk (https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min) please be ready to talk about your race day goals!!!

Your Races

• 10/28/18 Marine Corps Marathon

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 20, 2018
  • Marathon Plan through 10/28/2018
  • On 10/29/18 load the Post Marathon Recovery Program (2 weeks)
  • On 11/12/2018 Load the--Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on12/9/2018
  • On 12/10/2018 Load the--Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/6/2019
  • Decide on Next Season Steps!

Your Notes

Recent race history - this "season,' I raced at Ironman Mt Tremblant 70.3 and also at Ironman Maine 70.3. I had a coach through the first but not through the second. I had a lot of very unpleasant life stuff happen over the summer which impacted my reason to drop my coach at the time so I could just train "for fun" and kind of do a reset. 

Current fitness. I haven't been biking or swimming. I am currently training for Marine Corps Marathon. I am averaging about 35 miles per week of running and have been doing so for about a month since coming off from Maine 70.3. My long run is up at 18 miles. Right now I'm just running and sneaking in a little bit of yoga as I get ready for Marine Corps Marathon. I generally work out 6 days per week. I'd like to be faster and fitter... wouldn't we all?! :)

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider 2018 a success?

• What's your biggest limiter right now?

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread.

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!

• General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!

• Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the targeted forum for that topic. Power questions to the Power and Pace Forum. Race questions to your specific race forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hey thanks for all of this Patrick. I appreciate it. Everything looks good here.

I know ive gotta start making some plans for 2019 and I’m hoping to do so in the next month or so. I’m guessing I’ll start racing in early June and likely will be looking for two 70.3’s again. One towards the beginning of the season and one towards the end. So at some point I’m guessing that outseason programs would be appropriate as well.

talk soon.

thanks!

• Options

No worries. Let’s get thru MCM first (check that resource page linked above), including a race plan submitted to the Team, etc.

Lets make the most of this window down we can go from there!

• Options
    edited December 31, 2018 5:13PM

@Sarah Smith Syden

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I'd love to hear more about how your 2018 season wrapped up, and where your body is at. I have a plan for you below, but knowing where you are at will be really helping in making sure this plan is the right "next" step for you. If you have a Race Report to point me towards, you can do that, or maybe you want to follow the Year End Review stuff (here)...your call!

In the meantime, your 2019 season roadmap is below. Very straightforward to use our new OutSeason Plan to get ready, just in time for your 13.1. Then it's off to train for Patriot, doing the Short Course race along the way. Nothing too flashy here unless you have some other goals / focus points I should consider. Let me know!

Your Races

• 04/13/19 Helderberg to Hudson Half Marathon
    • 05/11/19 Battenkill Medio Fondo (42 miler)
    • 06/02/2019 (Triathlon-Olympic) Escape the Cape
    • Patriot HIM (2019-06-23) #PatriotHalf_19    

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 12/28/2018
    • On 1/7/2019  Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
    • On 4/15/2019 Load the    EN*Half Run Focused to end on 06/30/2019
    • On 7/1/2019  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/14/2019</p>

Your Notes

None Submitted...

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

I don't have a race report to point you to. And when I click on the year end stuff it looks like a broken link or something.

2018 wasn't my worst and it wasn't my best. I had some big family issues pop up mid season (death of a brother) that really derailed any training etc. Or when I did train it was without a focus. Marine Corps didn't go the way I had hoped likely for a couple of reasons. I had a lot of work commitments that kept me busy right up until the race. I literally had to work until 11:30 PM Friday night, board a plane at 6:00 am on Saturday and then race on Sunday. I think that messed with my psyche and I wasn't where I should be.

Anyway that's 2018. For 2019, I'd like to stay focused on 70.3 but I'd like to improve my times significantly. I recognize that I need to focus if that's going to happen. So! I've started strength training and need to follow the training plan. No one is going to make me do it but me.

Another race I forgot to include is the medio fondo at Battenkill. And if all goes successfully, I'll probably add Pumpkinman 70.3 in September if I can figure out childcare. Otherwise it will be the Lake George 70.3.

Thanks and let me know if you want something more formal for the year end report.

• Options

@Sarah Smith Syden -

Okay, no worries on the Race Report. We find Reports to be helpful, but They aren't required.

As for the year end stuff, thanks for catching that bad link...I hate it when that happens. Here's the proper one: December '18: Year End Review Might be worthwhile to review, anyway so we have a better understanding of what's possible (past) and what you can get to work on right away (result of the last 6 to 10 weeks of training).

So sorry to hear about the loss of your brother; I completely understand how that can make a whole year just slip out of your grasp.

I do appreciate how you are focusing on getting back into a routine; it's the best way forward. We can have you do the Medio Fondo on 5/11 as part of your build to the Half, that's a no brainer.

• Options

Just checking in. I realized that the date above for Patriot HIM is wrong and should be 6/15. Shall I go ahead and load the plan with an end date of 6/15?

• Options

Sarah - Coach P is frolicking in the sun at the EN Cycling camp in Mallorca and will be out of pocket until he gets back. He's asked a few of us to respond for him.

Yes, please load up the plan with the correct ending date. However, I would finish this week as planned , then make the date change to June 15 so you are starting on the right week Monday. There's still a lot of time between now and your half, and it's important that you are on the right schedule the last month for the final race rehearsal, taper week and so on. It won't hurt you to advance one week ahead but just be cautious on the key workouts for the next two weeks so that you aren't overdoing it too quickly.