Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

[Member Led Camp] Second Annual EN Epic Moab Camp - 3/20-3/24/19

Off-Road Adventures

I am super excited to host the second annual EN Epic Moab Camp! There was interest in the camp based on the report from the inaugural camp this year, Adventures in the Red Rocks, so we're rocking again next year. Last year we did some trail runs, but most of the riding was on the roads. I think we may have been the first ever to ride triathlon bikes into Canyonlands!

This year the theme is off-road adventures. This fits in well with EN going ultra -- something like 20 EN athletes are planning to toe the line at Austin Rattler next year. I set this camp three weeks before, making it a perfect camp week before Rattler. This would also be a good option for anyone considering Moab 240 (I am!) to preview the area.

Training activities will include:

1. Trail running. Examples will include sunrise run up to Delicate Arch or through the Devil's Playground in Arches National Park (see the pics from last year).
  2. MTBing and gravel grinding. I have both kinds of bikes. I'm considering doing the Rattler King, which is a 100k MTB Saturday and 60k run Sunday. Moab is the mecca of MTBing, justifiably so. I'd love to do White Rim in a day (WRIAD) again, a 80-100 mile MTB ride through the remote reaches of Canyonlands National Park that is an absolute bucket list ride. It's not very technical, so you don't have to be a MTB stud, just have a big engine. There are also tons of great options for gravel grinding, like exploring the remote parts of Arches that most visitors never see.

I'll give road options for campers who want them. As you can read from last year's camp, they are plentiful and also epic.

Why Moab?

Moab is one of my most favorite places on the planet! Moab is located on the Colorado River and is a short drive (or bike ride) to Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Dead Horse Point State Park.  Arches and Canyonlands are two of my favorite national parks, and Dead Horse would the treasure of just about any other state.  Moab is considered the premiere destination for mountain biking and trail running. It also has epic road biking and miles of paved paths for road running. This is a very family friendly destination.  My girls have a blast every time we go and they always ask when we're going back to Moab. If you've never been to Moab, you're missing out!

When?

We'll arrive the afternoon of Wednesday, March 6th and rage until Sunday, March 10. I've secured a home base the will hold 8 campers comfortably. If I get more interest, I'll start a waitlist and consider either getting a larger house or second home base. I'm making the room assignments based on the order I receive $250 deposits from campers.

Who's In (as of 2/7)?

Update 2/7: Looks like we have a pretty full house. @Mark Maurer had to withdraw since he's doing Alohaman but @Mark Stahlkopf and @John Stark confirmed. I could probably squeeze one more camper in.

Definite / Deposit Sent:

@Gabe Peterson

@tim cronk and Heather Webber

@Dave Campbell

@Mark Stahlkopf

@John Stark

How Do I Learn More?

I created a Facebook group called EN Epic Moab Training Camp. Join the group and contribute to the discussion. Or post on this thread if you're not on FB.

Comments

• Options

Flight Options

For folks who would fly in, here are some options:

1. Salt Lake City, UT. There is a Delta hub here, so tons of flight options. You can ride down with me. It's about a 3.5 hour drive from SLC to Moab.
    2. Las Vegas, NV. This would be a great option to take in all 5 of Utah's National Parks. You could hit Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef on the way to Moab or back. Arches and Canyonlands are near Moab. It's about a 6.5 hour drive from Vegas.
    3. Grand Juntion, CO. This is a regional airport, so probably not too many options for direct flights. It's about a 1.5 hour drive.
    4. Moab, UT. I didn't know there were commercial flights to the airport at Moab, as I've only seen private aircraft there. Just did a search on Google Flights and it looks like United has a regional flight to and from Moab once or twice per day from Denver. You could connect via Denver. Doing a search on the camp dates, you'd get in around 3PM Wednesday and leave around 10AM Sunday for $150 plus whatever your connecting flights cost.
  • Options

I created a group discussion for this camp on GroupMe. Follow the link below if you'd like to join:

• Options

Ok, I may be in. Have to soft sell the wifey first.

Will be too early for the Whole Enchilada? I am a DH guy at heart.

• Options

Ok. I am in.

BOOM!

• Options

I updated the first post to reflect the current camp attendees. Looks like we'll have a pretty full house but might be able to squeeze one more in.

@John Stark I doubt the Whole Enchilada will be rideable in March. There will probably be snow in the La Sal Mountains, especially if we get the big snow year that's predicted. However, there are tons of other options so we should have no shortage of fresh trails to ride and run.

• Options

We're moving the dates of the Moab Camp to arrive Wednesday, March 20 and depart Sunday, March 24. This works out better because it's been a cold winter in Utah this year, so much less likely to be frosty in late March. Additionally, we'll incorporate the Behind the Rocks race into the camp for the runners. It has 10-mile, 30k, 50k, and 50-mile options.

If you are interested in joining the camp with the new dates, reach out to me.